No announcement yet.

Flip this car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's cable pull clutch - pulling on the pedal shouldn't do anything. I think a little bit of grey metal slime on the plug is not totally uncommon. Chunks are a problem. Filings are a problem.

so it's quiet in Neutral deceleration and clutch in / gear engaged deceleration, but under load it's making a noise ... what kind of noise? Like a coffee can full of rocks or a whine? I'm having a tough time with it being a gear and not being noisy any time the clutch is engaged. There are four "big" bearings in the case, one for the input shaft, one for the output, two for the countershaft. I think the input shaft is a taper bearing, that's the one I would wonder about but I would expect neutral to be noisy too. There's a bushing in the tail shaft / extension housing that might be contributing, but it's hard to say.

Do you still have the T45 that came with it?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

It’s a whine sound, it makes noise under deceleration load. I could make it almost go away with very light throttle. it’s quite in neutral. Not a 100% sure about clutch in (to lazy / did not think to notice) Part of me thinks it could be the tail shaft bushing. It was not replaced and come from the old trans I can wiggle the drive shaft a little. The fluid looks like metal flake paint. There is a round magnet in the bottom of the case so the stuff that comes out with the fluid is not ferrous. Yes I still have the other trans.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Non ferrous would be brass or babbitt.. Maaaaybe (not too likely) aluminum.. Whine s usually from straight cut gers or mis-meshed.. Mis-mesh usually means a cracked or worn housing or bad bushings..

Comment

What bell housing are you using? any issues getting the trans installed line up during install? Sounds like it could be the input shaft bearing to me.... but I would have thought the guy that had the trans apart would have taken care of that for you if it was going south.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The bell houseing on the T45 is also the front cover. I am using the one that came with the CL trans. The guy that had it apart for me was paid to fix the linkage after I over rotated them during the tail shaft switch. Come to think about it he said the gears and syncros looked good, he didi not comment on the bearings / not sure if they were checked. They were not replaced.

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

I was thinking about this last night and it dawned on me, the friction material from the synchros may be what you are seeing in the oil. The whine isn't making sense to me, clutch out and transmission in neutral it should still make some noise if it's the front input bearing.. or maybe I'm not thinking it through.

Comment

I'm with you, Beagle... Should be able to feel bad bearings ...

Comment

How where do you feel a bad bearing? I think I am going to list it for sale and move on.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    How where do you feel a bad bearing? I think I am going to list it for sale and move on.
                    With your hand on the shifter...

Comment

Put it back together and listed for sell $3000obo. BS price $2500

Drove it down town for date night Saturday night. I miss DDing a v8 rwd.

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

I'd consider taping it off and putting a quart of rustoleum on it... Mom was right when she told me "Why wouldn't I just buy one that was already shiney?" Most folks don't look that close at the paint, but they'll get closer to it if it's all one color. No offense meant by that - easier to sell it was my thought.

(nvrmind silly question)
                        Last edited by Beagle; August 11, 2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I am sure you are correct, the problem is I would want to take everything back off, I hate tape lines. And it could still use a little sanding, and I don't have enough compressor to spray.
                          Last edited by Russell; August 11, 2014, 05:40 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Roll and Tip!!

have a look at some of the results, they look damn good!
                            Last edited by Beagle; August 11, 2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

$110 in paint from Summit, rent a paint booth - generally $50-$100/hr... $200, new paint and no rustoleum.

the air compressor is the cheap bit - it's the air dryers and the paint guns that are expensive.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 18, 2014, 07:05 AM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A mechanic test drove the car. He said noise was coming from trans or rear, was not sure but he noticed the sound changed with mph and not rpm. Which made him think rear. Since I used the old tail shaft housing I figured it might be that bushing. Took it apart to night. Fluid looked better than before. Bushing has some wear on it but I can not say if that is the problem. Drive shaft yoke has a few light groves just enough to catch finger nail. Spinning the rear its not silent but It also no load and not at speed. Some of the noise while spinning the rear tire reminds me of brake pads ridding on the rotor.

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X