Horse with no name - 1987 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse with no name - 1987 Mustang GT

I don't feel like naming this steaming pile.

1100.00 I finally made my mind up CL Mustang, list of features:

"rebuilt" 302 (we'll see, but it sounds good)

one gear AOD (note the carb, my guess is the TV cable is not hooked up)

Dented in roof - who knows. I don't want to know.

Bondo'd back quarter, curb rashed air damn in front.

Missing carpet reveals soft back floors in back seat foot area- the hatchback must be leaking. That is the low spot of the car. The rest of the floors are solid.

Only opens from the inside door handles, but the PO included a new set in a box.

Going to pick it up this morning, here are the "better looking than it really is" listing pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	879191Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang5.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	879190Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang8.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	879189Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang2.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	879188Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang6.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	879187Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang4.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	879186Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang1.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	879185Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang3.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	879184

still has a/c connected, the EFI harness is stil in place. The front end is actually decent looking, like maybe it hasn't been pushed into anything. It reminds me of an auction car. Almost done project that somebody gave up on.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

the engine picture almost shows the adjustable fuel regulator for the carb, an Edelbrock AFB thing, looks like an early 80's intake and the valve covers say older 5.0 from a Mustang. I am thinking about getting a scope from Harbor Freight to see if it's a roller rather than pulling the manifold to see.

4 maypop's, but the turbines look usable. The hood looks wrong because it's not bolted on. I just noticed those are LX lamps, damn. I woke up thinking Cheese Graters! I'm thinking polyurethan to fill in the death gripped steering wheel and a cover. PO says it's got new rotors and four wheels worth of new pads. Pedal felt good.

Here's the thoughts of the day:

A gentleman in Weatherford builds pretty stout AOD's according to a lot of Mustang guys, his nephew is roaming round on an 800 hp turbo'd Mustang with one in it so I'm thinking that might work. I'm checking with him today, will probably use the Lincoln's core for that.

Take junk from pile of parts laying around and put the EFI back together... maybe. I've got all the stuff to put an A9L , MAF, 24# injectors, eeee cam, ~320 hp 302 back in it. Then again, I've got a funnel web single plane, xe274 roller cam, and a 750. I will decide by the end of theday.

My feeling is the bbf should stay with the Lincoln for now, so it's either a 302 or a 351 for this turd. I'd need a pan and pickup plus headers for the 351 and it would be carb'd.

Since we're emissions exempt on 87 and older here, I'm not married to the EFI / 302 idea. It sure would make it easy to put back together with A/C and even cruise, the hallmark of a true daily driver in my area (the a/c, I don't care about cruise.)

What say you? 302 and actually be done in time? 351? Stop being a puss and BBF, a/c be damned?

I'm leaning heavily towards 302 and drive it, get a kit with enough Nitrous for a 12.8. I've never had Nitrous on one of my cars, might make tuning interesting.

to do list:
    subframe connectors
    rear floor patch panels
    roll bar - maybe. If it's rustier than I think, might as well try to hold it together.
    order carpet
    tube o polyurethane for wheel and cover
    aod conversation with Mike's Trick Shift in Weatherford
    seat covers
    stereo - yeah, to hell with it. I'll put a stereo in it.

I'm on the fence about gutting it and going manual rack, manual brakes. I don't think I have time to do it right, I think I'll just get it inspected and drive it around some. The PO says he drove it a couple of blocks and when the trans wouldn't shift into second, he parked it. The 600 I have on one of my trucks has the right linkage / arc for an AOD, and I made a correct if sinfully ugly bracket that will tell me if that is the case.

It hasn't marked up the PO's driveway with territorial drippings, so I'm encouraged by that. I'm hoping the rack / front end don't need attention. It's worn about like 160k car should be so I may be okay with the front end. I'll raid the LSC for the rack if needed.
    Last edited by Beagle; August 18, 2012, 04:33 AM.

Comment

When you say "ready on time", are you referring to ready for Drag Week?
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

you going to grow out a mullet? that car, wife-beater shirt, and a mullet.... you'll be there

I like the "drive the wheels off it" mentality. Save your project dollars for a project you care enough to name
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

it's home, also storming like a mofo. I'm still excited although it looked better yesterday before I paid for it. haha. For what it is doing (making it rain) I'm about 9,000 bucks ahead not having to buy foundation repair this year. pffft.

Thanks SBG, maybe I'll name it Mullet. Although, without the cheese slicer brake lights, I don't know if I can pull it off. That and my mullet is about to be reduced to 3/8".... (That's a number 3 for those with trimmers... lol.) The Horse with No Mullet. I can live with that. Wifebeaters, meh, not so much. Wifebeaters on the not-a-wife? Hmmmm.

more f*ing fun with titles, does ANYONE transfer their f*ing title like they are supposed to? Two owners since registered. Great.
          Last edited by Beagle; August 18, 2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16 View Post
            When you say "ready on time", are you referring to ready for Drag Week?
            Yes.

The traveler has chosen, the decision is made. Stay pufft.... it looks like a marshmallow... hmmm.

387" Windsor, AFR 185's, dual plane, 750 holley, 224* cam, 28" 1 5/8 headers.. You know... a truck motor. Hoping for 12's. The pistons are forged and it has decent rods, so if it doesn't get there by itself, NAAAWWWSSS.

I was worried about it fitting under the hood, but seeing Squirrel in the rain today (AGAIN) with the filters threatening to suck water, I don't care if I have to cut a hole in the hood.
            Last edited by Beagle; August 18, 2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Looks like a project!! Now get to work!!!
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                it's home, also storming like a mofo. I'm still excited although it looked better yesterday before I paid for it. haha. For what it is doing (making it rain) I'm about 9,000 bucks ahead not having to buy foundation repair this year. pffft.

Thanks SBG, maybe I'll name it Mullet. Although, without the cheese slicer brake lights, I don't know if I can pull it off. That and my mullet is about to be reduced to 3/8".... (That's a number 3 for those with trimmers... lol.) The Horse with No Mullet. I can live with that. Wifebeaters, meh, not so much. Wifebeaters on the not-a-wife? Hmmmm.

more f*ing fun with titles, does ANYONE transfer their f*ing title like they are supposed to? Two owners since registered. Great.
                ya hippie.... 2 for me

and no, no one transfers them like they're supposed to
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This should be fun.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

I love people with the right idea and 50% commitment.

New rotors, new pads, new sway bar end links, new struts, new shocks.

Where the swaybar meets the frame, bushing is half gone, as in missing. Yay! Going to the tire store, putting a couple on the front and thinking about drag radials. A 275-60x15 is going to be too wide for a 7" rim? What about having the turbines widened an inch on the outside? I hate to give up the mullet vibe.

Comment

Big HEI's always look kinda funny sticking up in front of those little 5.0's. Have fun with it.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Get smaller tires, or buy 8" rims cheaper than adding an inch.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Tire story.

National Tire and Battery 66 dollar T rated tire = 98.00 ... ouch. Well, they can suck sweaty hairy balls, die, and then go out of business. I try to pay with cash, they want drivers license, and VIN for th car. No. Manager - MANAGER says - "we can always just pull the tire off" ... did you just say that to me? Yes, do that. 2.5 hours, they lose a valve stem, balancing, tire disposal fee, 2x labor, and even though I warned him twice, the rest of my life as a customer. I buy a lot of tires... but never again from here. Indonesian tires at that. Only reason I'm not at Discount today (spent 500 there Saturday for Monica's new tires) is it's Sunday and they aren't open. I need car to sit on it's tires and not a tread separated explosing waiting in my face.

Walmart - 66.00 tire H rated, mounted, balanced, tax (8.25 here)... 78.00. 45 minutes, done, "Cash money!" tire sales guy is excited... no DL, no VIN, no getting f*d with, and get this - tire is made in the U.S.A

I'm not a Walmart fan by nature, but that my friends, is hard to argue with. U.S.A , less time, less money, less hassle, and done. Oh - the Walmart guys put the balance weights inside the rim and it balanced up with .75 ounce. The NTB guys, 3.75 ounces, all over both sides.
                          Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            Get smaller tires, or buy 8" rims cheaper than adding an inch.
                            I think they can widen the mullet wheels for less or right at 100.00 a piece, it's worth it to me. Kind of a wash really. 4 x 50.00 plus shipping and Soft 8's are gonna look wrong with white paint vs. Hillbilly x 100 x 2 and I don't cut my hair for six months. Too bad I cut it recently.

If the car wound up primered or flat black / grey, the D's or Soft 8's would be right. With it being white, I don't like that much contrast. okay, really, I have a thing for turbines. haha.
                            Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I need to see about photoshopping this ..Click image for larger version

Name:	haha_scoop.jpg
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	863682

hahahaahahaha.
                              Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X