1987 subaru: dual range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• success

a little warmer today, 45F in the sun.. what a relief. January 15 was last recorded 45F... about 5.5 weeks ago.

I would boast to bench race this car is a g/pro normally aspirated world record. I am not rescinding this thought ever.

if I don't get to this landspeed chore, maybe someone can someday...its all written, take out my pain of trial end error, and its a short list of chores.

just enough to be on a different wavelength, as like my version of v8.. the snappy twacking cars of today sail on by, die off in the hundred feet (japanese mile) and settle down.

this one is just getting started at 4200rpm, near 99 mph.

the cone fixed a problem, seems very casual to be this large on 1781cc.

Taking my dad on some errands, I scooted out onto the big road, and he asked if that was fifth gear.. I said no, that was third.

"oh my god." <- 5 million mile trucker in quotes.
    I hope to get some giggles out of this little sube. I must be by now.

85 in third is real easy...if you are familar with many years of mustang, this one is geared the same for about a decade of them, 90s into 2000s. The 3.9 rear and 5 speed. Needs alot of power.. the v8 walks on by in upper speeds.

saving my pennies for loring.. the steel work and body always aligns with that month, I get switched off the daydream when the time comes, never fulfill it, due to maines reality of car all year.

I do have excuses, righteously so..

found some labeled sheet titanium, should buy a sheet, u.s. mil spec 6al4v..

The corundum, carborundum stuff got me thinking.. looking around to see who else would have a desire for titanium on top of their carb..

This is funny..I did find just one with titanium cones. The carbed AE86, and inline fours, that adapted the big 40 something mm webers...for japanese.

looks like someone else found the same "energy" to conquer on the 40s mm and a ricer engine.

so... will stay thin, .025 inch is 22 gauge, .040 is inbetween 19 and 20 ga.. should be workable easy anough. A cone in place is crazy strong. Those sheets are about $30 delivered, 12x12 inch. There should be some left over to remake the damper valve in the CAI intake, double up the titanium..or maybe not.

That would be silly.. " double up the titanium."
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 23, 2014, 08:33 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• damper change

Opted not to buy labeled titanium, this stuff from the dell cooked its way into magical enough. Flipped the cone so rivet is unnoticed, the offy lid looks fancy sitting there with a geometry worth it sitting below.

the oldest version , black paint, then the newer one, larger.. heavy steel.

the extra terrestrial dell monitor aluminum was a great candidate. Cracked the kia rio parked next to my sube in half the long way when I started it up. amazing.

Very lightweight and of course rigid, this showed how gently dynamical the progressive port is. Opened and floated a little bit just in high idle. Good for the flow, staying smooth. Full open by 2700 or so, maybe 3000 dead revving. Loaded I am sure this opens sooner.

edit:
      this change here kicked the purge can.. took an hour or two after shutdown. my guess it is titanium, finishing off plastic particulates (titanium is used as a catalyst for some plastics).
      big chemistry power. I found particulates in the intake duct.. I knew that damn ABS was worthless. Another brain attacker. That stuff gets going, like fiber glass shredding.

That should be done. To really feed this trigger, I floored it at lower rpms, kept fuel into 10 AFR, then went home and waited. Sure enough.. little rainbow on the ground...rochester odor in the window. This knows how to kick acedic out the oil pump seal, behind the pulley as well, always found that clever. Needs above freezing to maintain a nominal clean, using pcv normal.. been over a month.

headed for below freezing for another 10 days.

with this pumping more air, the air fuel needed a tighten by a small amount on the once capped secondary adjuster. GM leaves that sealed on the big I-6. the engine in good tune is a buzzing bee noise now accompanied by a gentle hum, like a buffer.. one end knows the other, and is content. No clashes. Whta I felt was work to throttle past a corolla, is now looking down on one as if a sasquatch playing with a bug...it is that confidently large.

I can leave it alone for some time, onto other things. It is near the 130s, maybe more. leaving fuel where it is gains a 12AFR way over 100, and the boxer climbs it. A 9.9 below 3300 rpm. Can't try that finale on the highway, the mystery is my last anticipation. I wanted to keep 10.5 in the 3300 and bloew, but this setup here is.. sasquatch. End unknown. Like a legend ought to be.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 23, 2014, 05:10 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• titanium test

I guess I got lucky.
        after this photo, the shade went to turquiose bluish seagreen.. I know a cool metal once I bang it around. glad there is real tests to verify.

this is like a dyno for an engine.

The solution is less than stellar, but passed as a can do in the instructions. Sodium bicarbonate in warm water (baking soda). One 9 volts battery and a trickle 12v at 1 amp (13-16), totals around 22volt. This should be giving me a shade of blue, if the metal was titanium…and it sure did. This took 5 minutes. I did indeed find some titanium.

Doing this for copper here is grotesque. Someone told me it is the layer of oxide maines atmosphere gives it. "Black arctic" fills the water, when doing this to old maine copper. if to gain the usual foamy green, that is is actually clean, and tells you the age.. I veered the subject off to copper, but that is my only other test to compare to. This does look like a dwarf star shade adding light through it.. You will know when you have titanium.

I am off to unplug the test, it releases hydrogen somethings.. I can taste it 20 feet away.

the simplest test of all, I used a propane torch, but one can use a bic lighter. Turn on the flame, and while holding the piece count the seconds for heat transfer to your fingers.. this stuff here is as slow as steel...and non magnetic. That is a good chance for titanium. Several shades in different light, you will see tan/cream skin colors, and sometimes the blues show up from hands. The electric test is a sure win. Upon unplugging, the cloud stayed in the upper water, a little less blue. I see it is an alumium/titanium mix for certain.

flunking the ginder test makes sense, aviation wanted titanium, not much else did. Why have sparks?

the most beautiful colors to come flying off my metal cutting is schedule 40 pure stainless 304. Very star like white blue, and takes some work to get there cutting. I wanted to see real titanium doing that...some day I guess. Just not today.

the one thing that drove me to test this as best I can.. what it did with a 27 year running plastic tube above the carb. amazing. Less than one day, no mor particulates or shredding. Bam. Super metal stomping an invisible chemical fire. I knew I had something completely bizarre at that point.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 24, 2014, 03:20 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• finish intake

I had tinkered with steel pipe on a previous subaru, little hellion 2wd..big noise through that 4000F maf sensor squeeezing a blow torch to the injection body.
          This sube is much more open than that.
          I was browsing around for 1 foot aluminum sections, and for less than 20 get some mill finish aluminum at 3 inch.

I have a barb to tap and thread from air compressor for the pcv hose into it. To know it is lively induction noise with the last bits of loyale intake rubber in place, I am hating the thought of it being there. This should not only bridge thermally right across engine, but gain some acoustic to show the little engine is maxed in 280cfm. This is also bigger by 1/2 inch than the ever morphing lung choking rubber (it never stays the same for more than an hour).

with a confident connection at top of carb, and steel flanged exit out of air box, this should remain light enough for its position... I may not even need all the 12 inch, will check later.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 25, 2014, 09:12 AM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• cold air intake mythbusted

I have seen this on the web, I only pay attention to gm tests, won't say why.

Found an awesome spreadsheet, where the testers integrity was used to advise companies that created the products (integrity = real).

I found the greatest success for CAI is fuel trimming by up to 10% and gaining 10-15hp...at the same time.
            That is impressive for sure.

Getting to the point, the subaru trial and errors with 7 years, have led me to where I am.. with a very fast mtx-l afr gauge up and running to help me along.

Before and after the cone at carb, I am now down 1 point afr towards rich, and that radian stays there..alot more power, casually. I do not know what percentage to call that, but it does indicate I fixed an error, not even about creating a hot rod.

That is the purpose of CAI. the other one is to literally change materials with a problem, my local below zero doe snot like any plastic, as much as people pretend it is not bothersome, I sure notice.

So, I narrowed down my own mythbusting with 7 years of subaru.. and steel sucks in any machine, as an intake duct. the thermal bridge has to happen. Aluminum is great, titanium is good for old chains that need broken..and that is not only expensive. Finding a tube beyond 2.5 inch is near impossible. I ponder making one out of sheet, 9+ inches by whatever length, gets a 3 inch tube.

I won't go that far. I know I fixed alot with a titanium carb cone.
            the win short list for CAI:
            • gain power, trim fuel
            • stop infected materials
            • keep cooler of course, longevity

My time on the net elsewhere had alot of bullcrap, related to spamming brands. Then there is me in reality getting killed by a polymer chain related to the intake, gaining titanium from old computer, and a plain mill finsihed aluminum pipe to finish it off...the greatest ever.

I hope you decode where the bullcrap is in good choice.. it can gets painful.

another chore I forgot was getting out of the ridges in connectors. I played with a blue silicone piece, still have it..but outgrew it. That was good stuff.

Getting cheaper now, found two pieces I need by the same company. Will grab the stuff below to finish it. Up by the offy lid is going to be rigid, the aluminum is going to have a bracket going to somewhere near thermostat, an empty threaded tower. The bounce is going to be the humped silicone over to steel flange on air box.

I joked of the engine bouncing around like a monkey, but it is down to a .25 wiggle.. the custom center bushing at rear of tranny, and custom pitch stop in place. I did not mention what that did for the stage 1 clutch.. that really is an impressive piece by Spec. it only works better now with engine tightened up.

Anyway, this should finish it. going into another cold spell, I don't mind waiting for shipping.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 25, 2014, 08:08 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• mcm in japan.

mcm in japan, playing with 600cc.

To be honest, I do not know japanese or asian culture, yet am just as prejudiced as my dead ww2 grandpa..

it was so very cool to see those brothers making stuff that does not exist.. I have been doing the same all along, complaints minimal...but do complain. It would be cool if the bridge they have built showed even more reality of breaking and fixing the little four cyls to have fun and fun only.

moog and marty were right, japan is a fairy tale to most, unknown facts simply made up as we go along.. I ought to know better, I volunteered to be a world travellor in the military, it was alot to learn, climbing out of the woods called home.

after seeing the kei car, I can understand how the subaru and its boxer is their full size car.

back to subaru chores, and spending little.. I found a way to make the offy lid to aluminum pipe look seamless, will show it when time comes. so, one less silicone piece, now its just the mill finish aluminum pipe, no shine, no glory..

this chore for the intake , to add it all up.
              $70 for offy lid.. that might even be a touch of titanium for all I know. they were expensive since 1949. It has a blue tinge unpainted.. very hard aluminum.

the titanium cone was my time, and to tear down a monitor. To know it was aluminum in most of them monitors, the dell I had may have been a demo model, make colors vivid for customers. the funny result of that is the heat the titanium cannot let go of.. burnt its own vivid colored monitor to death. The cost was my time...and I got to play with some science to test metal.

the air box is loyale, for free.

the thick steel flange with 3 inch steel pipe aging..yet spotless on the inside, that came from a 550 cat with 560k miles.

7 bucks for the silicone, and another 17 for the aluminum pipe. the last bit was the silicone I bought previous, that is coming back out of the bin, and made to work... that was almost 20 a few years ago. Stupid cost...
              oh and some rivets.

so.. about a hundred in total , my way. Geometry mathed out, beyond gimmicks or theories.

crap. I forgot the hood scoop. The only purpose is for the corrected intake on top of the rochester. Blah.

$200 in total for the intake and climbing.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 26, 2014, 06:37 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hocus pocus

popped hood, been sitting a couple of days, went below zero...late february cold still has that summer heat wave for a sun coming on fast in the daylight.

the solid liftered version of this engine was brutal climbing out into the first warm ups if to sit for some time. The old iron v8s did better. This alloy needed the lifters.

still alot of stuff young to me, the ea82.. for 17 years, about 14 of them was the solid lifter old gm 283 type snappy twacker.

the engine bay is shrunk to my eyesight, the plastic chemistry chain is done, even with the cold snap. The sun storm gave a whiff of the house ground in spurts, that may have helped finish it. Titanium loves the sun.. if you are into the magic it can dish out, it is great stuff.

I have won this in stages, the titanium cone was a good finale..now it is if to feel out free reign on the rest of lid over to airbox...plastic or not. I am going aluminum.

Would love to cone the 10 inch piece from 3 to 2.5 inch, tig weld.. but do not have one. Straight 3 inch is ok, the volume is part of the math anyway.

this last piece is to simulate the plenum, now that the expansion cone is in place perfected.

that chain, getting to the point, is a chemistry that altered every owner of these cars. If an addictive self destrucive peronality is at the helm, they are the nut cases on the net claimning nothing is wrong.

one dip below 4F and that plastic is shredding on top of all the other constipated toiletless pzev concepts the gewkster gangstas gave to the world.

I am quite certain, these models altered life and limb, and do just have two examples of living proof...it is part of my mission.

have fun. A world record written would be the ideal finale. Snappy twackers... go blow a rod.

Went for a ride North. I-95 where I am is the straight section at bangor, as an arrow northbound. Seeing the northern lights forecast getting so close, also wanted to try the car with no magnetic ignition. Runs great.

Maine does something amazing with those radiation storms, felt it out many times. One knows when it is happening if you smell the house ground, split seconds at a time. Those are the invisibles finding their way to the atlantic ocean.

An interesting phenomena to feel out with any vehicle here..
                when heading north, in the frigid , with a storm in place.. the heater is strangely strong, even though it is frigid. Now turn around and head south..and wonder why heater is not working at all...

the car is riding the current of the geomagnetic storm. Nothing to fight.. going with a current from outer space. Maine does this specifically, that tundra grain, goes right to the ocean. My rides are in the thousands here , the I-95 into the north... very unique place.

Another thing to look out for is a mysterious cloud line, even though there is no low pressure, that is seen facing south. It is white, and glows..hangs at the coast. Bangor sees it, just south of orono as well. It is to joke here.. when you cannot see the lights, and know something is happening.. you are the northern lights.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 27, 2014, 06:53 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• pictures are out of order, not even a preview to edit what is going where..
                  I keep a blog for the next owner anyway, this thread is just to torture the retarded public.

~~Wanting a strong signal from offy lid to the pipe attached going to air box in fender wall.. needs a rigid connect. I did conjure a way with the aluminum pipe, but needed a more free handed cutter, casually. So .. harbor freight to the rescue.. ordered one of these cheaply:
                  cutoffgrind
                  20,000 rpm cutoff grinder. A coupon, $28 delivered. Will also be using elsewhere of course..

~http://lh5.ggpht.com/-HLYn42O1Wys/Ux...jpg?imgmax=800
                  I was pondering muffler clamp at first, the pipe to offy lid.. but then reassessed the plan. Aluminum pipe cut to the right angle, then a series of notches.. the silicone boot I never used as the gasket and filler for difference in size (2.5 has to go to 3 inch), and this turbo clamp to squash it down..and looking good doing it.
                  This will give the rigid connect I need and let the pipe be the last part of the unknown equation of the plenum volume all rochester carb cars get…plenty of room. Beyond guessing, this is going to gain some performance noise unique, yet again. I will add up all the unique sounds some day, it is something to chuckle at. the very first edition of these, the `1985-87 is the funniest.. any guru knew they were holding back a sasquatch, and it let you know with hints.. in the sounds coming and going.
                  I showed this piece already, but that is also on its way.
                  ~http://lh3.ggpht.com/-ypKZ9hqdl7o/Ux...jpg?imgmax=800
                  This will take the engine shake. The loyale engine has a big cam rumble, I love it.. respecting what hits what gets very important. Beyond this piece is the damper in the steel flange on air box.
                  And one last little secret to find some math for plenum (pipe size):
                  ~http://lh6.ggpht.com/-kUNoCblMcsA/Ux...jpg?imgmax=800

this is a disposable lid with filter inside, for a 1.8liter chevette with a monojet. The depth and circumference with the other photos of this , I concluded to have plenty for the emulsify kick with the setup I am putting into place. The offy lid has a beautiful geometry, as if the flow makes a pipe within a pipe. They were quite serious about carbs way back when rochester came out in 1949.. I am glad to make use of the fancy curvy appearance. Given the bigger barrel, that is the only reason for the 3 inch pipe. It will never be full, this is about the pipe within a pipe, to gain a seasoned tune.
                  Next post will be my hack job cutting and how to make it look good.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-40a69mh4HkA/Ux...jpg?imgmax=800

pictures are a bit out of order, and do not know how to post them in order within the writing..if even possible anymore.

the sube log keeps trucking like the sube anyway.
                  Did some errands today, the sun storm, if a good one, leaves an odor of transformers in the air, lke getting overloaded while nothing is overloaded. This locale gets that all the time. the sun cycle routines only enhance it.

During this time, the boxer used to have a real bad time.. it is quite nice right now. I remember the oil filled coils did something very powerful. I am looking ahead to some nicer body painting, sanding.. take this to some gathering that cares. I'd always show up to a bangshift event if local enough. Montreal and their famous track is closer to me that epping NH. Strange but true. The canadian border and the hills inbetween make it seem like an eternal ride, but it is not. I have taken one of these little subes all over maine, all borders.

The littleness of this buggy is all done. To be large is to be normal. Alot of builders in racing forget this realm.. I am just a humble reminder...and putting american forgotten parts to good use to boot.

found some black soot on the back window, as if to be processing diesel.. but it is not, it is the last of the plastics from intake. I actually learned that about titanium when working planes here, they never got bothered by the dump, until interior cabin air infections. Titanium scares it away...

The cat is 3 way.. the other important part of this. A you tube user commented on one of my videos, a cold start with -6F around noon. He had mentioned starting up in michigan at -9 to -14. That is brutal, maine doubles it in the other direction..with no warm waters next door. I have lost the whole country speaking of this car in this place. It gets the same chores as a big diesel forced to keep running.That -6f at noon is only one part of the day, maine falls right off into the unknowns by the next sunrise. of course when houses squeez elike a sponge from january on, just the cat litters pulverizes every japanese alloy. Add to the sewer that stopped flowing and witch crafted poverty thinking food is unnecessary... not a friendly place. The titanium does good.

I have seen mysteries of the tundra grain show up on satellite...flying southeast right over the ocean. the north ocean, hovering at 40F and warmer than the whole state by 50-70 degrees sometimes. I have not encountered anyone exceeding the plastics with their sube, until maine (and several other vehicles here- especially turbo). That declares the air fuel and compression quite lively, if to suffer on a natural engine. The damper also.. most keep their shit sucker wide open, maybe tighten the hole.. this place needs the whole dynamic, or no run.

The rochester years , they all had metal lids. The only gripes was those silly heat rise tubes made of cardboard looking stuff. If the lid had a damper, it ran forever.. never had vehicles that tough since. In fact, the only vehicle I ever outrun an antifreeze limit, with proper mix.. was chevy v8, way below zero, climbing out of milo maine to go to work in bangor. I left a contrail hovering more than a mile long when the pipes burst. I still get very angry at the ricer plague and marketing. Nothing is tough from those countries, until an aviation industry builds something. America has its stories too, same subjects. This sube is the last of the attempts to be strong, on par with those natural diesels the little trucks got. Everything else is a faking crack addict with a fairy tale. I am on my last and only asian vehicle..

long live the hot rod, get the ape, midget and wimpy nerd and monkey out of it.. and that is the future.

looking forward to finishing this.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 2, 2014, 11:32 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 12 cups and 3 degrees..

the term cold snap is an old one. My locale has done all the snapping a long time ago. The house I am in has an 1859 deed, and unknown history before that...

blew out the headphones, the tiny wires aren't like the old giant jack headset that could irritate an eardrum..

Flew to wal mart missing my headphones for all of five minutes, started to sweat. 30 minutes till they close, 3 degrees outside. Started up per usual with a whole lot more control. No vibrating steering wheel, AFR mix is robust, the cone really fixed it. Still have rubber tube to air filter box, that will be fixed this week.

Incredibly alive. I am not pushing any more on the air/ fuel/ ignition/ exhaust... nothing. This is in the math of 1 point something horsepower per cubic inch, the old school runtimes masterpiece...with a torque line still greater. GM and v8 is my past, I have mentioned..this is identical to the late 60s hay day of gm v8s.

Climbing off the ramp to a street called broadway, a couple of people looking at the buggy coming, and going on by. ...It is that alive.

12 cup coffee maker for 9 bucks, why not. It is 2.839 liters sitting there..black coffee contrasted to the white coffeemaker. Measuring nearly half of that with my eyeball, and thinking of an engine at 1781cc..
                    simply unreal.

we are breaking a record this evening, for cold. I was at bangshift in 2011, when we broke a cold record almost to the day in a freak March..and same temperature. Far from the same old sube however, and I liked how it was going back then..

A -15F for the morning.

edit:
                    never did hit -15F, in fact..that sun is a wow factor. Going to be a roaster soon enough.

a cool winter this year. Since december 5th to today, the average maximum low is -5F. That is alot of cold days.
                    The average high down the middle of everything is 4F below freezing, at 28 degrees.
                    We will be over 100 days this year, average high below freezing.. I ponder 120 by the time it averages above 32.

the last we saw an evening above freezing was 48 days ago. (1 month and 17 days).. a quick stab in january.

the stunning part, is the mean temperature.. this is all temperatures averaged down the middle. that has been 18F since december 5th. That is 90 days today.
                    Shredded the plastics for the last time this year. Glad to play with some free titanium.

this evening, did some shopping, kept 75 pounds of food way in back by the tailgate. giving fuel I noticed it goes rich very soon..
                    according to the CAI tests, this is the indication I won big with air flow, the carb works on air moving. Leaning this out is going to be one heck of a yelp..
                    a new realm yet again, even bigger. The feel that nothing wants to fly apart is the unreal part. No torque steer..

boarding the highway to get home, just letting off at 3k rpm is a solid thump of rochester owning the fuel off and throttle blade. This little buggy wants to run large..

the reason I went for th rochester in the first lace..is finally happening in the way I wanted for years. I went slower than my sube was willing I guess, like alot of people that do not know this drivetrain.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 5, 2014, 09:57 AM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• The poison chain..

on the intake subject, I have gone on so long I forget how serious some of the chore list was.
                      This car in the loyale era had a tube that attracted anything with a crystalline structure in the atmosphere, it could be as simple as road salt or some drug crystal meth escaping a bangor losers ghetto window. I think this car has had it all.. not mine, but the model in general.

the first engine was a bad casting..but it did indeed have an all metal lid. It took me several years to realize why I liked that piece of crap for an engine: the carb lid was metal.

My sube has not attacked me into needing an ambulance for more than a year, it is being nice to me. The last attack was in my lung, working the ABS plastic cone below the offy lid on the carb. It sheds glass below 4F, maine version.. it is not the same as anyone elses. Also, unique for this one, a never ending scent of chicken shit to the point of eye watering.. the loyale rubber with its incomplete process, likes something in chicken shit.

titanium is like having a firewall on either side until the new pipe shows up tomorrow...doing good. Still not risking health any further, pipe is due very soon.

this was a subject I was supposed to dwell on, and did just the opposite. One more day.. it is already pleasant, as I had mentioned in an earlier post. the titanium is a whoopass piece of magic for this plastic chain gewkster nightmare.

..and in similar news, I found another loyale engine local for 500 or make offer. looked good in photos, and even has the automatic lightweight flywheel still on the back. Easy life, 2wd. Will be making offer..

A daydream of my version of racing engine is getting closer. this one here is to cruise nice, and get on the highway in a hurry. I really like it. Uses nothing for fluids.

looking ahead to leaning this out, a half turn on a screw and ten seconds...

long story short,
                      loyale rubber tubing has to go.. a real CAI will gain rich until tuned again, loyale does it with a few ons and offs of runtime, slow learner, 80s type computing.. That is a win in the CAI world, the reason companies make them. This exact model is at the extreme end of gain, your moneys worth..shame no one made anything. The other thing.. you should get some heavies out the back, they could be anything from black soot to a white cloud...wherever the mystery plastics left off. It won't take long.This means the past is done. I opted to stay rich for some days, the AFR gauge right in front of me anyway. Stoich wins anything, I have been told..give a fat shot to set some clean in, set some oxides in the octane setter of fuels.. mostly nitrogens/co2..

the exhaust note is the finale, of course..and amount of gas pedal for the same chores decreases.

stay healthy.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 5, 2014, 06:49 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• CAI intake installed

very cold, worked quick in the sun. Aluinum is easy enough. Nice tubing form the company that sent it.
                        Follow velocityair on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!

aluinum. What is that. alumillenium, that is how the english say it. Dawn of the new alumillenium.

~~snipped it to length with skil saw, and installed. Still awaiting two clamps, and did use one last piece of the loyale original rubber, at the offy lid end. I was sure to leave some of the wire that kept the silly tube puffed out as well..more for grounding statics than anything. The little rubber ribbed piece is so short, the aluminum pipe is nearly touching the offy lid anyway. Extremely difficult geometry. I wanted the bumper end to be at air box, but it was much easier letting th offy lid be the shaker, and the intake tube stay stiff.

On a nice day, I may get a final take on it. I also cut down cone by .25 inch, and bent the offy lid side of cone edges outward, gained a velocity stack looking piece… more curvy. It is a friendlier meeting fluid dynamically for the lid to cone.

The final addon for the new aluminum was a PCV connection I drilled and tapped right in. that is made of a shiny steel something leftover from an air compressor.

Now all metal CAI. Aluminum, steel, titanium..

For now, it let out a grumble like that crazy 2wd Loyale did when I installed an all steel intake on first run.. that car topped at 115. This one is over 150% more air fuel curve precisely..with proper parts meant just for intakes.

the goal is met before even tying: 135mph.

The first time I did this to a loyale engine intake tube, in 2006.. I laughed out loud. All I was trying to do was stop the sickness the rubber created, ended up with a whole lot more. I got it done nicely now, on a much bigger reality. I have related this tale to other older japanese vehicles. It is funny as heck..a real CAI literally adding up to 50hp.

will grab photos soon. Looks so simple, like I did not do much..but oh, I did.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 6, 2014, 04:29 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• little sube is getting to be fun. Way back off the throttle, alot more power.
                          its a bit freakish , how wrong can an oem rubber intake be?
                          I have not encountered a crazier climb out of crap.. the sube swapped to metals.
                          I even gained power brakes. The rubber is that freakishly wrong.

jdm that... bitches.

awaiting two turbo t-clamps to finish it, and the cone now has some rubbery plastic trim to aid in self centering, sealing.. the lid can be thrown on and not pay attention, the trim allows a seal any old way...can be cockeyed buy the 1/16th to 1/8th it plays with. There is a centered mode, just need to pay attention.

some more intake and messed up order of photos, I am sure it can be figured out. the real diary for this has a good reson for existing. ~~intake 003
                          I wanted less clamps. Cut a sheet of the titanium into a ring shape, that is what the screws are going through to secure it. This pinches the silicone. 4 screws, one has a nut..the rest a self tapped. This wants to stay sealed on its own, as it a snug natural fit. This also gets too close to hood with anything going over the aluminum pipe, opted to stay inside. Will not go lower on the cone to drop height, it is just right as of now. this allows me to keep that setup.

ge silicone tape, htp1010. Self sticking, self healing, and apply heat to create your own molded shape. This will go over the screws and visible blue, and then heated. Down to one clamp. The most troublesome spot in this cars 9 year history complete.

removing the last of the old rubber broke yet another chain of simply unfreakin real. I would love to have it tested for plutonium.

I learned this runtime here is nearly upside down to seattle, or west coast.. they even think EGR has a normal function. Wondering how insanity in engineering spews across the world by some local blind king at his own town line..or perhaps his own shaking island...

location is everything. This year, bangor is breaking water mains buried 7 feet under..frozen. To describe why titanium pieces was needed on an intake for a 1781cc boxer could get real easy.. its going down, the big flow. Just the intake damper is almost 3 inch.. it is hilarious.

The surge back up the other way is called spring, it goes with the rest of the world...or does it. The fun in this, is how large winter demanded. Spring is an even bigger leap, all the way to landspeed. The boxer is passive in a lot of ways.

Needs puny taken away, and large and in charge in place. Today gets two turbo clamps on my "cute" little n/a engine intake.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 8, 2014, 09:27 AM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• intake complete. Turbo clamps installed, added a nice setup for the cone, fully waterproof (air tight).

went for a ride, march sun is marching in, bright and in my face on I-95 heading west out of bangor maine. 75-80, like everyone else out there.

the runtime is incredible. The dust and sticky dirt is one end to the other, including the glass.. all the glass is smothered. the right side is caked with mud from an unknown source..

barely had to squint at the sun.

8 years ago, I got a loyale for free.. seeming much younger then, I grabbed a steel pipe from behind a shed, the rubber intake was driving me nuts.. hacked it off, made a cold air intake...
                            and drove off to the store. The last awe of an engine for me is a gm v8, and that subaru story.

I drove by the store, got a coffee instead...

25 hours and 13 states later, I was pulling back in the driveway. 1357 miles round trip, a 1 hour break.

This setup here is even better.. safer tread, bigger brakes, and the inertia of a heavier machine, less go kart, more wagon.

the hood scoop is a sight in the sun, takes half the hood away, I like it there. The biggest little engine in the world..buzzing along like a humming bird.

A final test was the car wash, my waterproof buss box, the metal piping for intake..started right up , drove off, no odors of somebody's flunking blowels...chicken shit, nuclear crows or bangors anything but nuclear dump site, or poly chains or.. the list goes on as old as the pig of New England.

little sube in heaven. It even smells like the good soap after the wash. the original intake boot was indeed a nightmare. The soap triggered a chemistry that lasted for days. I am inspired to be real slow with the chassis this year on painting. A choice of two paint guns, one big, one smaller..I am going to tape a line and give it a good shot of real undercoat for the rockers after frankenstien on the right one to finish it. Those are beyond .25 inch for most of the five foot runs...and still getting pummeled to death.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 10, 2014, 10:35 AM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• big snow
                              I made a title line..
                              now maybe for some photos like I used to...

late snowstorm.
                              ~~URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
                              NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME
                              313 PM EDT TUE MAR 11 2014
                              MEZ015>017-120315-
                              /O.UPG.KCAR.WS.A.0005.140312T1800Z-140314T0000Z/
                              /O.EXA.KCAR.WS.W.0006.140312T1800Z-140313T2200Z/
                              SOUTHERN PENOBSCOT-INTERIOR HANCOCK-CENTRAL WASHINGTON-
                              INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BANGOR...BREWER...ORONO...OLD TOWN...
                              AMHERST...AURORA...DEDHAM...EASTBROOK...GREAT POND...ORLAND...
                              DEBLOIS...GRAND LAKE STREAM...MEDDYBEMPS...PEMBROKE...PERRY...
                              PRINCETON
                              313 PM EDT TUE MAR 11 2014
                              ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM WEDNESDAY TO 6 PM EDT
                              THURSDAY...
                              THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CARIBOU HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
                              WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN
                              EFFECT FROM 2 PM WEDNESDAY TO 6 PM EDT THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM
                              WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
                              * LOCATIONS...EASTERN AND NORTHERN MAINE.
                              * HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.
                              * ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 12 INCHES...ALONG
                              WITH AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.
                              * ICE ACCUMULATIONS...AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH.
                              * SLEET ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES.
                              * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES.
                              * TIMING...WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY.
                              * IMPACTS...HIGH IMPACT. HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE
                              VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVELING CONDITIONS. OCCASIONAL BLOWING AND
                              DRIFTING SNOW WILL CAUSE NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.
                              * WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
                              * TEMPERATURES...UPPER TEENS WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND MID TO UPPER 20S
                              FOR THURSDAY.
                              * VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
                              I like the late snows, they are steel scrubbers. Temp changes fast, 12 hour days... steel has a nice trick through this.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 11, 2014, 02:24 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• fusion tape

got this in the mail. Wrapped up the intake end at the offy lid. Huge continuity change as I was wrapping, heard some invisible snaps at the coil, then it calmed in. The aluminum pipe warmed up. I must be resembling the loyale runtime intentions.

The edges being exposed on the aluminum pipe was quite a thief electrically, apparently. Another boxer mystery. I forget the intake one all the time. This stuff here is good for 392F, –-49F, and 400v. did not get a picture of install, its snowing like a basturd right now. Late march snow, 8 to 15 inches.

I can tell this did something for the pcv entrance too, the edge of tape touches the inlet on the pipe.. maybe pipe is calmed enough to have sent nitrogen via the carb emulsifier, very calming. I used to work for that in my previous ea82 engines, the runtime is inifinite when you know you got the pcv going in an inert circle (it uses an element from fuel to do so). I guess this one was not content there...ran quite lit with some amps and static pressures, steals the fuel vapors. Quite a mystery power on this engine, up above the carb. This hit a sweet spot.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 12, 2014, 12:28 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X