1987 subaru: dual range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam post

I have this in my blog and it takes forever to find it. At 1000 posts by now, will check up on that.

Another fact that left me running away from Subaru forums...revealing the cams for the ea series.

the spfi Subaru of the 80s has a cam as big as the stage four Crower cam for the ej series..

and you cannot just install it to the ej engine, it needs special springs, and warns of a lopy idle.

I know how tight the big cam gets, the belts have to be non stretch, or engine will blow.
    the mystery...

how does it idle that smooth?

retarded timing of course. This one at correct timing has the sputters, but they are gentle. (Three main is good for that)

so...
    the battle for this whole long duration (pun) really was exhaust/intake, external problems. the guts have been there the whole time. It does hit 9000 rpm.

This leads to my anticipation of actually mating a correct exhaust port to a nice mandrel header already installed. these last chores..such a tease.

ram engines has 140hp as their build, and that is a proven aviation integrity. I can go beyond that here on earth.

The daydream outrageous is to have the record written. The days are winding down to no dream at all.

spfi camshaft

with all retards removed, the exhuats port is the last step. You can laugh if you want..but I do have 16 years for real, every year for 16 years..my daily car. go get food, all the chores.

I had an event with an spfi engine, and I do not like to mention it..this day and age of electrons in control being a sensitive subject. I knew when this was mechanical again, I could open it.

almost done.. should be about less than a week.

I'll joke to call this a
    ".8626mm more than before"
    and that of course follows rules of a restore more than a restomod. Still call it an old sube.

another sad secret revealed was the hp numbers written for north America.
    overseas they had the turbo at 133hp, and the n/a was the 115. In America, somehow the n/a was 90hp, and the turbo was 115.

more strange than that.. north America got no small versions of the ea82, yet I had more than one. The engine I have in this thread is the biggest one they "never" made (sarcasm). So, you can see how a company can step up and gain just 7hp to fly it in little aircraft. they are not even straining them.

my theory...don't stop until it is 160hp and foot pounds squared up. It may need a custom intake, might not. hardly far fetched.
    just the ramp to max an hp rpm was impossible the way it was. Fixing that was quite a leap, tiny carbed and cammed back when I began.

pre ordered some flanges, perfect fit. I noticed a little grove where the gasket sits in, and pipe is meant to be flush or just below for inside welding (won't see the welds outside) this allows a taper from head into pipe. Nice and thick.

should have that in mid week coming up. I look forward to timing back, and a real flow. It is so very nice to drive around.

get a listen to this one. I judge by cams, that one is close to my own...except, I bee buzz all four in perfect timing. the little wah wah on the throttle is the ramp on big cams. Porsche does the same thing when the lines of grandma is crossed.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 18, 2013, 11:54 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

history mystery

another one of my blog posts revived.

I could not figure why a VIN code would be silented in the books for history keeping..and still don’t.
      That left me on my own with a chassis fast enough to take in lightning. The same engine in the same model car sitting next to it..will not be as fast.

I then remembered the camaro. GM was sneaky too. It is more than obvious subaru replicated GMs means of going about auto building. Subarus origin loved a gm small block like math. Big bore and little stroke.

I like what I found in this one, the steel is different, very tough up front, may not need anything for another quarter century. the back end needed help..and that’s the fault in the build. the sedan and coupe had support for the type of rear end in my wagon. It is ok, I like welding.

the sight of a racing stance in a wagon, jap sized being small..it is comical. My own physical size did not take well to the sedan. I needed a window down all the time. Claustrophobic. the wagon is ok to have windows up, vents work stronger as well. No matter what they did with that particular build.. there is some good to keep. I do know its rare.

The “E” code unwritten (11th digit in the VIN). Could be anything. most often a unique tranny from what I can decipher. The RX got the fanciest version. I learned the wagon was used by japanese gov’t for their forestry service. today they call a subaru version a forester, but it is nothing special. They even tried to make a hot rod version. I am startled to look at it , let alone drive.

it would have been easier for the public, if they called something RS or SS, or GT. they did later on, but the 80s have some mystery.. like an old camaro. Yet another reason I share at a hot rod forum. It reminds me of the 302dz found in the z28.

3.64 in the bore, 2.65 in the stroke. sounds crazy as it sounds.. the 302 was that freakish. Like GM, they lied about hp numbers…and stood their ground if to inquire.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

history mystery cont...

the other mystery for me was getting hauled off by an ambulance. I could even taste the monojets dichromate. ..and that catalytic converter had an aurora.
        I then gained symptoms of the same ill again, now a new cat, car is apleasure to drive... and for the heck of it..
        I checked the back of the bag of my favorite stir fry veggies in the freezer.
        product of Thailand, China and Missouri. WTF?
        how did they gat that all in one bag and claim fresh?

As it turns out I have a reaction to some tofu looking veggie strand shaped like a fat flat spaghetti. No more gookster food for me. I thought to check after timing in the health event to exactly my stir fry.. some hours later. The finale was finding china in the news is having big problems keeping some foods healthy.

So, it was not the car. The dichromate on the carb is annoying but easy to get over...small amounts on this old one.

A tip for the drain or area one may have cleaned an old Rochester.. baking soda. Give it a day diluted. wow. No sign at all. I have a stainless sink and some drain pipe, it really tried to get a bond going.. a stinker.

anyway. my desire to make my own bread for the first time ever (I am 40) was the baking powder/soda. we all know what is good for us, even if we cannot explain it. The aurora that became the final for my self sustaining was indeed the exhaust of the car screaming a blow torch through the cat. As if to be a radiological thief...that damn tofu looking stuff must have been in my gut.

feeling great right now, have some biscuits cooking. A slight numbness remains in the finger tips, but goes away as I keep working.. could be dough, steel, welder, hammer, keyboard with my two finger sasquatch typing skills. as long as I keep hands busy.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 19, 2013, 10:44 AM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

staying motivated

I was looking at a fascinating story of rocket science. it does not mean genius to find a way to measure..

that is simply a lot of hard work.

like finding the float point for a progressive vacuum to function a carb. One does not just find it..one has to earn it by trial and error, then implement.

my fear of very smart is non existent.

when something is too smart to call the past, it is the future. when it is extremely correct, a person can narrate the outrageous and get away with it..because it will happen.

In times of my most intense pain, there is a screaming frequency. I know it is the tf33 and an old whistling 707 airframe. Humanity is young with flight, and cars and bouncing electrons off brain cells...

I predict the 3 main will be back. four valves deemed useless..fuel air on a non-pulsed draft, indirectly controlled by digital ignition and other thermal gadgets on the coolant side. A singular source, robust, for air fuel. Carbs left off conservative. I am impressed with one of the worlds biggest barrels for us normal people and normal cars. they did not go much past the 40s mm. I did find some 50 something, but..use of a cam tricked the old way of draft venturi. A slob.

for carbs, many measure the throttle to boast how big. it is only part of it. I am running a 1.25 inch venturi. That is very big.. and it still sustains 20inches on 1781cc. Rochester knew what they were doing..it is definitely a rocket science. I did have to add a damper, way above the choke plate for slow speeds and warm up.. but gm did that too, all through the 70s and 80s. They just never gave the big carb to actually use it like I have to.. fuel crunch. It is as if a map of a real plan never got fulfilled...like the missing beams drawn on the floor pan and never installed.

Two worlds are going to meet, I am forcing some things now, and it is really nice.

the two speed powerglide is 200 years ahead...
          tires are just catching up in the past decade to a 90hp boxer.

I stay motivated. ..as if to be dreaming. I had to get real sickened first, to know how big life is. The righteous and ailing leave good things behind...for years to come.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 19, 2013, 10:10 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

little head big exhaust

tried the flange on an old head. Excellent..there is a little bit of reaming to do, but that is as close as I have gotten for this one. the gasket on top of flange is a turbo gasket, meant for high heat pressures. Awaiting the pipe that fits the flange, that is a thick stainless piece. the cost for this one chore is now at $40
            13 for flanges, 17 for pipe, 10 for the gaskets.

total cost of header is now at 200 something. All this time, all I did was delay a similar cost.. for the wrong header. Well worth it to have a correct one, stainless..heavy duty and balanced..

only being familiar with horned instruments after running a Subaru. this one is going to get a little more bassy, but no v8 thump. A giant bumble bee. As long as it is pleasant. One thing I can never stop admiring is zero counterbalance twack , (the real annoying sound that goes with rice). this car has none. It is a modern Porsche six minus two cylinders... attractive to look at the source of noise.

for now delayed for an unknown time. A pause with sun today, more rain coming. I'll just have to wait. The last chore.

timing ahead a little bit. Good to go. I can feel that damper close. It is a good thing I went giant on vacuum diaghram size. with exhaust open it should need a few more degrees. I did learn now, the exhaust is the biggest retarder on the ea82. looking forward to opening.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 20, 2013, 04:45 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

exhaust - cont

it seems that pipe may have been kifed. It was pricy, and stainless.. and the state it is missing in is still chock full of 1940s radiators running 240F steam.

I may be overthinking..but, there is a reason people like me run away from their home state.

Ironically , the exhaust is getting quite loud at the head. I don't even want to drive.
              I have not heard this closed quiet and gentle since 2008..had no clue it was too small. I just kept respecting what was given.
              crackly snaps faded away once warm, but the pressure leak was still there.

Hello b,

we are checking,, if it is gone.... good luck......

no... just kidding... we will get you another in the mail. :-)

we will check this out and get it resolved asap...

apology for the joke,,, we know the frustration when buying online....

all our best

apologies for the inconvience.

joe

funny funny people out there.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 21, 2013, 05:03 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

comparing to a porsche

I have to drive a Porsche some day.. just once. I would need to go two states away to find one.

I of course look to the kings of water cooled boxer..but they have two more cylinders. Close enough to get a lot of facts straight. I was watching a review of the AWD 911 4s by subaruwrxfan on you tube. Some of the words he used struck a note. Even porsche wanted to maintain progressive, lay on the big power when it can.

A boxer does not curve a throttle like the others. I learned it the hard way. When the bullshit stops talking, and work is walking..the boxer needs a little more think. It can really lay it on if you let it…that means breaking things unnecessarily. That is the segregation of boxer driven indeed.

Listening to the sounds of throttle on and off, a peculiar damper valve noise opening and closing. That is where my ea82 is..a peculiar thump off throttle. The damper is owning the big air. I can only guess porsche plays at the valves, being variable. Without instruction, I ought to feel good. I timed in the injection cams, with a carb hovering in the middle of two plenums mathed by trial and error, instead of an injection at the heads.

The exhaust piece is on its way again, but taking its time. I was hoping to have that all in today..but what is one day of 26 years. The progressive thump is going to be a little more pronounced, as increasing the cfm at exhaust port is a gain at all rpm, idle to limiter.

No clue on power numbers to this day. This got nerdy enough to forget it entirely. I started with one number: 280cfm. And that is where it is at. Nothing factory sustained half that number. I changed nearly every externally mounted piece on the engine to keep up...while looking like factory. Not twice as big..no engine does to doubling CFM, unless boosted.. but it is a noticable thing for sure.

it is fast enough to just feel the front end come up and hover, look straight ahead..catch out of the corner of your eye 5300 rpm in second, and know you are at 60mph..in less than 7 seconds. My American goal is met, and it is going to go a little further.

There is one more concern, but damper and timing should own it. 91 octane is barely enough, opening the port is either going to let some compression go and be a helper, or its going to get worse. That is the only anticipation left, and easily tunable.

one thing I am very pleased with is the digital ignition. a process that took days on the boxer is now in minutes. A strange thing it used to do when changing timing...took forever to realize it is in a different place. The crystal oscillator in the ign box really kicks that stubbornness out. I love it.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 22, 2013, 12:49 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

25 hours of le suby

I joke of the trip.. only to repeat one I already took, a little sube.
                  1536 miles, 25 hours.

There are a few things to be a lot bigger today, the tire ratings sustaining into a 600 mile gas tank drain, no stops. the 13 inch original needed a break every couple hundred. Could not do that 600 all at once, with the previous version, little 2wd..25 hours.

I wonder if I could add 475miles to that.. make it an even 2000 miles in 25hours.

80mph average. Doubt it. I looked up cross country rides, 70s mph average is indeed a record. that is not easy, seriously.

getting to near 60 in new England for a long day of 650 miles is quite a feat. that was long runs of 80 even on maines northern highway.

maybe get it to 1800..or sarcasm, 1781 miles in 25 hours.

my dad picks me up in these thoughts, he does that every week...for years.

the exhaust piece is local, should be here tomorrow.

I look to Porsche, vw..even ram engines, they make Subaru engines fly.

my real contentment with this little ea82.. is seeing gm type math, two big valves, higher compression, big bore and little stroke. Feedback extremely thought out. An engine don't move if it can't move it.
                  I just watched a video by jay leno, he has the very first ZR1. Still my dreams.
                  I left a comment, as today, the gt-r fanboys don't even know they are mentally retarded yet. they seem to bombard every video with a performance car in it.

anyone can cram a turbo through a bad angled engine..gm used the same overall math for half a century to be within 10hp of the worlds greatest. Silly kids. Something done right, is something done just once.
                  just like a 3 main boxer.
                  coincidentally, gm has the only benz crank flat six..as runted as they left it, it has the heart of the biggest boxer in the world.

I know I lost 90% of the internet, on my own, my own language, my own builds. I have worked into frequencies that stop tachs and speedometers from being correct, all while they are not broken.

an analogy I came up with. I make coffee in a pan (I got sickened by a closed coffee maker- I don't trust it). Anyway.. you pour the hot water from the pan, into the filter holding the coffee, which is sitting latched to the top of the pan. Let it go back to the pan, the water darkens. Maintaining temperature is critical. Boiling swells the filter, the water won't go through it. Keep pouring, one cup at a time, heat just right, until it the mix is where I want it.

remove filter for the finale, pick up the pan to pour it into a kettle..no funnel and pouring from a pan needs just the right angle, and placement..as it empties it gets lighter, less strength needed or the pan will rise up from the kettle to make a mistake...back off the arm strength needed to stay close to the kettle..keep the right angle...it can pour faster now, as the curve of the edge of the pan holds less volume easier, tip the pan up..

the last 25% of the pour is wide open...pan perpendicular, utilizing the curve of the edge.

That is an engine, in both directions.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 23, 2013, 11:34 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

head pipe part 2

thickest stainless I have ever seen..until a 550 caterpillar with an expensive extra.

This will need a grinding at the threads by a small amount. I was expecting it to fit inside the flange, as the flange is 2.125 inches, but as it turns out the pipe is still bigger by a small amount. This is nice, as the opening will be maximized. This is a closer view of the old head as well. Both plugs were blown out, one hole still has the sleeve.
                    off to the garage sooner than later. I opted to do an inside weld, the flange and pipe. you will not be able to see it form the outside. This leaves room for the stud nuts to spin with a socket on. if not, the torque number for these is so low, the stud kits ship with brass nuts, so a wrench is not exactly difficult , if a socket cannot fit.

My delicate Subaru of dainty happiness.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 23, 2013, 01:03 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

ions

interesting subject. Nasa is making an engine run with an active ion for a space project.
                      according to wikipedia, the state at which ions are demanding to satisfy the lack of electron or proton is a gas state..on earth it is the short time in lightning, plasmas, electrical sparks.

All engines have this state. Ever have an engine that runs better with pipes that are straining? Be it the intake side or exhaust? It is using the ion charge to make itself run better with physics beyond our primitive four stroke timing with a shot of air fuel...

This could be my fascination with the boxer..and a few other engines in my past. The cylinders are sideways and can recycle to the point of ion charge..then spit itself out. I can only guess it is demanding negative.

A funny way to know you are on this subject in a common way… cathode to anode. Electroplating is something we do to see a result. Ion activity can simply be an energy moving like a thrust. Fun stuff.
                      The opposite of ion activity is the collisions…which is funny, every action has a reaction indeed.

Even with the nerd stuff known... the relation to cars is simple, and not many have words for it.

I am opening the exhaust to calm that charge, but the mystery is.. will it just make a bigger one? I conclude yes, but casually.. this includes decibels. Alot of engines, 70s and 80s..the cams were so small, opening exhaust killed it. This one does not have that design anymore, not many engines do. Looking forward to just getting it done. We got the pipeline of rain for some time now, waiting it out.

the last details were thinking of other locations, thermal.. better fuel. maine stops at 91. even today, you get into mid atlantic states or even sooner..93octane etc.
                      this one is all setup for the crosscountry daydream. I was watching a top gear with the gt2, and it did not dish out max power. the answer ended up being the pavement in the desert sun was reading 161F. holy crap.
                      This one up front does not care, but that is another extra for a boxer to think about. The ions game can even help it there too..
                      the turning point in history for all cars was the increase of duration in the cams, not injection as most might believe...hence exhaust games more than ever today.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 24, 2013, 07:06 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

finding others

I am bold enough to offer this up for two or three of the same engine Subaru.
                        I found 4 in one spot..
                        acton mass.
                        I may go hunt down the E code GL sitting there for $100..

A loyale 2wd 5speed (this is the ten seconds in disguise) 93k miles. Worth less, 21 spline tranny.. crazy fast once the down syndrome worshipping is done away with.

I said crazy.

...and the other two are 4wd.

I'd swap this one for two or three.

I hate the abysmal feeling with a project going rare. I want to drive with no worries.

I would poop to find a 1987 dual range rotting away...

browsing you tube for the ea82 Subaru finds some once and awhile. I have yet to hear one running all four..
                        and the backwards misconception of the ea82 turbo with its 3 degree cams portrayed as fast just puts a pit in my stomach.

it does remind me, where I began. Extremely humble. the contrast today..
                        just looking at the 13 inch wheels in the shed makes me laugh. I would literally bust something if to try again.

some hints of bangshifty hoonage, I may spark up the studded 13s in the dark.. all four of them at the same time.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 25, 2013, 12:05 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

cat update

I wanted to post every detail of the change of high flow cat along the way.
                          Not many go through with it.. old carb engine.

A process I'll remember next time with a new cat..

spray engine down with moisture, maybe while running just after a new cat. The rotten egg small gave a quick puff today.. went away. we've had a lot of rain.

engine is suddenly bigger than ever, after that puff of an odor.

there is two sections, about 8 inches long.. original diameter, I used that as a merge to squeeze a fast venturi into the cat and by o2 sensor. It must be those old pipes settling in, needed moisture. Now the new cat carries it with a new bonded layer. A reason for keeping a section of the original.. they are extremely tough.. I mean freakish. Takes a welder on high settings, and go slow to get it welded. Very tough. I am glad to have used some, no regrets.

Quite a magic trick, a catalyzer of any kind in any process.

I still do not have the 304 head exits installed yet, tomorrow is sun and 60..maybe get it in the afternoon. the new 304 is the biggest pieces of the exhaust, right where it is needed at the heads for a few inches...from there it is still 304 for.. more than a foot, then off to regular, then back to the remains of the original for a short y-merge, then off to regular 1/8th inch from a cat diesel engine for a collector, then to stainless cat.

alot of stainless.

so in short, a new cat can take old pipe in front of it. If stainless and old, that is forever I presume...but the old iron can stay put if to go new cat.

edit:
                          midnight start, something repulsive in the air. the drains in the street must be over run in the ground. Nastiest cold start ever.. feathering throttle to just back out of its sunken spot. Real bitch. Too warm for that.. what was going on.. the damper is working.

I blew the last engine in may.. this was it. The street it is parked on attacked it. Adding the cat, and the big header should do it nice. I did get going, after backing out of the middle of the road stuck in four low. this car has four wheels locked up in 4x4 mode, so I am sitting there like a retarded dinosaur, feathering an impossibly stenched runtime and stuck in 4x4 mode in the middle of the street.

it is funny now...after shutting down, it occurred to me I am the only dumbass making noise in the strangely quiet neighborhood.

it took some minutes to get a real runtime...and a mistake I am making is fuel way down to a gallon or so, I want to drop the tank on next welding chores to finish rear end.

I will be getting those header pieces in if it means thrashing in some mud. The last time that flunking midget does something stupid...

yet another edit:
                          I bent the choke linkage. That was the bad start. blah.
                          without fail, everytime I remove the top of the float bowl. The oddity with this strange odor, the damper helps, and idling. Not sure what it is.. but it is at street level. grotesque. Sulfuric shit of some kind.
                          When I first came here, there were times it would not even start.. the air fuel was too small to get through pollution.

I still feel good about it, now it starts with choke not even setting in right...and shit flying in the air.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 26, 2013, 10:04 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

header ends installed

will grab photo. robust for the little sube, nice thick gauge. Not a single inkling of any leaks.. I am very happy.

just under two inch o.d., the new pipe is just over 2 inch I.D., big difference. ..and I actually had to wonder what the problem was? It gets even smaller inside the pipe, I was using subaru original ends. As you can see the flanges are mutilated. 26 years old.
                            I have not had a sealed header for an ea82 in 7 years. the spell before the loyale was also seven years..no sealed header. I go back to the 90s with the ever hissing subaru. I liked that loyale, it held a header…but it was the 84hp engine.
                            The ride home dialed in rather quickly, a lot quicker than I am used to. The ea82 header is a big equation in something it is doing under there. Changing something at the header is typically big drama. The highway was easy going..looking forward to a long ride.I need a whole lot more brake now, letting off the throttle, the engine is free flowing. To feel the heat of a tight seal is miraculous at this point, right at the heads. perfection. Nice and heavy piping. the odd note is no crackles letting off throttle..not a single pop noise. Sounds like a plane in a nose dive. Being a one of none, I could call this the zero.

away it goes.
                            some blurry shots of the install

passenger side

driver side. looks worse than it isn’t. my camera tends to be an ass around welds. No weld is visible at the flange, I carefully welded it from the inside. this was a trick by subaru as well. As heat has its way, the inside welds curl flange upward to make gasket tighter. Even with the weld, it matches head exit size closely. A lot more open than previous ends.
                            old header end from the bottom.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 27, 2013, 05:55 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

followup- header ends.

this is precise welds, they head for 1500F, or the altering point of dimpling regular steel. I knew to check it today.

The real test for welds is the 12-24 hour mark, done densifying, or deflating. Just what the doctor ordered for this one. Cold start, to warm. A big hint of robust with less throttle. amazing to hear from such a tiny engine. This was indeed much larger than not even I let myself believe. One would hear this car coming, and know it is not in the typical 10000cfm twacky ricer. Very intriguing sound. The crackling I thought was an exhaust leak, is right at the o2 sensor..and I am the only one that hears it. there is no pops on throttle let down..this tells me, if it does it again, to search for exhaust leaks. Beautiful as of now. I had my dad standing in back and to the sides as I gave it throttle. He chuckled in a way I don’t hear often..and asked to go for a ride. that was yesterday, just after welding. Burping air fuel changes, flux gas.
                              Today, from cold start into full warm. Wow. I also got underneath and got real close to seams, a normal routine, with my fingers. Nothing. perfectly sealed..and casual too. A sense of longevity to go with it. Why did I take this long for the exhaust math at the heads? It was actually internet advice 6 years ago..and the rest is history. This is all american. I can say common sense and mean it..
                              I of course apply science to this to lose people who do not think.. call it a defense. Just kidding.. almost.

amazing video on catalyst grade materials (they are all noble metals)

if I could hand the header ends to someone that would listen.. I 'd tell them there is noble dust embedded.

I'd swear some of them are deep enough to see time. I won't say how, you'd think I was crazy.
                              in relation to this post, one of the reasons for the larger header calming a volume..is to kill the hammer that makes a catalyst hotter. amazing trait about the noble metals.

This project actually had to have a header for the volume the cam times in to keep and let go, very basic.. but I identified another reason for proper enlarged header via this video.

in defense of big pipes on big engines. the same engine in the 60s with a 2 inch pipe..to try today with a cat and modern rules, all the pipes need to be bigger. that is not an act of an ape with his hot rod, to see and hear the big pipes. They have to , to stay safe.

Another note is about welding. I checked my auto-dim helmet twice for the #9 on the dial, thinking I had it set too low. The stainless at 1/8th inch is the brightest weld I have ever done. A brilliant white star. Very nice metal. I’ll bump the mask up to #10 or 11 next time.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 28, 2013, 06:21 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

density of stainless 304

I was hoping to find pounds per square inch but found some strange number instead.

typical steel is 7.7 to 7.8 g/cm3 or .27 pounds per cubic inch

stainless steel is 8.03 g/cm3 or .29 pounds per cubic inch.

I was hoping I would find it like steel rails, trucks get 110k to 115k psi and japan keeps killing us with 30k, are just two examples.

Either way, the extremely bright weld once puddled to connect some pieces is explained. I also took note the workload seems effortless if to get my face right underneath while car running. That is a first for this upside down angled forward boxer engine exhaust. The pressure is astounding once the effeminate Subaru forum gang members advice is shewed aside, and real men with Subaru engines can go about their lives.

real boxers need a real exhaust. 304 at 1/8th inch thick. this would mean for a cubic inch at that thickness would be 7/8ths square, 1/8th thick? equals .29 of a pound. that is incredible.

As far as I could find, weight per cubic inch, stainless is the heaviest, most dense. there is a 316 weighing in a tiny bit more than 304.. but that is every cubic inch, just add 6 inches.. difference adds up fast.

I gave just what this engine demanded...it only took six years.

Stainless steels are the most dense, coming in at 8000 kg/m3. Though the densities vary, the density of steel is about 7700 kg/m3. The density of steel are measured in g/cm3, kg/m3, kg/L and lb/f3, with kg/m3 being the more commonly used measurement. A good way to remember the density of steel is to remember that titanium has about half the density of steel and aluminum is about one-third. If you can remember that, then you know what you're doing!
                                some amazing tidbits..
                                I thought the front tires were losing air, by appearance. I felt a quick blip in the steering, this rack self adjusts...like I put a lowering kit in the suspension.
                                holy crap.

the pressure was so high on the original header the front end sat up bowlegged like a bulldog.

looks more like a little trans am racing car with its cheap front air dam, more than ever. I actually modeled that after a 60s camaro..with no angle. I need to smash things with it. the tires are as tight as a bimmer. Now flat footed. good thing it has a new ps pump.. I'd be breaking the old one again right now. I needed a whole lot more brake coming off a highway ramp. Tires must have found a flat path, nice and smooth, less angle on the axles.

this also explains the pipe burn, it was indeed a blow torch..and the rear end welds gone to outrageous, the gas tank mysteriously breaking a seam in a safe place..
                                6 struts in the back since I have owned it.

I also set the high idle down to 1500-2k. I can treat it like an old Lycoming now. 2k rpm for the warm ups, wait for oil pressure to come down to 65psi.

on and on and on.

japan once said don't wake the sleeping giant. They ought to learn, you cannot put one to sleep.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 28, 2013, 11:13 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X