1987 subaru: dual range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 miles, my engine
    another 70 miles or so today. Went to my foot doctors office.

I am almost in disbelief myself. this thing is in for the long haul.
    Feeling the engine out, learning traits. the barrel condenses even on a summer day like today. More than half the intake stays cool to the touch. Oil pressure fuel mileage, consumption... right on the money.

I am going to do something special with this one.

post #1354
    got it past the thousand miles. running very good. Fancy oil pump seal seated nicely.. uses no oil or coolant. I can work the fuel to be 30mpg or 20 mpg.. all with the long throttle of the monojet and my foot. the twolittle holes in the hood scoop are in action. I am glad it liked that.

paused in the woods..traffic jam on howland. As the idiots had it. they crammed a roundabout, full circle.. locking the whole stop go thing. retarded. Being ripped up pavement bright sun.. it was warm with the trucks and hot stuff waiting to be laid down. subaru did great. another test passed.

on the to do list, this quarter made it to ten years. I replaced it 10.5 years ago.

A tab in the rear end work to be welded..and good to go. It gets away with a lot when it is fixed my way. I do not even notice this, full speed ahead. This is the pretension I thought I had to respect. I can still do so.. but the weld will be assymetry to the right side. I can live with it. Just going to go tough on it. This also means a hitch to tug at a small trailer is possible. It is freakishly ten times or more stronger than subaru OEM. The entire back end as a whole. Quarters are nothing. I understand how they got away with cheap tin there. The rest of the car simply needs to be strong.

Posted by boxer3main at 4:03 PM

cold wet barrel in the summer sun.

my subaru knows its coming..

my subaru, it likes this song today.
    I think it sees the eclipse. The cold barrel is an october/ november routine.

speaking of 1980s noise..
    I went on a microphone buying spree.
    I think I am up to 53 cents for a dozen.
    just kidding...but they are cheap.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1169275

I remembered my favorite microphone.
    48khz stereo in an mpeg2 panasonic camera. Click image for larger version

Name:	tallmic.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1169276

I remembered it needs two rings to work for pc and cameras external..
    and that is somewhat a fake stereo, but worth a try.
    this one above will most likely be taped to my dslr. not taking much room, and can get to other ports.

I got my first mic yesterday, and it fixed my dslr, it was indeed blown.
    just for voice but no mention of stereo. Still filtered nicely, and can use it anywhere.

so now I have these two stereo versions to experiment with on the way.
    I also have one microphone in my pc for the first time in about 12 years. I want to start talking for free to family again.

I have yet to record my subaru properly. I'll keep trying.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 4, 2017, 07:57 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• mtod show - 718

new show today, it makes the 718 even better, with facts.
      ignition: 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S: Better Than Ever, But What’s That Sound?

I like it defending the boxer 4, and that porsche is letting it run.

I am still cruising in the old subaru, slow speeds now dialed in. Hardly a drone noise, but you know it is different.
      it really reminds me of some of the gentle 6 cyls I have run.. with the same carb.

I still have a good effort in the to do list, I want this subaru written.
      dyno, track whatever.
      I may even get some fun stuff done before autumn.
      I am only delayed by garage time.

this buggy is the kind of car that creeps up on flowing traffic.. even with a gentle timing curve it wants to climb.
      A lot of things to like.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• at the garage

the beginning of today , I killed my xeon motheroboard and ordered a much better one by Asus.
        ..I then get an order from the master sargent to feed the cats 36 miles away.

So, unexpected, got the garage for plenty of time to finish the subaru.
        it is running in a way I did not fathom for this big motor build...big for an ea82 anyway.
        Every version of my own doing has had a curve and sound unlike any other.. thisoneis a great finale on the natural draft years.

I look forward to along run, with the real vent open bringing air in like the old cars some of us remember..straight shot.
        smells good, runs good.. tall geared and 30mpg.
        making it scream seems a waste of time, but it is an option to make some noise. The way this digs in at all rpms is just astounding.
        No need to panic throttle EVER.

saw some perseids already, got my camera.. will get some shots of work all done...and maybe the meteors in the sky.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• journal post 1355

day 1 of the weekend welds.
          sky cleared out, got 8 hours my way.
          I have certainly aged with this old subaru. there is a transition from age 33 to 44 for sure. Hardly depressed.
          just keep on trucking on.. a little bit slower.
          meanwhile the little subaru is bigger than never.
          headed for 60 pounds of mig weld...
          I know not to seal in the quarters.. I just go solid seam, let imperfections win the old loss. this needs air and moisture across the stainless.
          the right side has been stainless for 2 years.. some kinda self building miracle going on over on that side. the left one needed it too.

this buggy also worships the left rear for some kind of completion in grounding and looping... very tight midget tin can. Stainless does it good.

click on photos for bigger photo
          got the stainless rear quarter in, the tab for the rear left ... and the seat latch needed some weld too.

tomorrow is right side wheel well look over, and rocker panel..check floors up front by A-pillar. Running better than ever. I found the rust culprit was 4 inches inbetween layers the caulking that nearly destroyed this car. Should be the last of it.

this is all that is left of the 4x10 foot sheet of stainless. Subaru got most of it.. butmy truck also got a good chunk for custom rockers as well.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 12, 2017, 05:03 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• post 1356
            day 2 welding

examined the right side wheel well.. I made a point in the front, called it a beak. Not sure what year that was.. still exactly where I left it. I also left it crude back then.. going for structure, not caring about channel cover. Woriried about inspection, next meal, place to live..and the car from hell that was going to take me there.

I gave it a bracket welded and some metal tape.. call that good.

I tend to avoid the rain, as this car is an idiot in every way.
            I also tucked the right rocker, solid seam at the front. There is some small floor patches, may get them tomorrow.. might not.

I can hop in and go anywhere as of now. This car has the slow wipers by factory, 85-87. It is also missing a relay for the horn. Very plain jane and negligent subaru... by subaru themself.
            after deciphering the ridiculous relay looping..there is still two missing for horn and wipers.

I could do the extras, I do have time.
            Keeping it for exactly how retarded it was, and is... priceless.
            the engine is twice over origin, and so are the tires.. those are safety items. That old stuff had to go.

other than that, it is exactly where it came from. Getting nervous int he cold, or rain, or even wind.. it does reel in a time, a fat guy and a pickup truck doesn't have to think much of.

until next time..
            I'll post the journey when the time comes. I have a plan to go on a 700 mile run with it.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• day 2 welding, part 2

meanwhile, I took it for a run down the infamous route 1, south from hampden maine . I veered off to take rte 27 into augusta, then the highway home. Seemed very pigged up and loaded..and remembered. Welding owns a few functions, including atmosphere. So, I am taking it easy at my 3500 rpm.. I really do not know what that speed is, but i keep up with traffic there. Getting through construction, and a flick of high beams, rudely, and a black subaru forestor with a saggy butt goes by...
              and then I realized it was hammering down. curiosity got to me, I have never gone high speed with the new motor. 4000 rpm is about the end of its world. I can hear the front pipe roof rack howling like a bass voiced coyote. Seeing the forestors lights getting closer.. I was satisfied, and backed off.

4000 is supposedly over 100mph.. be it I welded a super smoothy, I may have fooled myself. did not feel like 100+... but who knows. I guess i did not gain with this bigger motor, maybe stamina, like on a hill. I have to do that more often.. get the carb whistling with a cold draft hitting the holes at the hood scoop. Like steel, these motors and carbs have a memory, as long as you set the pace. It does not forget.
              pulling back in, I left car running to get some outside lights on, unlock the door.
              idle is as big as I have never heard. Gotta feed this little monster some WOT on a highway once and awhile.
              that is something I remember about all my rochestors.

edit:
              I guess it is right at 99mph. Won't go any further for the weight, the rack screaming right at the front of the roof..and it pings on 87 octane.
              To go the 30moremph for the daydream of the lanspeed g class..
              seems a big order as of now.
              taking the welder and spare tire, the other stuff.. maybe 150 pounds. Does not seem as though that would gain 30mph.

maybe a 2 barrel is a possibility..

I am in augusta, sitting at a quiet gas station.. pulling out as a white subaru wrx, little hood scoop goes scooting on by.. a cop with lights on pulls him over as I exit.
              the only two cars there, plus a cop car.. usually a busy place in the daytime.
              Going antique has its protections. I had just passed thru, and saw the cop cars in a lot. This one is just loud enough to second guess everywhere I go.
              I am only assuming that is why the white subaru got pulled over. Had the infamous feisty sound.

for now, my math is good, my weld is good, my tires are good.. its just good.

to summarize this for anyone that wanted to take on the 85-87.. well, I'd say never.
              I have conquered this toxic pig, and it is down to normal expectations upon welding cars.
              Even the vent is wide open now..gets real air like the old pre 80s cars.

health notes from the journal.
              s for health this time on the welds.. it is narrowed down to overheating some rubber bushings. Vulcanizing odors.. like hot brakes on a kc135. I learned to treat myself as if burned. Today I used emergency burn treatment, basically aloe with some additives. Hits the spot.. both my arms.

No more death odors, strange fuel.. hydrocarbons. Plain old steel with a whiff of stianless taking over with a vengeance. Buggy has been good that way for some time now. No more weird steel stories.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 13, 2017, 10:18 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• met a neighbor

my dads neighbor across the street comes over with a beer.
                He has seen me come and go with this subaru for quite some time.

going on 11 years..

He must have been 12 years old when I first showed up and threw things around the driveway and cussed and swore and hammered things.
                now old enough to drink a beer...talk of his car history.

feeling kinda old.
                it was his little rice car with an open pipe that inspired me to put a better muffler on the subaru.
                I used to hear it all the time.

it seemed I went way over his head, talking motors injection, computing..old carbs.

We got talking of racing, and I said 1993 was my first and last time.
                he said..
                that is the year i was born.

damn. I am getting old.

tightened the carb down, looked things over...
                got to be weary of top speed runs until some locktite on the carb bolts.
                it was screaming a 13.9AFR at 4k for 99 mph. I wonder if that is red pipes in the rice.
                I noticed it was smelling piggish afterwards, idle showing a bit lean.

the rochester knows how to keep going, even if a little loose.
                it is almost as old as me.

thousands of times..heading past orono maine to the north, the lights are suddenly gone.. it is me, the bright stars.. and the home made subaru with ultrabright LED. From outer space, northern maine is like a mini north korea. nothing but darkness, canda is lit, bangor maine and south is lit.. toronto to the west.

Me? I am in the dark.
                When I build. It is life and death, like the military crew chief I was,it is never past tense completely.

I don't have kids, support of any kind, no marriage..
                I casually reminded myself I built this whole damn thing.

No replacements for fabrication. No repairing for extinct.

..and I head into the alton woods at the 70mph I have been sustaining for 3 decades.
                30 miles north of the city, after the 90mph highway...
                the subaru is still may favorite, realistically.

I do not like to admit it, as these cars to me, they are all assholes by factory.

a quick run to harbor freight..thinking of carb bolts, and deep sockets.
                it kicked out the weld today, sometimes an earthquake, sometimes a mystery relay kicker and a thud...back to running, like i just passed through the bermuda triangle. It is predicable now, being 20 years with this chassis. Always a day or two after welds.

this is the time to check for imperfections.. it simply means it is part of the system. This one is taking on my stance, my work. that contenetment where you know it just drives by sight.
                any open steel getting air, attracts the 12v negative. as you can imagine, wheel wells are a grounding god to the little sube. ..lots of air in them.

fuel fattened up, my emergency homeless veteran vehicle is ready to go.

I need to fix the AM sounding pontiac delco radio.. I must have unhooked the antanae..
                the engine, it is interesting to listen to. I forget I have a half assed radio.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 15, 2017, 10:08 AM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• offset cone revisited

post 1357.
                  this was a great finale to an already great runtime.
                  fattened up the rochester nicely.
                  the ea82 went to a modern sound with the tight lid. not all that disappointing.. it is what subaru sounds are known for anyway.

very dramatic.. this monojet.
                  It needs an all metal lid, specific resistor size in the choke (this one loves the chevette numbers)

the stainless ended up being the trial and error winner. Could not wait to finally get a down to millimeters version installed.
                  the hood has just enough room.. that was the added difficulty.

with die grinder, carbide bits, the little high speed cutoff wheel, and my eyeball with a paper template..

finally got this monster nailed down. the rochester runs like ass without a metal lid. the cone is something every carb likes.. but for thisone it is quite dramatic.

making a cone is difficult enough with internet found math.. the offset was a whole other unwritten feat.

31 years and this is the miles. I do talk bad things of this buggy. As far as i know front struts and bearings, and one rear wheel bearing has never been changed. The bearings are much larger than today's subaru in every dimension.. strange but true. I bought this with 104k on it in Oct 2006.

The rear left super tension weld is doing very good. I welded so hot, the weld went into black carbon states, and came out with a grind as purple. A brake line more than a foot away gained an air bubble. If this lets go.. I am better off starting over. PSI too high. I joke to have made carbide. The psi must be into 100k+ territory. Doing very good. Never been so confident.

A hint about my long trip...
                  In january, a state that starts with "F" and ends with "a"..
                  I blamed the welding subaru to taking my dads alternator in his 2016 pete.
                  the path of invisible destruction carries on like a pickle park green bimmer with no front suspension owned by a midget momma humping viking.
                  (for sale BTW)
                  owners name is gene hanson, he is demanding popularity like a fat transvestite make up artist of you tube.
                  apt 13 5753 bennoch rd lagrange maine.
                  for sale sign in the window.

he may have cleaned out his dirty women's underwear by then.

I slowed this song down.. it sounds a little more male. not allowed to share it without trouble.

another hint about power..
                  it needs the metal lid to continue to feed at top end. the monojet is exactly like a primitive injector.
                  every action is a reaction, the rochester people know this when playing with gas emulsified..
                  gotta keep that grounded above the venturi.

these love stainless. the four barrels take it easy as they have for more exits and enters to begin with. the moonojet is a fantastic lesson when learning all realms of air fuel.

I'll try another top speed run.. am guessing 115. No extra thought, just fixing the lid ground.

moonojet.
                  hmmm.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2017, 05:55 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• uh oh. mud puddle.

this one was scary, almost to my knees.

I guess I'll save me pennies for the new driveshaft. 4x4 would have been nice right here.

post #1358
                    this wa snot exactly deep..but enough to fill the floors.
                    Pulled it out with my truck. gave it some direct gas in the carb and t eventually got going. no errors, nothing broken..in fact I am more impressed with my welds now. Bad time to have 4x4 disengaged, this would have made it right through.
                    I live right down the road from the great miscalculation.. this is 10 feet from the main road. Meant for small offroad vehicles, this is probably as big as can fit the trails. It was fun riding the same berms ATVs do.
                    back in the driveway. I'll leave it dirty for a time.. I'd swear the welds like this mineral goopy muck to age into nature. Clay like when dry.

I do feel bad about the interior.. will take some work to make it clean.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• msd 6530 torture test

with given photos, playing within inches of dead suby forever...
                      I knew moisture was going to get the best of something by the end of the day.

I made it ten miles to the car wash, free vacuum goes with it.
                      I pumped out several gallons.. the front and back seats. Lo and behold it went right down to damn good looking carpets as it has always had.

up next.. get the goo out from engine bay and radiator. these subarus with the clay between oil pan and skid plate can be an ignition killer.

As soon as I cleaned it out, I knew something was going to surge, as grounds are clean, alternator clean etc.

The MSD did something very clever..
                      it kicked a capacitor... knocking into an out of phase condition.
                      the original subaru used to do this, and then I knew this was not just aftermarket, they did add some protections.

the only problem with this type of discharge,is the wait state.. as there is no reset for certain gadgets like caps.

So, I was within walking distance home, and my neighbor steered the sube as I pulled it home with a chain.

We were laughing at the fog built up on the inside of the windows..
                      We are in a dry warm spell in maine, this will clear right up.

I also broke a disty wire tugging at things. Had that wired right back up on the side of the road.

these trail and errors and seeming extreme abuse is very intentional.
                      This car is going for a long ride.

I built it, and wanna know what its made out of.

will edit this post on the outcome of ignition phasing either back in or out.
                      the msd is showing good at the little red light signals... so it is just a matter of phasing the cap and ground.

trail and errors. See what I did there?
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 17, 2017, 06:06 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• killed the coil and msd6530 tip and trick

close to all dry, needing a dusty version of avacuum cleaning.

post #1360

been there done this.

the car wash must have zapped it. the resilience of the accel e-core coil has been good. It may even recover yet again, after removing from the car.

meanwhile, it needs a fresh kick.

ebay to the rescue.
                        should go further this time. that little stroke can't have millisecond delays to a coil winding up.
                        I'd love to get the hvc2, the real recommended coil, it has even lower secondary resistance.. but it costs 200 dollars.

found my coil mistake. the msd6530 likes low resistance all around, not just primary side.
                        the 140008 accel I was running was 9.6k ohm secondary.

the coil above is as follows:
                        Coil Wire Attachment: Male/HEI
                        Coil Style: E-core
                        Primary Resistance: 0.450 ohms
                        Coil Internal Construction: Epoxy
                        Coil Color: Blue
                        Maximum Voltage: 60,000 V
                        Turns Ratio: 100:1
                        Secondary Resistance: 3.80K ohms
                        Inductance: 6.6 mH
                        Peak Current: 280 mA
                        Spark Duration: 225 uS

this should go better this time.
                        my first success with fast timing ramp was the msd6530. I blew out my last accel oil filled coil, and went and found the 140008.
                        I killed that twice, this is the third time. It is getting swapped for a better coil by specs.

I found yet another one, beyond this one.. to be 70 to 1. that is the only thing to doubt about the ebay coil I just got.
                        it has 100 to 1. Resistance staying low and more windings.. it must be high end anyway.

I am also gaining 18k volts. A job for the iridiums no doubt.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 30, 2017, 05:50 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• RE: post 1118
                          august 16th 2017

I slowed this song down.. it sounds a little more male. not allowed to share it without trouble.
                          I declared this my prophetic song in 2011. Everything but L.A.
                          After I made a video called apocosubalypse....

japan quaked a day later.

1 day.
                          the biggest tsunami ever.

sorry bout houston, seems they got a problem.
                          I have no mercy on flood zones. It is a risk we all pay at a federal level.
                          RIP.

I did find one of the videos I used for the song I hacked.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 30, 2017, 10:06 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
                            killed the coil and msd6530 tip and trick

close to all dry, needing a dusty version of avacuum cleaning.

post #1360

should go further this time. that little stroke can't have millisecond delays to a coil winding up.
                            I'd love to get the hvc2, the real recommended coil, it has even lower secondary resistance.. but it costs 200 dollars.

this should go better this time.
                            my first success with fast timing ramp was the msd6530. I blew out my last accel oil filled coil, and went and found the 140008.
                            I killed that twice, this is the third time. It is getting swapped for a better coil by specs.

I found yet another one, beyond this one.. to be 70 to 1. that is the only thing to doubt about the ebay coil I just got.
                            it has 100 to 1. Resistance staying low and more windings.. it must be high end anyway.

I am also gaining 18k volts. A job for the iridiums no doubt.

the ebay red coil worked perfectly. started right up.
                            that secondary resistance is noticable. Exhaust is even more content. Fuel ratio stayed the same.. not really believing the 60k volt kick.. but they do operate from the trigger source. the MSD simply stayed the same...the coils take it and fire it.

ready to go.

the apocasoobalypse continues...

this song is less than a foot away above, but I want to hear it again here.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 31, 2017, 07:41 AM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• back on the road.

post 1362

still some signs of the puddle left..stubborn fine clay. Otherwise made my 70 mile round trip very good.
                              30mpg.

vacuumed out very good. Still need to get under seats up front. Seems the fine powder dried did it some good.
                              photos at the car wash, before cleaning.

cleaned p interior with armor all.

gave it a good vacuum. Mats are back in.

hood popped, ready to get into inspecting this ride to hampden.

can still see the water line

80 miles, mostly highway. The new coil is still burning in. The AFR gage lets me know. Alternator has a whistle, must be dusty.

85mph no problems. I may check rims inside, clean anything out in there as well.
                              30mpg.
                              the new coil demanded brake fluid (yes this subaru uses brake fluid to a new coil). The advance curve can be set to more aggressive.. and the power increase is quite noticable already. A little edge rolling on my offset cone lid, gained some fuel.. this monojet needs that lid tight.

I am thinking of going one of a kind (as if it is not there) on the timing, by letting map sensor play with 10 degrees. Sure is confident as of now. It plays with traffic no problems. I forget this one at 80 is near to 85 etc etc.

also me and dad was under his jeep putting on the exhaust. 20 minute job. 07 jeep liberty.

this subaru can go anywhere, even n the goofy errors of the yokohama avid. I have two bf goodrich never mounted yet.. could get to that in coming days.
                              ..priced new driveshaft to 330 delivered. it is the whole thing, including center carrier, its bearing, etc.
                              just bolt it in.
                              seems worth it. I put these through hell and back.. and they went even further than that.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 1, 2017, 07:30 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hurricanes

I am a weather nerd. It is fading away, my motivation for some of the things I used to do.. all data is readily available now.

looking at past hurricanes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	barrystorm.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1172468

I was driving this subaru around in this one. I love it when they come through.
                                just happened to be my name.

as it turns out.. it is the longest gap in recorded history for maine not to have a tropical hit.
                                more than 10 years ago.
                                there is an rgument between 1934-1945 drought of hurricane/tropical, but most shrug it off lack of modern keeping.
                                either way..
                                it is a long gap in record, no storms. not a common thing.

maine has had 36 in written, and many go into an area of grey as unnamed or just enough to make a note for record keeping with no data.

..or no record at all.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X