1987 subaru: dual range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

center bushing mystery

Further deciphering the center bolt, rear end.. if spring loaded and on a dial, the original steel could adjust rear camber in real time, from inside the car. I first spotted this on a ford rally car from the same year (A little RWD ford that came with a cosworth). so the mystery connection was indeed a rally something. I welded to the point of tractor trailer so, the adjustment flex is just going to be a hard set bushing, the bushing plenty soft...and two bolts, instead of a centering of one. As steel ages it petrifies of course. the hollow tube acting as a flexing sway bar still happens, but, this is a wagon. The chassis that came with steel behind the seat, sedan/coupe, they could play with the camber inside. the wagon needs to be a truck. I must say I defied some logic welding the span on a wagon chassis to sustain strongly. If I could pat myself on the back I would. Breaking this one as I mentioned, is simply more spring, never really broken.

I was talking to my brother, he got hired to do some carpentry in southern maine.

Got to talking of cars, told me the guy collects, obviously well to do. So I went and checked out the site.. may inquire about this Subaru going in for a sale or trade, as this buggy is not going anywhere local. This is a difficult one, as gurus with real facts have no brand names. My locale knows how to say "tchebby" and "free fiphy". ..and maybe furd fteen thousand.

I often look for collectors that kept anything with facts... a world of autos in one place. That dynamic does make well to do. No need to be a rockhead.
    As I watch the auto journalism everywhere I can, a good point was brought up that I often forget. something seeming cheap may cost you more because it is a low production run.

Example: the late 90s delco radio from a Pontiac with no cassette or even bezel lights must have cost an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 19, 2013, 10:21 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

diameter gains and power

Sharing a blog post:

the gain in a master cylinder if to step it up by 1/8th in the bore.
      .8125 = 13/16th, times pi = 2.55125 circumference
      .9375 = 15/16th, times pi = 2.94375 circumference
      the gain = 2.55125/2.94375 = .867. so a 2.55 bore is 86.7% the size of 2.94
      100% – 86.7 = 13.3% . That is how much brake I gained.
      Going by just diameter gets the same number.
      .8125/.9375 = 86.7% , 100 –86.7 = 13.3% gained
      diameter is tricky stuff. It was tricky to explain a 34mm throttle to 43mm and decided to write down how and why the gain is huge.
      34 to a 43 = 21% gain in just diameter.
      106.76/135.02 = .79. So going by diameter can get the same number. Circumference not needed.

theorizing HP gained by diameter of throttle increased… 90hp*.133 = 11.97hp. So adding 90 to 12 = 102hp. The elasticity of air, the way timing and compression works when more is squashed into a cylinder for a given fuel… determining hp by cfm gain is very much useless, but fun to try anyway. On the boxer that 12hp is a number quite possibly 3 times larger than the 12 (or more).
      Now original design was 5200 rpm for 90hp. this is where that 12hp gain changes it, and adds 3000 more rpm never measured. that is an easier way to look at a gain. More cfm to a bigger throttle brings more rpms. So the 12hp number is good to compare at 5200 rpm. It should show up as 102hp on a dyno at 5200 rpm. the rest is a guessing game until trying on a dyno to measure.

The other reason for taking on the little boxer..as counterbalancers get spinning faster, builders strangely go for gigantic hp gains to get over them. There is pros to this day blaming the wind as the drag on their landpseed quests. To compute a proportionate outcome on a 3 main boxer is dramatically less for hp demands...getting the same job done.

That is the boxers magic trick.
      A funny thing to figure, like a riddle.
      here is the tire size increase added to the hp..because the boxer does not back down to a loss on a slightly taller gear. You know you have a boxer when an increase in talling the gear does not even hinder the engine. Still climbs at the same pace.

13 inch to 15 on the wheel..coincidentally, 13.3% gained. This means Subaru engineers being funny called the 13/16ths master for the 13 inch wheel, and the 15/16ths master cylinder for the 15inch...but the final market did not get that comprehension for customers. There is many errors in that respect all over the car, and it is tragically sad.

So in a joke about hp for this little sube (its everybodys joke), increasing the master cylinder 13.3 percent also gained 13.3 percent in top end speed.

So, now, on a dyno you have a 12hp gain in hp, a 13.3% increase in a stride on wheel diameter.. it should come out to a 26.6% increase at the very end for top speed. if it was 100mph (the 90hp stopped near there) it should be 126...on a calm day.

the will for an engine to dig into taller is the reason I ignore hp. Horsepower concepts are for those reeling it in for a distance, (drag racing of course.) the rest of us do not necessarily play that game very often. I go for actual power.. like a diesel. That is the most amazing realm in modern times. Sure they had a 600 cummins way back when, but todays 550 cat is 1859 driveshaft rear end busting foot pounds...and you may have thought the boxer was a mystery. It has nothing on a diesel.

Again it makes me sad, attempting real numbers. I have seen the big twin turbos, like a nelson, climb right up to a claimed 2000 foot pounds.. but it is shallow. May as well call it ounce pounds. Putting an 1859 foot pound diesel on the same tool to measure would shatter the dyno like the toy it is.

No reason to get uptight over horsepower numbers, especially factory written old engines. the scale of where they got the numbering from has more than doubles.. and the performance has not. that is a crook of misalignment modern day.

for the spfi Subaru to the monojet, it is a 42mm to a 42.8626. Having run both, it is a lesson in difference of carb to injection. the injection is nice in cold starts.. but damn its a hog once maine goes into its abyss.Comparable to a 4 barrel carb on a 5 liter v8. Of course that gets worse when adding an injector for every cylinder. the singular version is very nice. The 2wd did good as spfi all year, and that is where I found the boxer responds to weight of workload.. all by nature. The engine is a genius by nature.

The carb walks away when it comes time for ignition. When you wanted spfi to be a performer, you could not. I tricked it with a cold air intake..it ignored exhaust pipe sizes. this taught me that the boxer has a hovering in the cylinder, needs to be taken over. The carb and separate ignition allowed it. Todays stuff is quite smart, and would try spfi again. It is not even small...but for now, the carb is a hundred year runtime versus ...whenever gadgets go extinct.

The purpose of the switch is where I love the carb, and will go robotic actuator to finalize an automated tune. Priceless.

So the percentages I figured are not just cfm completely. There is a lot more drama than that. the original carb is more than a 21% smaller than the monojet. The spfi is not much to mention at all, in fact, the way the injector was aimed down gave a cold shot that a carb still cannot do, until a holley with the down barrels. All version of this Subaru had a very weird ignition and concept of what actually stays in charge. The lack of an owner is ridiculous. The carb is my foot on throttle, I own what happens. And lastly, the carb walks away with mileage. The injection taking measurements does not know it can back way off at times. like throttle off. It can run a long time.. I hope to be a tenth as smart with the monojet tuned in by AFR.

For now, exhaust size means something, all the classic chores. the void is nulled. I hope they come out with another version, singular injection.. acknowledging this boxer is no rockheaded inline four, but a dynamic they never even got half of.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 20, 2013, 01:08 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

another win from mighty car mods.

the guy who got the polo had a Subaru wagon boosted, and he liked it. In this episode he admits the sideways engine euro car, also with a turbo, sucks. Not many people speak it with a popular you tube show.

how bout some magnus walker on an la freeway

2.4 liters of boxer fury.

I don't feel as good as some classic chevy owner. Not much boost at all in esteem. I am on my own.

I spoke my own story, innocent one on the highway, inline four in the other lane running on its crack addicted sprite. I won't repeat the result. Never had to again anyway. That event was a turning point to go as far as I have with this current project.

I am at a point now, every realm with one little boxer.. the little Porsche seems a good candidate. I don't even mean the big famous ones.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 20, 2013, 09:49 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

back to building

A long while back..before the monojet, I was having problems similar to a carbed v8 mustang, especially at stop lights.
          I learned it to be the cat. Stinker for no damn reason.

a light car with big air moves needs cat like a truck. Not sure why. A fake weight perhaps. A lot of shake, not enough processing...who knows.

anyway, am holding off on welding the pipe for the tenth time in 6 years and getting a thunderbolt metallic.
          I did the research several years ago.

this is still better than the modern subes, they hack the cats right out of them, never happy. this one does good if cat is good.

one thing I have never done...
          run with just the equal y-pipe. I must be getting old. that would have been a first thing to do a long time ago for fun.
          after swapping engine, I ran it about a minute with no header. the carb had huge air bypass noise, big idle. Exotic.

it is definitely the cat.

this subject, just another one buried among my panic year of chores this past 12 months or so.

I thought tightening the body would do away with the double sizing of cat. ..but I was wrong. Sometimes advice is good and gets shrugged off. should not have done that. I kept the original installed.
          I chose thunderbolt for the 6000 pound limit, the 4x4 on the boxer is like a double weight, cat somewhere in the middle. Sad game.. cannot go by normal numbers (seems that is a routine for the Subaru boxer and 4x4)

this one was setup some time back. I even planned a cat with no o2 option, because my mount for o2 is in front nearby. this allows less hassle when changing pipes or cat again for next time. I also knew to go metal with a stainless surround to match the header 304ss.

Not too far off the planned path..but the delay caused some problems.. again. Hopefully the last time.

Not sure where my cat post went.. but it got interesting, and then I ignored quite a few internet findings. (Ignoring all inline and ricer setups for example)

less cell count equals more flow..until you get into cool weather. that cat will not function if it does not take in heat. That is the jackass of the catalyst flip flopped in comprehension..

the greater the cell count is quicker absorbtion, quicker function...the heatpump pumps and there is the flow.
          on 92mm bore, I found I kept wandering into formula 1 type engines. Porsche and a McLaren v8.

they go round, tri metal, high cell count..of course a 409/304 shell.

thunderbolt was a common sense answer for normal people.

100-150 cell count per inch is an old one. They take a very long time to warm up. The thunderbolt is less than a very high precious metal content at 300 cells per inch...but still a doubling upgrade for most bangshift era vehicles. A new one with computer aided builds can go to 600 cells per inch.

good compromise. 300 is in the middle...and metal, no more ceramic. Ceramic is actually early 1970s. Just ignitions alone at 30k volt did not even exist for normal people.

Something I wanted to try as well is the 3 way cat with no extra air...as modern as it gets. Am checking on thunderbolt versions again to be sure. the 3 way can do lean or rich, whatever the engine is setup for. I have two modes, literally on a switch. That is how I melted the pipe in rich mode. this means its a two way cat (old one). the old ones used lean to process, and that means heat. I like the heat..it acts as a pump. Anyway, whatever I end up with I'll share it. I know walker and common names announce two or 3 way, may go that route for a 3 way.

edit:
          ok, that was the final answer way back when. the metallic thunderbolt, not the ceramic. I found the ceramic in my blown engine...it chokes on gewkster alloy. Hence metallic.

the ceramic also has 400 holes per inch, metallic one approved for pre obd 2 and after.

costs a little more, but have it down to $65 delivered.

something tells me the older engines were built strong, can't choose just anything.

the first gen cat that has to run lean on an old carbed engine..odd combo. A carb can do anything. no wonder we have carpocalypses. Today, they claim efficient engines, yet all the cats have to be the fat and lean version all in one. Peculiar. maybe its just history taking its time.
          it is to show that the carbed engines with original pre obd2 cats are not high performance. when you finally get it right, you should be melting the pipe ten times in 6 years. They need the fat fuel function from a new cat as well as the old lean fuel function.

laws about cats kept me from jumping into a change, but I got the facts...I simply needed a cat in a modern way. Legit swap for sure. Not that my antique gets inspected anymore...but I keep the standards up for wherever it may go.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 22, 2013, 02:54 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

cat removed and drive

setting up for a new cat, open ended equal header...old cat removed.

air max 140cfm, timing retarded...clears out lower half of cylinders, very diesel like. pretends it cannot advance...because I put it that way. the runtime you hear is original cfm size, but with all four cylinders. Of course it is more than double that in the real runtime. I have it setup to drain the cylinders in the video. Intake damper closed, timing retarded. max rpm exactly factory.. somewhere near 6k rpm. That is probably twice as confusing to the people that did not even get the one retarded runtime correct.

In a way, they were 70cfm maxed way back when...as two cylinders never timed in. Offset length plug wires is all it took to throw off the 2.65 inch stroke. Makes it all the more amazing. I was doing 75mph for years...unmodified oem thumping along half engine, half fired half air/fuel.
            if you saw what I was climbing, you would not believe it, even after showing you. It does not compute to witness action for sound of work..

Finally got an AFR reading at slow speeds after removing cat, my final decision to rid of the lean burn cat. The last real race mode is an intake with no coolant in it..but for now, it is just too damn smart to go dumping into teens mpg.

on a good note, there is no poisons at all in this casting of the ea82. pipe open, no odors. The iridiums are right at home with the accel 300. I could go no cat at all..but it is a filter for scavenging on this tight two valve design, and helps in warm up times, fuel mileage, and is pleasant..etc.
            I want miles more than dragster.

the thunderbolt metallic, cheap, gets the job done. Not too many holes per inch.. resembles an old one but doing modern processing instead (fat and lean burn).

found new cat
            100 cell, all metal.. modern 3 way. 49 state, carb, and 3 euro standards.
            the one in the car now is 100 cells an inch or less. large holes. they call less cells per inch a racing cat. It is all so backwards.. little engines are tortured into near racing just to be normal.

up over the 4k mark in total cost for this one.. got it done.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 23, 2013, 03:26 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

I was looking at hot rod power tour stuff, remembered some crazy kid in a subaru wagon. Not sure why he was there.

I'd take this one. that tour is sponsored by chevy performance. Chevy is all I know.

the little sube is big bore little stroke, and I slapped on gm stuff as I learned it years ago. My "years ago" is the 70s and 80s junk people scrapped too soon.
              maybe that is why that guy tagged along. As mechanical lives go, a lot of pieces fit together like a puzzle. A small world after all.

off to get the last hint of nuke out of this one...
              ready to do anything.
              A quick recap on why I did what I did with this.

about twenty years ago, my chevelle with monojet and straight six. Simply did not go together. like a half numbered panic build about a fuel crunch. Around that same time, I got to listening about the carbed ea82 subaru. Wonder boxer. I rebuilt my monojet on the chevelle, and realized it was genius (I won't bore you with why and how - its in another thread).

"A formula 1 engine with 100cfm". it got made fun of. Mechanics got serious.. even a local aviator took a few in. A rare story of many times bigger than the factory shipped.. all runted by air fuel and ignition only. in the case of the sube in this thread, it had the extremely rare "3 degree cams". lucky to see 70 hp...and the catalytic convertors. Nuclear ghostly like stories. I swore if I ever found a normal one, I am going to nickel and dime it to a perfect build.

I went on forgetting about that coincidental story, the runted 1 barrel chevelle and the runted sube. my chevelle ended up with a 350. I blew the engine, never got car back. I gained 3 g body cars. 2 monte carlo ss and a grand prix. all rare. floor shifters/sway bars..one had the real H.O. 305, a genuine SS. I wrecked it in an ice storm. I racked up over 100k miles because of my job. Collector cars beaten to death at a rally car level...every single day. I finished one with a feisty build.

anyway, I got very sickened, aircraft mechanic.. disabled for life.. everything got more difficult. All of a sudden. I let my fast monte go for 200 dollars, after having more money in it than I can remember. The gas prices rising was the craziest ever a few years after that. I saw one of the old subes still running, surviving it all, rusty things flapping in the breeze. Very humbling. I bought one from a dealer in 1996. Gave it away in 2005. Never restored it. Just beat it to death.

I went from 160s shaking mobile home parks to near crying over the sube story I forgot about. After cheating death, I hopped in the rusty ea82 wagon, manual everything, drove all over New England in a day. 2 subes later, an operation that saved my leg and life..

here I am with a 500 dollar one. A friend found it. I thought I was all done with them. Ten gears and been across the continent already..not even built correct like I have it today. I nickel and dimed a normal one to life.

A sense of future and it feels good. no more runt, and goes with the gm like classic math I always had fun with. A small version being bigger...only defines normal.

That is hot rodding for many. We all see something is bigger than not happening. And there ya have it. A Hot Rod gets built.
              in 2004 I took on photography. I did learn after being single a long time (I am that disabled). "just 5 years ago today", looking at photos, try that sometime.. everything changes.

I know not to go extreme with this build. Just maximizing cfm is impressive. I hope to go on some kind of rally drive car gathering.

speaking of time intervals. looking at craigslist. prices down for things I normally drool over. would you believe a sun cycle drives car sales? the crazy cat years.

this is the subarus 3rd one. crazy northern version. timing certain repairs lasts another 13 years...

I must be getting old. What used to be a mystery of physics for nerds is embedded in my head like a rocket scientist. Scoff up those crazy prices..no regrets.

My dad gets talking, long trucking career.. due for retirement in just one month. When I get caught up in motor going chores, he talks, and its all puny. Every problem is hardly anything. That is how I learned physics and chemistry of a car can close a mind into a small world.. and an owner may not even catch on. This sube had that disease very bad. I still get my vengeful rides in.. a 650 mile run last year. That was big for this one. Original engine, last legs, block no good, no rebuild. One last ride.

Anyway, my dad was telling me about a CT to California run and back...5 days. Just to get a bigger check, 1500 miles or out of fuel determined stops. Incredible.

I may try that. Just to know what it was like..
              power is stamina and tall gears...and can outrun a humans.

This build, it has something to do with my dad, my own time trucking was deemed abuse. old rigs and kids don't go together. today is better.
              this may be the only Japanese vehicle that had a taller legged mentality...and guts that sustained beyond memory of typical people.

you can't hide a real boxer... no matter how big the army of runt surrounds it.
              As the stories never seem to end for this.
              I was telling dad about a new cat.. and that I never did outrun before. Especially looking new and clean inside. He spoke up and agreed.. he never outran one either. It is believable with this cars origin and destinations.

The cat marks the end of oem pieces entirely in the exhaust. Not a single piece left. All enlarged to be normal.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 24, 2013, 01:52 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

cats last chance

Today I limited rpm to 6500. that is when redline on tach begins.

Not sure how accel ignition works, but it seems energy is cut back a little.
                6500 has two purpose. One flip of a dip switch allows 10000 rpm.

feels good, the buzzing bee is a little more bass.

idle just gets 21AFR bouncing around with back of cat open, no pipe. Cat is done.

A new cat next week, the old one is trash bound. Shamefully. Nice and clean from a 1994. Maybe seal it in a box and save it for a suby owner. This one will never be in their math again.

Another trick upon me was that the cat came from a fuel injection. singular point.

it was not a modern cat as most know them, it was still a lean design. they put big faith in the injector, and got away with it. No doubt a rare scenario. lean burn cat with an injection system.

I have to walk this car off sometimes to get a list too long to remember out of my head.
                To runt something at the level they did, only shows how big it becomes. As if all the drama of a strange reality wasn't segregating enough.. it is twice as big as the drama that segregated it in the first place.

I do have a hope a formality will be written from this, a big number someplace. HP or speed...maybe both.

Heck, a decibel meter over 100 is something to talk about. the little monster will be back to full quiet soon enough. Another reason I like the cat for this one.

looking at catalytic convertors by eyeball..
                I went with 100 cell for the 1978 carb as much for modern 3 way function. the airbleed circuit and idle together, and progressive vacuum... adding the three holes together. the "big" holes in a 100 cell is a good call. I know it before installing.

Aside from fighting my fat fuel function to a melted steel war..the size of carb in its smallest places is the other factor. I still believe it is a shame to call a 100 cell cat a "race car" catalytic converter. A lot of history needs it. Micron size of the same jobs today is larger as you go back in time.

That was a big flop flop for years now that I recall. Bad info put forward...took out a lot of engines.

I look over my local craigslist, spring time seems to be a good time to grab at a good sale.

For about 7 years... No subarus in the ea82 generation.
                I found a windshield and an engine.. bought both. In fact the windshield is behind the fridge. tiny little windshield.

The value is either astounding.. or my worst nightmare. Where it left off in history never fixed, and valued at nothing. Neither opinion matters, I go right down the middle of a decent value when it comes time.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 25, 2013, 07:47 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

digging at a mystery

this cars stamp is 12/86.
                  As this sube has some giant parts meant for thrashing, ie: the wheel bearings. I found the peugeot wheels fit too good to be true. So I went about looking at group B peugeot history and found something peculiar. the 140mm wheel pattern on my subaru is the center to center length of the group b peugeot rally car engine connecting rod… and they never got that wheel pattern. 1986 was a year of turmoil, a bomb dropped on rally rules. the only justice for the silented little subaru in a similar genre of build, was the giant porsche 959 winning paris to dakar and the 24 hours of lemans. The awd boxer that did it all. The sube being a japanese trait to flip flip every fact but a lie…was made famous later on with that pansy ass excuse for a boxer called an “EJ”. Absolutely bizarre.
                  a blog post I had written and simply republished differently...this is only one coincidental finding.
                  the other is facts written to help me. 1987 was a year for group A cars, group b all done. Subaru had to build 5000 of whatever chassis they were going to use to follow the rules. the sad fact there is.. they never told anyone where what when how.. and not even Subaru can answer my questions.

having had a dl gl and loyale, and my wallet near open for a turbo wagon of the 1986 kind. my foot has been at all throttles of the ea82.

the chassis for this one is simply astounding. the back end of a wimp, lines mapped out and never connected.

I would love to know their shame. It almost became mine. ..but you know my story.

I build.

this Subaru summed up: "its like that time Subaru almost became a man."

anyway, the Porsche also buried a powerful fact in the same time frame, its called a 953. Subaru is somehow in that mix of choosing to silent a giant, stronger than the one that was labeled a hero later on.

a really interesting site.

Logically manufacturers try to size the homologation base vehicle so that its racing counterpart will be as competitive and versatile as possible. For instance FIA rules impose that a GroupN class car cannot exceed the wheel size of the homologation base vehicle. Consequently the bigger the wheels and wheel arches mounted on the homologation base vehicle the more supple the choice of competition wheels will be. Another example is the size of the turbocharger that, if fitted to the homologation base, will have to maintain the same model and size on the competition vehicle. These rules, and many others discussed in further detail here for the GroupN class and here for the GroupA class, have pushed manufacturers to produce road going versions of vehicles destined to competition, the so called "Homologation Specials". Of course solutions applicable to racing vehicles are not the best suited to street going cars. Additionally it only matters that the street going version has the required equipment, dimensions and is produced in sufficient numbers and no particular care is usually taken to its finish or road manners.
                  explains wheel arches .They are fat by factory, in fact it was quite an extra chore to maintain the oddity... and incompleteness about the road handling...all while a wagon chassis was the end result.

there is one car they mentioned, the leone rx III. I have seen the 1 and two, little wimpy ones. Having a 42mm throttle body sitting here, and seeing the multiport turbo myself. I would love to be the lucky unsuspecting owner of the 42mm spfi with a turbo. Genius for sure. It has not repeated again in history.

one very last note on the original cat. Back to coughing before full warm. Way too ambitious. Cat removed will get me hauled to jail for cracking a babys ear drum, so I wait patiently. It does run nice without it...
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 26, 2013, 10:04 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

ned 2 hours away

I printed out directions to new England dragway, been by there my whole life within miles..
                    never been there.

if the quarter is as big as I figured out, this sube is rather quick.

I may show up on a street night, the price is right...and I see it is quite diverse. My kinda fun.

I remember giggling at my own "hypermiling" Subaru a long time ago. A video I posted was thought to be climbing to 60mph, and it was up over 100 in a quarter. Completely disorienting to figure out apparently.

A 10 second beetle is the same.

it is a good time to try this, while all the stuff is fresh. Only live once..

the curiosity has gotten me every year since a 2wd I got for free. It all started with a very typical "cold air intake" to get by the "hot maf".

After totaling that one, I only added to the chore list. I know how to go fast, and I am not bragging. its just been a trait since I was 15. Some joke my concept of speed is altered by the old jets I worked on. the take off was something to feel. orientation of eyes and distance.. it does change a human body and mind.

anyway, this one here has done several things to date I have not done. outrunning 87 octane was always temporary in my tinkerings of the ea82.. This one out did it forever. A first for me. Like the cat volume. I never outdid those before. In fact a dirty one is usually more performance. this one all the way back to spotless...too much cat. Maybe the 91 octane does have some good stuff as claimed at the pumps. Cleaners as well as a good octane.

the other thing was physics that need a long time owner to debug. direction of electrical and other energy. the spec clutch gave me a lot of confidence..it is an anti-thief. A good race car ingredient. I went from there paying attention to ignition, switches, grounds..
                    I even found a sheathed cable to feed the coil from cdi box...and a place to ground the bleed (I can even measure the bleed).
                    anyway, my 245am thoughts.

I would guess to see a 13 something, timing in a zero ping..no push. the everyday settings. the humble goal is to match my typical gm v8s I drove growing up. I never complained. 13s, even a low 14 is just right to be normal. My slowest car did 160 something. that is a joke about take off. the quarter may have been slower than this Subaru. I wanted tall and calm.. and built it. Anybody can do anything.

This car was not normal at all. The 3 mains (of all engines) being that small had no excuses in my own mind.

a to do list. there is a chore that should have been done when I drove this car home. Never changed the diff fluids. Never gets warm. 104 k on odoms first picture in 2006, it is headed for 140k within a couple hundred or less...need to get a gander to see where it is at. 139900 something.
                    • a 16mmx1.5 drilled into a stuck diff cap to get fluids in and out of diff...and tap. Have some left over from egr plug at head. Expensive tap to use just once.
                    • finalize rear end, a lot of Frankenstein iron already.. need to make pretty
                    • the bushing for rear crossmember is all custom, need to finalize
                    • weld in the new cat
                    all in a day.I have been following the diesel rally subaru in australia since first mention. brett middletons race car. I decided way back when I was not boosting the little sube in this thread. the rare tranny and my version of American foot pounds.. I don't want to destroy at a beautiful runtime. Anyway, today posted is a tranny fail on the diesel sube. Good call staying back on the sube if preserving. The 3 main is fun as hell as n/a anyway.. fast little turbine.

Slamming 200 foot pounds at a sharp ramped climb of rpm unknown to man.. yikes. ten speed would be done in no time. I actually planned out if to go ahead with boosting the ea82 my way. A powerglide guru and an adapter to make it work would come first.. and be 2wd only.

Today going to the store.. the sound reminded of a 81 Malibu, tiny 267 v8. bad cat. Even got the same colors into a rich condition. Generational think. Those engineers are no doubt out of a job forever. The deadliest retarded combinations in automotive history have the lean burn cat.

the difference with the sube and a traditional bad cat.. when you let it get back to normal, it does not whimper out, the climb keeps on going way beyond what was restricted...they were holding back a race engine. The only owner chore left is timing curve, and in my own case.. air curve. I wanted to play with air curves ever since a damper in an air plenum. A 301 Pontiac can really use those, like a boxer. that is where my air curve thoughts began a long time ago. the light rotational mass.. makes it noticeable.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 28, 2013, 12:59 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

one final cat note

This got serious too many times not to remember it.
                      the melting steel part.. that is only one of the things the crazy thing did.
                      I guess I made a plasma cutter out of the suby cat.

symmetrical header, 21 year old lean burn cat, 30000 volt ignition. To say something like that at a Subaru forum brings the feminist out of the closet. My ignition stays.. ok fairy boys?

the distilling part is an easy thing to get. intake has antifreeze running through it. Given the year of engine..it may have had a very last batch of crazy antifreeze back in the 80s (alcohol like ingredient).

I ponder it is like glass inside the cat. The quartz that surrounds the cathode in a plasma cutter.

one last mystery truly solved. A young cat in specs for my volume created, will do this good.

The cat has more benefits than loss. I wrote it in previous posts. this particular engine has a drama on the throttle let down...cat keeps it good.

I spotted this vid today. how wrc gets over water splashes. to think there is a turbo spooled up etc.. they still cannot compression stall like a jet.

I share this as I have a similar thing installed...but for maine air, cold temps etc
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 29, 2013, 08:05 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

sneaking around those forums with the word Porsche or rennsport (shhh)..
                        I found some custom gt3 , 100 cell cats in pairs of course, merge and single exit morphed to appear as two..

"sounds like a jet"
                        "just by visual will not pass CA smog"
                        sounds like a trait of Subaru ea82 of the vintage kind. The gt3 plays as n/a, power in a very realistic 250 to 300..and rules to follow. Today they are in the 3 something liter range.. but as most gurus remember the exotic earning of 300hp was the 2.7 liter running raw 30 something years ago. I am still in the raw and math of the 2.7.. but good advice to do some modern chores is there.

This sube got so bad, I am finding foods with ingredients to melt metal. No joke.(baking powder with aluminum sulfate is a real heart keeper). I even got hauled off in an ambulance. The loud old car you might hear may not be for asshole reasons.. the old builds are simply meeting modern runtime safely. The cats just might be the craziest last subject for this project.. which could have been attacked first. I did get the crazy one out near the engine a few years ago.. now is the last version (I was respecting oem) to go to a pile.

Being my sickness started on old jets, and I even had a quick lube job as a teen.. the oxide drama is my life cut short nobody elses. you may not even catch onto the salts of hell in your own project. A unique path I am, misunderstood, and a tad a bigger than I don't let on. wow. A car does take after its owner.

Thanks for the kind words. We could design a system that could pass CA
                        smog. This system was ridiculously loud. I'll try and get in contact with the
                        owner for better pictures.
                        I can vouch for the loudness!! It was window rattiling loud!!It was also a
                        very handsome set up. One of the nicest I have seen, if memory serves me
                        correctly it had a carbon fiber hood and some other very nice touches. It was an
                        all around nice car, very handsome and very loooooud!!!
                        the info was public forum of course, and this is the real quotes.
                        As a boxer uses exhaust dramatically as its height and depth of what fills the cylinder and when...
                        it can get louder with just a cat. I am there now on that constipated one. Big fires at slow speed, gets flooded to no flow later on. this means I am set up for a less restriction than I am now..a bit ahead of myself, quite alright.
                        Another thing I found similar to some of their conversation.. is torque disappeared, until way up there 5k rpm was just the beginning. The fat cams were not my imagination after all.

I am glad I found that bunch not following a stampede of oem.

So 100 cell, loud as hell..and keep the buggy alive with afr to tune. It will change yet again on the new cat.
                        the real monster for me is the 3 mains, and a cool base to real pcv. Amazing sound.. nothing like it.

the greatest deep breath of similarity yet is reading about the tune and changes. Big drama on the boxers to change pipes. I went as far as making a big air fuel and exhaust before cat.. and then making a plasma cutting blow torch as if to disbelieve what I created.

A victim of net abuse I am.. I'll be back to my sasquatch mentality soon.

1251am.
                        I am on headphones, still in the back of my mind the crackling afterburner that shook my whole neighborhood could only be a b1 or a concorde earlier this evening..
                        of course 1 of those is no longer with us.

just now, a c17 about a hundred yards above my rooftop just bass thumped the whole building.. first time in my 6 years here. I bet that boston bombing stuff has them playing all kind of games. they have never done that..
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 30, 2013, 09:23 AM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

some amazing tire facts

I was watching this interview on drive about the Pirelli performance tire..one man was in the entire history. Amazing point of view. 1970 to today.

A biggest question for the boxer was "why so runted"?

the tires was a number one answer. they do not put it down like a radial strictly or a bias. it needed a bit of everything..

I only have a 40 year olds grey hairs, but my own will to step up the ten geared Subaru started with yokohama 60 series. I have known how to build a long time, since the 80s..and held back on just one car, the Subaru with the feisty boxer. Why?
                          No wheels or tires.
                          2008 got the first set of real tread and wheels, I set out from that time on to gain a real runtime. Here it is today.

I remember putting eagles on my monte carlo, back when 235/60 was "wow". you know what I did first trip out? blew a tire. that was 1996. not all that long ago is it...

Stuff coming out of the woods with amazing performance numbers should be no surprise anymore. Many held back by original manufacture of tires and wheels. This sube is again the most drama I have ever encountered. I had one that spun the 13 inch rim inside the tire when applying power.. all correct sized, mystery unknown as to why and how.

that was only ten years ago.

alot to be excited about.
                          Today I go for a ride and echo a pipe off one sided valleys, a criminal if to play a game in tunnels or whatever the childs focus is to gain a big noise. Timing in a retarded setting out of the 26 year groove the distributor bolt worked itself into...just to stay nice to a populous places. Not to say two runtimes are split, simply: the knifes edge is too fat for the origin.

A lot of reward to stay patient..as nasty as the trail of this restomod has been. I have only one dream for this one, cruising transcontinental is satisfied. I hope to record a max speed for street car, 139mph.

so far, the big luck has been
                          • spec clutch (2002 they started)
                          • accel digital.. not sure how old that is, but they made use of diodes/ transistor big caps, a heatsink..modern enough (monster crystal oscillator aka "digital clock")
                          • 15 inch avid trz yokohama, silicone somethings, they keep working even in the cold.
                          • the cats were very dumb for 1987..even brian's car had the asshole cat...and his car was for police duty. I was just checking yet again on the true high flow from MBS in maryland..they have the one I want at 412cfm at 28 inches. I won't be at 28inches. See how a little engine needs the big cells (less holes, bigger holes)? Even the high flow is going to be a strain at slow speeds. little four banger..at least its proper.
                          without these things. car done junked. All of it within the past decade. Imagine waiting 20 years? a lot of bangshifters do.

1 barrel carb and 3 main bearings. It would have been easier to relapse it to a model-t mentality.
                          before all the expending challenge for this (I did not exactly plan to go far.. and did anyway), I was excited the first year of loring opening and onward.. never got to it. May not even happen this year either.
                          I am glad to see "real street" category, things evolving...the 1.5 mile option. To travel that far up north would have some serious machines to watch. my own is not one of them.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 30, 2013, 07:56 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

let the freak flag fly

With new cat coming, a full run can be achieved. It is fun to go beyond the line of straining pipsqueak to allow some mistakes to get by. Tackled some issues today. For years this one could have no errors at all just to stays safe in normal traffic.

got to thinking of the progressive port not working, and sure enough dug into it and found I forgot to cut the whole slot in photo as shown at top of gasket, to let vacuum have a passage. So I fixed that and..

swapped in the rare long jet needle that was paired by rochester in the beginning with the ..you might guess..rare long jet. This one has a bulb in the middle to fit the long jet snugly. A precise bend is needed to keep a slippery path. Works well. One ride, idle has a stronger afr (finally) and the top end should lean out to a progressive function, (damper opening and timing advance). Without a long term run yet..it is already the quite fierce runtime that got me pulled over some months ago. I may have swapped that needle out for being too correct…silly thing to do. If it wants to be a mini super car, time to let the freak flag fly. I do mean fierce.

look out fellow subys..here comes a 35 year old 1 barrel.

just kidding. When I get a good runtime, as I respect what engines for what they are, more than I ever did, when I was young dumb and full of..

the sound is irreplaceable, and I know it. Maxing what is real is a lot more fun in the long run. keywords: long run.

looking forward to the cat that lets this have an idle afr, part throttle ect. quite a battle for the little engine. All kinds of velocity.. just very tiny volume. needs special attention.

I ponder the puddle theory on the old needle and jet, as the afr lays on rich about 1/2 throttle . Rochester gave the long jet setup to a chevette for good reason. It must be stopping a slob the afr gauge cannot read. I hope to find another chevette carb, to simply have a spare needle and jet. One more adjustment after new exhaust, let it stay loud and proud..in a good way. This is hardly annoying. One thing I have not gotten back is the bellow of really good flow. Will try all the settings in the next weeks or so. In fact, the last time it did, I spun off the crank pulley and then blew the engine. No afr gauge at that time, alot is smarter now. Been a year this month.. time to creep back up on the big settings.

AFR gauge to the rescue.

A peculiar thing I deciphered this evening..the very feisty runtime has a pattern on the afr. It is slightly leaner than the old needle up to around half throttle, yet has more of a normal richer idle reading than the old one. Still too lean, but that is cat related (already verified) As half throttle approaches, regardless of rpm, 14.7 shows up, and you have a choice to go right on by that with more throttle into 10.9AFR ..which is still beyond the original lean cat specs. So, new cat is final answer, and loving the sound of that lean and mean up to half throttle. As this is confusing, AFR gauge will go with a sale. The lean is simply 16 +/- on low throttling. The engine sound tells me it is freakishly correct.

I hold back thinking of a sale, I like to enjoy this. Reminded I am not a normal size or density to stay happy in the buggy. A modern attempt to fill a void of what is missing...felt good to tackle. I know power, this is at the top of the world looking down as you look down at it. A flip flop humurous. I pretend I am not altered after my military time with old planes shreaking 500mph. A wooden floor mentality of a b17 yet in the jet age. If my weight ever blimps out to my consumption..I ponder a furd f teen thousand with a broken frame under my butt, just like everything else I get my butt into. To the point, I complained of steel on this subaru, especially the rear crossmember. Strange energy..alot of it is me, an oxide in my blood and shattered teeth. To pass my standard... a good chance you will find it 50 years from now. I have broken every machine in very peculiar ways since the 90s.

my dad called asking for help to deliver a stray pallet ..he has to drive like ken block in a 280 inch wheelbase kenworth all over maine. 612 pounds.. I of course said no. I wonder if the sube could do that today on the bump stops.
                            I have had 200 on the roof of the little sube making a delivery like a truckdriver (funny story) helping dear old dad out. He made up my mind for sure I guess.. if I am to have a vehicle sitting around waiting to do something, I am simply offering this up for a basic truck. It better be a damn good one.

I may not trade or sell, just hide it. If you knew my real path in life, a bill caswell story was more likely than...bill caswells story. I just watched the long interview on drive.. the leap is paying off, very inspiring. A lot of bill caswells out there, I hope there is many more. His description of the brz was hilarious. Take a breath before the next stomping of throttle. I hope he has the boxer bug. It is addictive.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 2, 2013, 12:59 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

videos update

several videos deleted, the you tube weirdos strangely like to focus on my tiny account.

Always narrowing down, summing up later. if one carb related is missing, I'll be making another one related.

Two videos they want me to make ads for, after paying them. that is different. They finally decided I made something on my own or what?

after the latest welds, I'll try to get everything one vid. I can't seem to stay under ten minutes..not that the old rules matter anymore.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

mbs high flow cat

this is no doubt into the 4k range for expenses..it was 3k two years ago.
                                Still under the 5000, and just to redo the entire exhaust my way, stainless included could easily hit 1000. My own cost is several hundred, true engineered with the AFR as a final guide.. and of course 16 years of this engine all year round.

finally did the right thing and ordered the 100cell per inch catalytic converter. I even went to their website, it is a business in maryland. I ignored this chore for 16 years, blaming myself for incorrect fuel etc. As the story goes, the AFR guage installed last month allowed me to dial in a 14.7 run for just a 50 mile test run..melted the steel pipe behind cat. I then determined after removing the cat, it was choking from idle to 3000 rpm, then simply metling the steel exhaust pipe when it finally felt like being a bomb.
                                There ya have it. It is a pricy gadget for its size, but physics with a real function usually is. To be honest, the cat is what kept this engine alive for many many years, as a filter during bad scavenge times in throttle position. This one is a feisty compression, so only throttle off was a danger to the engine. A quick puff backwards from exhaust side into the cylinders. A pipe too open will take in something unfriendly and blow the engine after scraping the walls down for awhile. Unlike an inline or even a v8..this boxer has a huge dynamic in two directions. the goal is a big fire in the middle of the cylinder, and it is rocket science. I love the reward.
                                To sum up the exhaust..

custom equal header, stainless mandrel from heads to engine crossmember (past power steering rack by a little), venturi the merge, added a collector, then off to cat. this kept everything safe away from cat..I then of course found the cat is a constipation for real.. and that is where I am at next. The muffler is a bullit insynerator, just right. 2.25 and 2 inch mixed.. the tight venturi going to the header collector is a japanese number. 900cc a bank, does not need all that much everywhere. oversizing at the head was to get it out of the head.

at 22 sold on ebay..it is worth a link.
                                I also noticed this cat on a gt3 that has to follow rules..one 100cell cat per bank, but that engine is double the size of my little boxer. I only need one. if it works for the big spenders, it will work for me. Not always true, but a racer being an owner and builder cannot bullshit themselves either. My spam for today I guess.
                                A decent goal met, exhaust is all American. No silly fart can games. Vibrant stainless (not sure where they are), insynerator from Lawson industries, georgia, and this cat is coming out of Maryland. The rest of the pipes right off the carquest/napa/advance shelves. No ricer. good deal.

I am a spamming wild man today. I had a lot of trouble finding the bullit muffler..andnow they have plenty listed at there website. So I wrote a review.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 2, 2013, 10:14 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X