No announcement yet.

1987 subaru: dual range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finalizing a tune, found an interesting article by hypertech.

looking around for a typical tuning procedure, it seems I did the routine by nature. Start with timing, wrap around it the rest of the tune. A retard timing is the most torque and safe..but teasing the fuel slow speed is simply fatter than for the same settings as advanced timing. This one needs advanced a tiny bit more, but letting off throttle has a back scavenge more on advanced timing. With a bad cat, cannot do that yet.

The monojet and the way my afr gauge works, the best sounding and most power together seems to bring a 15 to 1 about third throttle, and it gets fatter from there. A timing advance will also bring the max dump of 10 to 1 afr back into 11 or 12 . Cannot stomp throttle yet. Too rich near floored. When I finally set overall curve advanced a bit more and keeping my intake switch, I am in for a decent run. Just need to be sure exhaust is normal first. Another oddity with the boxer. The throttle actually has a midpoint of a stoich run.. instead of just there at all times. I can see why Subaru themselves just let the little monster go as an open jet, no needle, and working with a progressive back barrel to attempt a bigger run when needed. It was never correct, the monojet is quite a lesson on the boxer. Feeding one at stoich in low rpms is actually rich. I keep it lean by a few points...then give it the monster gradual. The noise of lean sounds feisty, but that is not where the big sustaining power is. That is what I conquered. The engine will have to run out of stroke (torque) to know it is complete.

I guess I did learn the oddity about this self balance. A counterbalance is the kick at slow speed pretending its working harder...stabilizing a carb, hence a stoich number at idle and low speed would be normal. The self balance literally has to lean out to stay nice at slow speed, then fattens as it climbs loaded. One peculiar large rheostat in every number of tuning.. simply includes afr to a lean being the difference form other engines. Any other "normal" setting has a flunk. An easy way to verify what I learned..1500 rpm loaded gets the fuel it wants. 1500 rpm at high idle will not. Genius by nature. Volume, timing, afr to a lean and fat. Bizarre to a typical way.

The finale will not be a racing mode, I'd make an intake for that. With a spare oem intake, using that as a template.. bolt two ends to oem intake upside down, and fill in with art. Cold pipe spanning it. I could weld something up quick out of aluminized steel. The genius as of now, started with the first fuel price leap in 2008.. coinciding with the first year this buggy could do 90 all day long. 30s mpg in the 80s to 90... not much is gonna catch up. Beyond luck.. but that is part of it. the way this runs, when intake warms up, the fuel mixture actually richens as a preserver, safe keeper, very emulsified and pure. Going racing is not part of it...although on the highway in the 80s, it does cool down. Another peculiar backwards, it goes faster as you go faster. Setting itself up for a very long day in any weather...I grew to like it a lot. Today its into the 100s mph, and never go there.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 3, 2013, 09:41 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

progressive vacuum

in an earlier post I revealed the error in the carb gasket that prevented progressive vacuum ports from functioning.

this vid shows how it works.

Very nice. It does get very very loud on the exhaust side, but that is a super tune for you. This will have the exhaust buttoned up midweek coming up. As it should fatten the mix a little on high flow cat, no tune will be necessary, this is all dialed in waiting for completion. Being you type in high flow cat on you tube gets a talking cat or..?

I'll record as good as I can to make that four videos out of the billions for a 100 cell cat recorded on you tube. The biggest noticeable thing is the acceptance of throttle..alot quicker in the cars that shred sounds. Even an explorer v8..sounded like crap at low speed, but that is American v8. Taking it easy in an suv..the m5 bimmer on the other hand was very noticable. the saddest facts I found about the cats.. factory versions flow 200-250cfm. What does that tell you about the damn engine?

believe it or not this was not easy. opening too fast caused a burp..and back scavenge. A quick thump. Big carb little engine. I dialed in the speed of damper some weeks back. This means it is setup for full run, as far as it will go.

the hiss at the end is my dad showing up in his rig, not the sube pissing something.

upon checking it in the dark after I came home with a flashlight..no leaks anywhere. Smells like a good engine as well. This one is ready to go. I am looking forward to recording the final exhaust.. that has been six years of trial and error.

Today, added another pinhole damper to progressive vacuum.. the carb is that big on this little engine apparently. I wanted to slow intake damper that much more to keep fuel fatter at slow rpm. Doing well. Love to drive it. Climbing out onto the inner city highway is always mid 60s mph minimum.. getting to be almost as retarded as southern new England. Watching gauges to the new stuff.. just hitting 2800 is in the mid 60s in fourth, Taking it to past 3k is beyond averages. A lot of machines as modern with giant wheels and a fourth gear auto or even more. To ponder 26 years out there with them with 300cc less than the smallest thing going. Ten gears , a wagon, and awd...and one barrel. It is hilarious. The world is a mental retard.

The comical part is pausing that loud exhaust to idle it down to fifth gear. Just enough to assume another dimensia. I always love it.
      I hope to have some time and money to get a landspeed number written. This one is set to climb 'til there is no more...finally. Ricer games will have to be played..removing a roof rack, clean fluid for the rear diff to make it slippery..etc. 115mph a 2wd stops on the 42mm spf injection. this one has no stops, and amuch bigger air intake. the turning point is around 90mph for this chassis and engine..as heads cool, it gets another wind..but needs fuel of a race car consumption into the low 20s mpg, or even high teens. A lesson I learned years ago...the gas station gas and performance all goes to the same place when maximizing anything. This sure has signs of plenty of fuel towards max rpm. Curiosity has me a bit. I cannot try that on the highway of course.

I get itchy to talk out loud sometimes, other builders of anything. I look for cars and coffee maine version, there is never anything. then if you find something, it is some small eccentric group well to do, or all American. I know this place when it comes time for American to get together..showing up in an old Subaru would be odd.

Anyway, found a cars and coffee in massachussetts, one this weekend will be at a Porsche dealer in Burlington. I'd show up just to get a look around.. that is this buggies genre anyway. I also rummaged through photos, saw kids looking stuff over. That is a lot of what saving this one is about...no more extincting everything.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 5, 2013, 06:17 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

lap times

I was just looking at the LFA v10 Toyota go 7:14 on the nurburgring. that is very fast. Seeing how long 7 minutes is non-stop... 30 seconds either way is not much of a gain is it?

into the 6 minute range is holy cow.

I really put it into perspective spotting the Subaru 2 liter spec C with a bigger than factory turbo go 7:55 minutes.

if that crazy 5 main did that.. I guess I am not impressed with production of anything.

all real performance is owner based. The 7:55 in fact is faster than Porsche just a decade ago...

what in hell is the fascination? I vote tire/suspension technology. power has been there for half a century or more.

I hope to find another ea82.. the boost games have never even begun for me. I had read of the 190bhp 3 main in the rally new Zealand. if satan made a noise that little buggy made them. Imagine the tread and suspension of today on the 200bhp 3 main, digital controls where it matters...

some history to be made, not forgotten.

I remember learning of the heads, they had them hacked up to change angle of exhaust etc. Today the continuity in the correct direction would need no hacks at all on physical flow. physics of electric/hertz would carry it. The feedback must have ached teeth in 1986. I know those cars first hand. Does not have to be that way..
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 6, 2013, 11:35 AM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

high flow cat installed

Two thumbs up for MBS high flow cat. It did this little gentle giant good.

large honeycomb. nice.

A very heavy weld up front, I decided to put flange right on the end of it. New 2.25 pipe about 2 feet in back of cat.
          All installed, need a few gaskets, an adjustment..but overall it is just what the doctor ordered. Exhaust is much quieter, AFR does not load up when I need to work the little engine into half throttle and beyond. Very casual.
          Rear end needs a day all by itself yet again..but have a master tractor trailer plan to finalize forever. I was going to tackle it today and changed my mind..about 2 hours into the exhaust, no need to exhaust (pun) myself. I’ll reserve a whole day for that.

Deciphering a cat problem has an ass talking first approach to figure it out. Cat problems:
          1. "Be sure engine is tuned before determining cat." WTF? A bad cat will not allow a tune.
          2. "The vehicle is overloaded." This means the vehicle is hauling all content.. everything except for the cat. WTF?
          3. 50,0000,00,000 cells per inch on a one barrel with 1781cc. WTF?! Of all engines to puke a dense cat.. its the tiny ones.
          4. miles and time. Cali has it at 70k miles or 7 years. This is the only one I could agree with.

The other thoughts on my own..pisses me off the most. No mention on the types of cat, no thoughts on distance from engine. No thoughts of design of engine it is going to. Hardly any manufacture mentions weight limits or density. We are all on our own. Going with common sense usually works.. unless you go the wrong direction. The mbs cat mentioned all but weight limit. A Japanese tin can must be well under their design anyway.

there is something unusal about the sun today and welding. I cannot place it..it must be the sun cycle stuff. Invisible beamers. I’ll go easy on the weld time on, and be sure to take a few more minutes for a break. The other reason I did not tackle the last rear crossmember weld…will get it on a cool morning.

The ride home was 15miles, got underneath to tighten up the spring loaded bolts a turn or two.. noticed the cat is every color of the rainbow already. Claiming not hot enough was the first dumb thng I did. The boxer is a beautiful monster.. dumps all energy of every fire. if this does something towards fail, it will get one cat per bank like a porsche. It feels good right now, tune is matching my build.
          Another unique thing.. I like travelling dirt roads, sometimes pine needles all over them. this engine pops a flame if incorrect. Not nearly the drama of the mentally challenged EJ series engine.. but it can still happen. The new cat processes NOx as well as the old stuff, and that is the finale about the cat and a boxer engine setup to fire for real. American version. Count on the fire being real.

Another real thing I like to talk of..nuclear and physics mysteries cars can gather. the ride home had ten more radio stations....
          it was a nice ride home on the new cat. If to think that is dramatic and impossible. Ponder two cats getting removed from a 550hp diesel with 620k miles on it. Will be hauling the active pile to the recycle myself. Never put those inside the vehicle. Don't ask me why. I'll be using a trailer next time.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 7, 2013, 05:03 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

test run

I bet I am in at least 100 test runs..my local highway. Tonight was trying out the new cat at load, 70s to 80s mph. Got a whiff of the diesel like smell that seemed to be lining the ends of it.

blog post:
            A highway ride.. I do alot of those in a short run to see how things went for the work done. Everything feels good. Brakes are getting very responsive. Takes along time for this one, as the hillholder has no real bleed. one just has to wit it out, normal use of brakes gets it eventually. This one is ready to go. AFR nice, timing nice. If I decide to go ahead a few degrees advanced it is ok. The top end is way beyond my needs of 80s mph. Nice and smooth. the rear has to warm up to be quiet..always bugged me about this model, but it is still the quietest I have ever run once full warm. I also noticed the radio has some red bezel lights. I definitely killed a power thief by changing the cat. The lights go back out if I tap the radio.. I really did not want any bezel lights. Nice little extra. Weld up the rear end and go with it. One thing it is doing now is way outrunning the speedo. Got a decent pull and rpms that don’t match it. Boxer legend. Reminds me of the 2wd subaru I had.. my only speeding ticket ever was at the throttle of a 90hp boxer engine.
            An rpm I had to remember, and forgot.. was 3600 in fifth. I am pretty sure that is 90mph. It does not take long to get there. in fact this is the quietest leap ever, and its going the fastest. Crazy boxer.

attempting a .25 mile like leap.. I have no idea where it is at. Simply normal to me, but fast or slow to someone else. My goals are met. No spare engine.. I keep back on the timing.

edit:
            a gear calc with leeway of error/overhead..
            3500 - 85mph
            4000 - 96mph

the timing kept back gains the 90s at lower rpm. Very responsive like that.. another boxer trait going on there. To gain speed with advanced timing is more overhead of loss in rpm to speed... but you can climb faster to a higher rpm. Feelin' the gears....

I did learn, something knows its destination before it gets there.
            from air duct opening to intake, to drain from fuel tank to carb...
            timing curve.
            the mystery is 3 main related. I am all v8 in my prior life. I have never completely comprehended the lack of output sound to the job getting done with the 3 main. This does mean I keep changing speed and time and power every year.. been about 7 tinkering with different power ability. Always learning something new. I have travelled mid 10s in my own chevelle. I am glad to have lived that to compare to.

Another conclusion I have now.. this tin can into simply the high 12s or less is going to look like its swaying down the track. No known means to stop it. I don't want to, after deciphering how this genius stays on the road.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 7, 2013, 08:22 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

AFR to 3 mains

tinkering with the tune ever since an AFR gauge installed.. I have ousted every article giving advice. Including this one at wikipedia about AFR ratio.

Detonation can cause serious engine damage as the uncontrolled burning of the fuel air mix can create very high pressures in the cylinder. As a consequence, stoichiometric mixtures are only used under light load conditions. For acceleration and high load conditions, a richer mixture (lower air-fuel ratio) is used to produce cooler combustion products and thereby prevent detonation and overheating of the cylinder head.
              my own likes stoich at heavy load. Self balance to the stoich rescue..

another oddity..as power demand decreases, regardless of rpm, stoich can peg to off, (22.4 for my gauge), and stay at 18 to 16 right into the 70s mph and low rpm to get there.

I know how it killed cats.. they are not smart enough for a perfect engine.

One thing I did to trick fuel into a richer mix while cruising on long distance is the damper on progressive vacuum, all automatic. Shut down the entire mix to a small realm, maintain closer to stoich if to run a long time at a stable rpm. It can move the damper ever so gentle, it also keeps engine cleaning...while giving a real carbon layer. All engines love that layer. In fact, the fuel dumper called an EJ engine.. that is the attraction for the fanboys. It is a boxer never good on fuel. I have even found the 200k mile version local. I would never dismantle one, but they did get the slob to go that far...with the safety of fuel carbon. That was one of the reasons for the little mission with the 3 main. If it needed to stay lean to be happy.. reduce air side to make it fat. That is still something no engine does... the circuits at slow speed are still big fat air movers today.

Subarus learning curve with the boxer is fun to decipher.. very human. The one that ran the longest had this tiny hot maf opening keeping it fat.. but no big power out the other end when it needed. This project conquers the whole realm. Tiny stoich, to as much as it can breathe in.. all one engine. A nice finale would be the 42mm spfi injection, and a dynamical progressive air like I have for the carb. I'd call that perfect myself.

For this one to be real content, it assumes itself lean.. then the clean pig builds a physics monster. Instead of carbon to complain of later..it plays games like a hadron collider all the way to molecular. That is the oddity with the 3 main boxer. Even the pcv is working to a sterile operating room. Everything within the rotating mass has a self cancel, an owner sets the motion of what to do with it. pcv is a tricky one.. the whole thing is tricky. It all wants to work in a big way. Most engines have that goopy brown viscosity saving it, slightly warm, but saving it. That is how I deciphered the heat and the waterboxer. It is too content to even run a normal heater. It is a spotless engine. They even tried to goop this one with a bomb called EGR...offset cam lobes, repulsive tricks over the years to mimick an inline four.

the one in this thread finally shipped with normal cams, a chance to be quite large and in charge of whatever work is put forward.

The more I know, the more amazing it really is.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 8, 2013, 07:33 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

an odd note about my welding mask.

I am not sure how many hours it took to warp the cage surrounding the auto dim element..on the inside of the mask. Must be quite a few. I am at my 42nd pound of mig wire. I used a blow torch and bent it back to hold that in snugly. ..do not need a light leaking past it. Cleaned up easy enough, I noticed the cage with two screws on the sides was warped the wrong direction. the auto dim element could wiggle around even if the screws were tight. Good price for an auto dim..should have known to check closer.

The sube will take all of the 42nd pound, have yet another reel awaiting. The rear end complete is in another weight class entirely. I'll check local for some steel, and my local truck stop.

I also noticed in the local news today a vote unanimously to stop ethanol fuel from being 15% or more. I only found keywords "damaging to small engines". It can be overcome.. but that is the chore list on the first page. Catalyst may be number one... as time goes along, I am fairly certain now. A newer car, I have no clue. The old ones had a process that is missing unlike today. The NOx stuff...and the old ones went for lean burn, very confident in the cats power. Today does not do that at all. That would have killed every injected machine known.

back to popping like a 1781cc version of a rally wagon letting off the throttle...I was not hoping for that at all. That is the way it is.

A ride to add a few gallons, its getting warm out. low fuel challenges everything. Heading into downtown traffic, somebody stopped and let me go. The antique plates are doing something for me… I am special. Verifying the progressive and switch on shifter. its all a go. I have not run the injected version of this engine since 2005..a lot of the same traits are emerging. No getting big power until intake cools out of the city. the fuel savings is backwards this way. Save in the city and use more on the highway. I love it.

there is a last chore, and it brings the hell on earth version of this little buggy.. advancing the timing until a ping, and back off a little. I am cut back at least 5 degrees, the whole realm. This was for intake damper and old cat. It is ready to go back ahead to the bellowing rochester'd devil it is. This also takes out the fat condition towards 3/4 throttle. Funny enough, the fire is so strong, the original factory mark takes up 3/4 of the washer above it.. on the retarded side, to be advanced. I can blow the engine like a pro if not careful.

I am getting boring.. I am holding back the fun...cautious is a nicer thing to say.

wandering out to where the frogs chirp at night..I know I have this correct now. my v8s used to change when leaving the city, the cool air of the woods very noticeable. This buggy don't care. I can call it a war machine and get away with it.

A header tickety snap noise is all that's left, have two turbo gaskets on the way. one of those goes into a flange connection I made the same size as the header, that is back by the gas tank for muffler. I have not had a runtime into this realm of really caring yet, the injected one 8 years ago was the only one I left alone. The 2wd was so light, the Subaru retards did not even matter... unless egr spit an odor..that sucked. dizzy maker. That was somewhere in its 20th hour, the odor... took a long time. I drove it for 24 hours.

This one is worlds different. Setup with bigger everything. I know to get out of the addiction of taking off fast, set it up for a strong casual torque number. Advance timing should get it out of the 11AFR at full throttle. I'll leave it there...that should only be a degree or two. Not much to move disty around.

I can breathe in the wagon chassis, could go a long day. I know how rare this is, to treat it as the big guts not many respected at all ever. One longass ride recorded to bore everybody who did not care...seems fitting.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 8, 2013, 06:46 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

ready to drive

Cat did not reject the engine or vice versa, I had thoughts about the monojets dichromate. This monojet appeared to have the Louisiana bayou coming from texas. Mostly grey, no pink killer...that is a lot of water somplace to clean it off to that level. It even likes the cheap paint I gave it. Looking over connections etc, all very good. not even an odor to pop the hood.

I left the timing at what I used to call conservative..as close to my chevelles runtime as I can get with the same carb. The chevelle seemed slow when timing was set with a gun. I never forgot it. It is at that setting it can do 90 all day long, trouble free.

No more hot rod for this one, the goal is in fact sustaining antique. I suppose that is an oxymoron. two valve high compression with big barrel Rochester...

its a hot rod forever.

Climbing a very short steep side road to get home, (its all climbing to get home), it dug way down low rpm as a diesel like trait , the sharp ramp from a stop to get up onto the road. No coughs, strains or pings. I am doing something right. That one spot used to slip the oem clutch.. let alone have enough engine being happy.

Awaiting some manifold gaskets, and the rear weld. May get a brand new tire for the long trip I will be taking...but do not need to. Nice and smooth.

I was just watching a lengthy video on some young Porsche drivers, they get assessed, judged a bit, recommended for their next future moves. I always wondered how serious it gets today.

A real good racer is crew chief who does not get his hands dirty. It is beyond a daydream, that is where a lot of hotrodders end up to.

I am glad to find boxer related stuff.
                  I remember learning, they used to pair crew chiefs to certain pilots, language etc. It is not like that today. I am glad to know I learned old stuff.. cold stuff. Beyond words. It will be a long time for some to figure out why this Subaru got built by me.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 9, 2013, 08:53 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

the eleventh digit

VIN DECODE
                    having had some strange events related to id and numbers, I won't share the whole number..
                    all shows up per Subaru documentation except the 11th digit. I have a letter "E". According to Wikipedia, I am something not documented. Not only is the A-rally theory making sense, the dual range transmission never shown as an option in book values or decoding.

A new oddity was a website that decodes for free somehow determined this to be a turbo 4 cylinder. I am doubting this. someone would have gutted the wiring perfectly to be back to a carb if it was.

So as of now, the common history with the old Subaru was race teams wanted a manual steering bare bones DL type car with the big transmission. Subaru to follow rules had to make 5000 of what was wanted to be in the A-rally starting January 1987.

This car also has the last of the original rx rear end in a wagon (unusual combo) with the date stamp 12/86. the very last month and year to use it.

This is all going to an appraisal. The actual ride is the money maker.

speaking of ride.

My daydream of "25 hours of le suby" is that much closer.
                    I have owned it all. NOTHING maintained the stamina of a water boxer with 3 main bearings for that many hours all at once. Not even my dads rig is something to stay in for a 500 mile jaunt all at once. He did go 3400 miles just last week, got a last 500 on a Saturday.

My scale of travel, I am not letting go.

a reminder as to why I am at a hot rod forum with the EA series 3 main Subaru. I have heard stories of the EJ series kicking a pile of bearings out at high idle on a maine frigid start. The lies are done about what subaru engine is stronger. The sooner you catch on kids, the better off you will be..

its about having fun with a strong machine...not a Chinese bronze with a black plague.

I have literally been kicked and asked to be kicked for being a pro involuntarily. For those that lost to an abyss after being forewarned...oh well. I started rambling in the 90s. I bought my first EA to preserve in 1996. How dare they do that to a boxer. Any boxer. I even learned the gov't could have intervened as the crank is meant to be a life long part. That part is not allowed to break in a normal power range.

moving on with the comedy

“E” for dual range, “N” for 1.8L 4wd. There is no room for a space allowed. Found this comical.
                    given there 1.2 million of just the A chassis...and 20 more years gone by, to a 40 year history. The "one in a million" seems to come into play realistically. I could guess it is one in multimillion. All letters are still used today, the "E" was so rare they did not include it in vin code decipher documentation...and not used again.

if the market believed in the only stamp printed right side up.. this buggy would be hanging with a 250 gto for value.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 11, 2013, 04:50 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

cat burn in

on a roll today with the posts.
                      it occurred to me we just went through a long dry spell, no moisture, fire warnings daily..catalytic converter has had no rain.

I have never installed a new cat.
                      Driving in the drizzle I could smell a frying pan, and the exhaust got quiet at the driver side head. That is the shroud around fan to be smelling like that.

what the heck was that.

the moisture found another feedback to radiator. the cat gets the whole realm of static now, dry and wet.

I thought there was a burn in for those, do not know how that works, never done it, and know nobody that did.

I am ready to just fly across the country with this.

so now exhaust is down to the back gasket by muffler only.. leave header alone. A real appropriate outcome is sounding like no inline or other Subaru. the closest I have found is a worker of beetle engines who knew what they were doing. Almost like a pack of bees...no slams.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 11, 2013, 05:46 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

old and new

Someone told me I'd figure this out..it was a long time ago. Every time a Subaru gets hacked by a smart group worth mentioning, I pay attention to analyze it.

I am watching the brz with the big turbo. Crawfords version. Doubled hp, tripled torque.

awaiting the numbers, watching this vid, I automatically resort to the old and two valve SOHC (not the ea81), multiply it times two, to see how far the fairy dyno is today.

Seems they are right on the money.
                        the last sohc two valve peaked at 190bhp, 180 foot pounds. which is odd. Back then you tripled hp and only doubled torque. Most likely a dyno error there too. (for real).

so today that would be a 380, and 360 on a two valve modern measure. Makes sense to me, the four valve and 300 more cc. and modern fuel delivery, must be the extra 50. The last bit into 500 foot pounds. Not buying that at all.

I still think the two valve has it. The rest is market history.

as my own as a simple example. the 100hp is matched to a 180hp v6 or other common approaching 200. Double the old number if the ramp is right.. of course the ramp is everything from exhaust, to fuel, to ignition, and compression ratio.

I don't like getting saddened over the doubling numbers, I like to place it with a decode...as if encryption. Real world runtime simply reveals it. outcome for work done, could be race or top end like landspeed testing.

of course targetting the brz was easy, its the same weight within 100 pounds as the old A chassis, and the first n/a set to run lively since the ea82, (also "A" chassis). This makes the decoding a lot easier.

got the electromagnetic radiation detector, lo and behold..it works.

things like the pc monitor glass, and modem, does not set it off.. or little power cables.

As I approach the ups, I found the worst cable I have..the cable from wall outlet to UPS. Also my big a/c power cable sets it off.. but at a distance of 2 inches. The UPS cable is holy cow..must be a foot away.
                        I wonder if that is bad?

speaking of ramps to climb horsepower. this gadget is going to find the last of any oddity on the car. I am beyond guessing the normal sized plug wires are bordering useless on the accel ignition. given my test in the house, I'll give it at least 6 inch triggers for whatever I test. less than 6 inches trigger is ok, more than 6 is a little monster, depending on volts.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 13, 2013, 02:00 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

electromagnetic radiation detector

got the little gadget in the mail. The car had the largest aurora I have found, all normal.

Detect range: >=50uw/cm2

whatever that means.

tested this out on the car. All is normal, plug wires are quite nice. The big aurora is at the coolant reservoir and a forward strut bolt, both those are driver side, near the accel coil. it detects two precise paths about a foot away. the coolant reservoir and a strut bolt. Seems the radiation giveaway there plays with perpendiculars to the coil. the reservoir is an intentional placement no doubt. the water in the bottle steals it..just does not know what to do with it, gives it away again. Targetting things all over the house, the car had the most, the coil…but not the whole thing, its got a precise path. I wonder what a home made aluminum reservoir would do. Won’t overthink it. the strut bolt has the wind in the wheel well when car is moving, this must allow the coil to get bigger as the wind clears off the extra energy.
                          A neat thing to notice..the engine is like a chunk of granite. there is no detection setoff even while running.

finding what uW/cm2 is..
                          one millionth of 1 watt.
                          200uW/cm2 is the limit for people by common laws.

if this sets off at over a foot away, I wonder what the actual number is if to have an expensive detector.

24cm * 50 = 1200/1million = .0012w.
                          Not sure if that is a correct way to decipher that... safe anyway. A sign of too much radiation is heat, or sunburn. A simple example is welding in short sleeves. localize a burn with a fake sun. many watts there. I am not anywhere near that with problems.

I was using this to find x-ray or alpha beta gamma without car turned on. This setup is good anyway, wanted this gadget for my old setup. I have concluded, a real infection will stay in anything petroleum based. plastics, etc.
                          there is modern materials like hdpe, and ABS, they don't like the active materials, in fact, they don't let them radiate very far.
                          Another reason I scrapped the plastic side tank radiator. the water is very attractive to melt salts..and there is that cheap ass plastic to keep them. Real nuisance.

I still have my old 26 year radiator. nothing sets it off.
                          the old engine was simply physically bad.

the original radiation was the dual 12v into distributor, became a generator. Dangerous stuff. The accel 300+ keeping one wire active, the other fed into the trigger.. nice runtime. like it ought to be.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 13, 2013, 03:37 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

old license plate

As antique rules go, I can install a 1987 plate to go along with the year of the car.
                            I found this one today and chuckled.
                            I instantly thought "STI - twin turbo"..
                            the buggy as about that prophetic. the plate is 10 years older than any sti.
                            Attached Files
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

o to 60 update

I am basically puttering around, timing set back a couple of degrees. The cat and seams are coming together nice. a lot more muffler noise today. sound out the back. There really is an aging period . local makes it dramatic, cold ground. Alot of changes take alot longer.

nice weather, got after an ambitious start from a side road after it seemed to be full warm on the gauge..let off at 4500 in second. 5250 is 60mph.

I am beyond the best time of 60 in less than 7..and it sounds like its hardly doing anything. A little locomotive due to the timing settings. I like it no matter where the timing is. the boxer is amazing. Self cancel any setting in self balance. As long as one builds around a centered mentality.

I felt the doubled up sway bar bracket up front give a little kick. kept the engine centered. A new feel I have not encountered yet. Its like a rear wheel drive, except its all in front of you. Sway bar needs to do a lot of work.

The quarter mile and this time of year.. makes me itchy. I simply want a number written with a good ramp of all things together climbing nice.
                              I tried to find a dyno local, and do not trust it for my setup. (they have one for diesel trucks local).

The dig is almost as deep as a beetle done up nice, into the centered cam builds. Not many actually go there. I love it when they do.
                              No boxerish retard of 3 cylinders thumping an idiots wobble.

fuel hitting 11.2 at full warm.. there is another few degrees of timing to bring it into 12.5 AFR wide open. I am quite enthused...that is only going to bellow a little monster...although that offy lid and its shape is beautiful, may not make noise even when it should.

mini version of a racing realm. it is quite fun.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

one more exhaust chore

watching a supercharged subaru video where they changed exhaust pipes up front by the head, to gain torque through the whole curve..and graphed by dyno to prove it. The surprise was the flattening out and sustaining into higher rpms. I have one more chore left for this little buggy, and that is to take the little venturi squeeze out of the connection at both heads…thicken the pipe.
                                The thread ends after cutting pipe in half for two 3 inch lengths, will go up just beyond the new header flanges, into the head already predrilled round for a two inch fit. I have it sleeved right now, and it is still a monster. I thought the cat would alleviate the final exhaust chores, but it needs one more. this should do it. price is right. A very thick exit and 304 stainless on new thick flanges.

Not sure what I made for exhaust pressure, it is by far the most astounding fail of everything.

The more I have gone with this runtime, the more it is to understand the puny runt they gave to the world..it annihilates nearly everything normal standard.

this pipe should finish off the head exit.

$17.85
                                the two flanges, regular mild..as the engine owns it into a martian oxide (it turns bright oxide red), maybe 25 bucks. The stainless thick pipe will work some of its 304 during the weld as well.

rethinking and analyzing cost, I added labor at just ten bucks an hour... that has it towards ten grand. To subtract my own labor, it is about $4000.

another memory revival, years ago the ea82 was deciphered of course, this place and tiny was like handing a mcdonalds size cheeseburger to a sasquatch.

the intake for the spfi Subaru is sized up enough to go beyond 2 liters and sustain 280cfm..while heated. That theorized "problem" was ruled out.

34mm was used right into 2.5 liters.
                                So, all that aside, cams was next, those are now the modern (I really like them) , nice fat duration. no mistakes allowed in the belts.

I then went on to the carb, simply finding a 250-280.

the ignition errors came next, the boxer can take a very fast ramp. anything aftermarket, I found accel cheap on ebay. I like that a lot.

I then found velocity in exhaust was way way faster than a calc was not getting correct. that is where I am at, in my sixth year of beefing a little ea82.

this last step may even drop fuel by 5mpg or more. I deciphered the restriction to the average cat being a 200cfm. Subaru restricted the whole engine, possibly, to respect the new cat laws back then.

once beyond 300 or approaching it, that is where I needed the new cat.

this port at the head with the last tiny quick venturi into bigger pipe will be done away with. one might see how I can get excited over this. Even the math before running finds what needs to be done.

the time and money is another story..

the last piece, and it may be the biggest eye opener yet.

a quote from a porsche vid.

reaching the limit is one thing, staying there is another.

they got a smart bunch in marketing. the vid with active rear steer. My Subaru has been there for 26 years. The boxer does like that fancy stuff.

No baby cradle when your flat out.

maybe that is my quote of the day made by me.

edit:
                                slow going on the chores. this close to being done with it on a real level is anticipation. I noticed my Frankenstein weld in the back end gained camber.. I loosened up hanger demands on the crossmember for exhaust. Maybe it is plenty strong but I am going an all out day just for that one weld.

I put a T-square up onto the header leaving head, noticed it is facing forward and upside down. This is straight out of the head perpendicular exact. maybe I can cheat that some when welding. Another reason it needs big. The 3 inches will allow me to gain a .25 drop below power steering boot. I tucked a bit too tight. The gauge of the pipe coming should last this cars life.

unusual scenario, no instructions, and original design that tried to kill people. Fun, fun.

As learned in the other thread, the flush flange, no sleeve is where I am putting this. All my subes were fairly quiet , just dainty in the flanges. this will conquer that. I have it now with a sleeve, and restriction. Silly. I respected Subaru oem. This makes nothing left of origin after this is done. Some scabs of original header used as venturi'd merge. that is doing well, far distance away from heads. It is hard to believe that diameter did the whole header once upon a time.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 17, 2013, 11:26 AM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X