Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Swamp Thing"........ my 1968 T/A Camaro RS/SS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Swamp Thing"........ my 1968 T/A Camaro RS/SS.

I pulled this out of a swamp it the middle of a wooded area in my favorite picking yard. I had heard the owner of the yard tell me that there was a Camaro in there "somewhere", but it wasnt until the leaves had fell and I noticed something shiny under a huge growth of vines/tall weeds. When I was able to get closer, (lots of mud and standing water), I couldnt believe I had found the Camaro. It took several days, a big truck, 2 winches, and my trailer. We had to get he car up in the air and use cargo ratchet straps, 2x4s, long bolts and nuts, to make a makeshift frame to move the car so it didnt split in half. The only thing holding the front to the rear of the car was the roof, and the fact that the doors wouldnt open. Now lets see if i can get a picture up. What do you guys think??
    Attached Files
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12,16,17
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

Should make another great project for ya Matt!
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

In this picture, I have replaced the entire floor pan from the toe boards to the rear tail light panel, and rocker to rocker. The front sub frame is rebuilt, it has Heidts tubular a arms, adjustable shocks, and urethane bushings. I have a 4 bolt late model 350, .040" over, Eagle crank, TRW pistons, reconditioned rods, Mildon pump,etc. The heads are the better flowing heart shaped combustion chamber stock GM castings from 1990 (I think-cant remember). The rest is basic, aluminum intake, headers, Holley, all backed by a T5, and a Eaton posi, but haven't decided on the rear ratio yet. Believe it or not, as it sits, with alot of "parts/labor trading", and the help of my buddies, John (Milner351), and Bucky (Bucky67), I am well below the $5000.00 mark. Any thoughts-ideas?
      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
      DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Where are the pics hauling it out of the swamp?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

wow
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            Where are the pics hauling it out of the swamp?
            All the pictures of us moving and hauling the car out, are on my home computer, which I havent been able to download from for over a year now. I got a lap top at christmas time, and tried to get the original pictures off the old memory card, and it has gone bad. I cant get anything off of it. So, I took this picture with a new memory card, new camera, and put it in the lap top, mumbled a few explteive words and "TADAAAA"... it worked. A "I.T" guy here at work has been helping me with the computer issues. I will have more this weekend I hope since has the old hard drive and memory card.
            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
            DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Now thats a real outside the barn find that was a lucky catch before it got to far gone that it could'nt be restored. Can't wait to see some up to date pics of the car. Sounds like a really fun project. Are the hidden headlights all there. Good luck with it Matt.
              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

The entire grill and hiddens are there thanks to Bucky. He donated what I needed and did not have. I was messing around with it yesterday a little and managed to get the aluminum dash installed-temporarily. I have to get the cage back in before I can finish up the dash.
                HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Well I guess you have to break off all the other cars you are working on to get something done on yours every now and then.
                  Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Wow and I thought my 65 was bad... well it was, but at least it had a frame under it.

Comment

I still have to get the rear rails welded in, then the inner and outer wheel housings. Then the underneath will be solid once again. After that, I can get the cage in it, and finish up the wiring/engine install. This one is going to be a blast to drive!
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Now there is a car you wouldn't feel bad about cutting up
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Boy, you got that right! There wasnt much there to start with. I only need a few hours a free time to get the rest welded in and it should be ready to drop in the drivetrain.
                          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                          DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                            I pulled this out of a swamp it the middle of a wooded area in my favorite picking yard. I had heard the owner of the yard tell me that there was a Camaro in there "somewhere", but it wasnt until the leaves had fell and I noticed something shiny under a huge growth of vines/tall weeds. When I was able to get closer, (lots of mud and standing water), I couldnt believe I had found the Camaro. It took several days, a big truck, 2 winches, and my trailer. We had to get he car up in the air and use cargo ratchet straps, 2x4s, long bolts and nuts, to make a makeshift frame to move the car so it didnt split in half. The only thing holding the front to the rear of the car was the roof, and the fact that the doors wouldnt open. Now lets see if i can get a picture up. What do you guys think??
                            Yeesh. Thanks for saving it.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I had too, it was calling me too save it.........
                              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                              DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Working...
                              X