Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ride in the rain
    post #1363

it may be 3 years snice I have driven in the rain. The day I moved in was wet and sprinkles.

Decided to give it a try today. It loved it. I now know when it comes time to wind this up, a cold air intake will do wonders. It gained a good bit of power.

alternator is a whistling noise..but it somehow seems normal. It may be the new coil sending a freq, hard telling. all is well anyway.
    the wipers started off real slow. passenger side is quite decayed. they slowly came to life, and spread water to cover the whole front side windows as I remember. Less than stellar design per this subarus usual.. but that is the way it is.

It may be more than 3 years since drivingin the rain.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• beetle with a first? no way!

gravity .. blah.
      its the 3 main bearings.

22k views?!
      hollywood!
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• userIGN24

post #1364.
        with carb lid and fuel where I want it.. time for final timing and a ride.

I quietly laughed out loud when I realized, after 24 timing attempts..this was the winner.

I simulated this rochesters centrifugal weight int he old style distributors.
        Being digital, there is no mood swings, rust, wetness, over volt or too hot or cold.

I let off in stoich, 5600. It will go further..
        but at 6000 the fan is over 20000, the alternator is already whistling.

The option is there. I also pushed boundaries ever so slightly, so 93 octane is a sure hammer down.
        87 is 1 blip past the green, 13.3AFR.. and quirks to 14.
        the limiter is set to 7k... and is tempting. I'll be sure to have 93 octane in for that.

I love the map sensor, as it can gain on a carburators bad days. Too cold, fuel filter less than stellar.. the map sensor and my throttle foot gains on fuel, just by gently letting back some, the retard on the boost curve gains.

This is the way gm wanted this to run... but I have the cfm corrected also, on the 1.8 liters, instead of 4.1L
        The way I made the adapter plate, and studs.. it doesn't loosen. The 1.8 is not exactly the earthquake on the 4.1 it came from.

comin on like a hurricane... ok bad joke.

this is my favorite carburator song.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 5, 2017, 02:42 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• about 14minutes in, a deja vu..but 30 years younger.

I am still in the 2wd mode, keeping it running.

I even welded in my own trailing arm links.
          I suppose it does not matter the year.. you battle the subaru, it battles to some breaking.

maybe I have gone on too long, to stop swearing at subarus.
          I'll look around for one of the sporty versions... give it one of my veterans plates, and leave it alone.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 6, 2017, 08:06 AM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• new nickname

this took deep thought.

"pennywise" is my subarus nickname.

Did you know i put the 11 foot cedar fence in next door to stephen kings house, with a guy named rodney russel.. the "hemp king" who gained federal charges?

incognito is all over the place here, as a young teen, i knew him just as a hard worker.. with a 400 pontiac in a chevy ton truck.

I'd probably still chat with him today, unhindered.
            I wonder if that fence is still standing.. it is more than 25 years now.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• this is a cool story.
              Aside from watching, because genetically we have identical facial hair...(I am very rare - get a look at this guy)

now that florida is almost as dead as maine.. this may be an adventure for an 87 subaru instead.

the machine that carries you through a time like this.
              there is no glory, there is no showrooms.

I felt the fat fuel, and smelled the sweetness of the real burn, the way carbs used to be everywhere.
              Now curved without a mood swing, the digital helm of keeping timing.

Will fulfill this long time daydream, driving with a plan.
              For decades, I did not have one.. in the rural place with just my junk and hands.

Even if I had no purpose, I made a destination.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 9, 2017, 07:44 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• exponential timing

feeling motivation revived.. I remember how thorough I got with the carb,
                and timing was next. I spent a lot for the 6530, etc.
                optical disty, waterproof, bleedproof..
                no old school problems anymore.

exponential is the word.

post #1365
                Finally figured this out.
                took 24 tries.
                the rochester is designed for those old centrifugal weights apparently, even after I built it for the boxer. The timing above in previous post revealed it.

I needed to draw exponential.

2+3+4+5+6 = 20 degrees.
                the rpm number is the range of rpms between the dots.
                2100+1750+1300+1100+600 = 7000
                it really goes to 7000.. I get nervous near 6k, as alternator and pump pulley ratios are so high, it is in past 15000 rpm by 6k.
                I don't stay there for long.
                anyway, it gets shorter intervals as rpms climb...to gain timing faster.

interesting stuff. I know it has all kinds of fuel for the little engine, but I was losing past 3k rpm to leaner and leaner..
                gotta go easy on how fast the carb can feed. I must be spoiled with injection.
                I am only guessing this helps other rochester people, riding the modern times.

the map sensor, I can call that the weather sensor on this one. I let off a bit, it retards, and gains fuel..
                clever.
                it also conquers bad gas etc.. I can control how much fuel it gets with the throttle.
                the day this takes one big romp, I'll know conditions were all perfect.. until then, it is man and machine, like the old days.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 9, 2017, 04:59 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• longer video
                  made one fro the truck, decided to give the subaru a go.
                  a simple cruising video, raw, no talking.

I have been building custom computers since 1999.
                  I had been meaning to put a xeon on an aftermarket board ever since.

I am liking the largeness of what I can do.. I need to go get adobe premeire subscribed.
                  e3-1270, 8gb dual channel, etc etc.

this one has 8.1 sound, and several other things.
                  4.1 GHZ is not uncommon to see

this one even conquered some of the mic, and blurry blips in my cheap MOV camera.
                  Very impressed.

imagine adding real gear to go with this monster encoder?

anyway, the subaru has reached my version of good enough to cross a continent.
                  been a long ten years for sure.

I am finding bikers are the most to gain a gander, the harley bikers.
                  never a wave to say hi, it must simply be the sound.

I am glad at least some motorheads out there, acknowledge something different is coming by.

I finished this off in a similar way to my chevelle in 1993.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08462w.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	993.5 KB
ID:	1173534

cheap cardboard gasket smothered in gas resistant sealer for the base of the air breather.

this one is using seal all.
                  it makes a pleasant transition, no odors, allows the choke to set a better value at the throttle.
                  no leaks that I have found..
                  good enough.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 11, 2017, 11:44 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• RA = record attempt

subaru of the day. It is boosted all to hell, gutted, an expert n the suspension.. exhaust is breathing, and a blow off
                    whining gears must be the racing transmission..
                    other than that, the marketing attempt is a fail, but shows what a big wallet owner could do.

something that keeps me motivated with my wimpy one,and there is not much to keep me motivated..
                    the way this corners is mythological.

I wondered what more power would do on my version of the same rear end... to realize I am 20mph beyond anything I have ever driven on my own backroad tail of the dragon.
                    it is so casual, not even the camera reveals 75mph around the corners.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• not much to say
                      post #1366

another 80 miles
                      running very good.
                      the old odors of a carb in high humidity. It is as if a hurricane tropic is upon us already.
                      it brings back many years of runtime.

not many notice this subaru. Not many care.
                      I keep driving with my head up anyway.
                      passed through a university road I used to take to a frat house.
                      long gone now, a parking lot.
                      A fog in the fields heading to lagrange, as if it never cleared out from this morning.

The feeling that I can take off, 30 something mpg..
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 16, 2017, 04:41 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• encore
                        a family member just got one.
                        a 2014 Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_buick_encore_4dr-suv_base_fq_oem_11_1280.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1174304

maybe the old subaru is not forgotten.

little turbo,little motor...awd.
                        this one max foot pounds is the same as my 31 yr old subaru.. the boxer does not need a turbo to get it.
                        a 1000 more rpms is needed however.
                        1850 vs 2800.
                        I need the 2800 for max oil as well. I know not to go too tall in the gears.

will try this buggy out, just to say it is the first turbo 4 (aside from the thunderbird coupe in the 80s)... that I have ever driven.

max hp is 138. I strain the old tin can to see 130.. also a 1000 rpm more to get it.
                        the turbo has its place on the little Buick...and a lot of little motors.

1.4 versus 1781cc.
                        I declared the old subaru boxer prophetic. this buick is a direct comparison as to why.

meanwhile, the beetle is still kicking everybodies ass.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 20, 2017, 10:19 AM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• here comes winter
                          machines buttoned up.
                          one more cat welding chore for the truck.. but that is about it.

post #1367
                          subaru sitting, a good drop in temps matched my guesses...
                          to 3/10ths of a degree.

56 degree drop.

tuesday 2pm... 91.0F
                          by friday 2am... 34.7F
                          wednesday was warm too, in the 80s. if that doesn't kick the incinerator out of the stainless frying pan.. not sure what does.
                          91% humidity. I have only seen 90+ twice since getting the thermometer...about 2 years.
                          with air fuel as disciplined as I got it this summer.. I am guessing cold runtimes will be like the riginal 1987 lid.
                          the original carb ran hot all year.. did not notice winter.
                          the rochester needed extra think, until I realized i just made abigger version of what all carb engines get anyway.
                          they like the air from under the hood.
                          will give it a go in coming days. A routine is to go to nearly full warm before driving off.. that has never changed..since 1987.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 29, 2017, 06:51 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• drama and time
                            post #1368

cold dropped right in.
                            I can smell a house pet. Must be my neighbors.
                            The crazy one with a dog was hauled off in april. I bet its the remnants of the hermit squeezing out now.
                            I look forward to first below freezing.. the subaru stops in its tracks. I shake it up with all the chores in the summer.

I painted the trucks roof on the 91F day.. I hope it hangs on. Seems it is going to. The duplicolor did good. No spray cans, I used their real paints in jugs. Base and clear.

I did not exactly jump to the news.. very dramatic. A veteran from early 90s, you'd know why.
                            Not a fan of country, I remember this song first on the radio in 1992. I was in the air force, my room mate turned it up and seemed to like it like I do in my own new music findings.

I don't get into the wavelength, but this got popular fast, like clans getting together to listen in.
                            I just hung back.. not my thing.
                            I remember telling the same roommate, it felt like I was losing time. My foot was melting to a shot from basic training. My world was closing in to something I just ate.
                            He was one that carried me to the hospital after finding me unconscious..

There is a way to stay nice, if you are a warrior. Sometimes it is in simple music.. with subtle hints, and harmless to those that can't listen deeper.
                            I'd shake that room mates hand today, probably cry and hug him in a strange man to man way.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• air filter test MOTD

I won't spoil it... but damn that was interesting.

With a hood scoop vented, and my own unique cone (velocity stack)
                              I am inspired to change my setup.

august 16th journal
                              With die grinder, carbide bits, the little high speed cutoff wheel, and my eyeball with a paper template..

finally got this monster nailed down. the rochester runs like ass without a metal lid. the cone is something every carb likes.. but for this one it is quite dramatic.

making a cone is difficult enough with internet found math.. the offset was a whole other unwritten feat.

I'll keep the old top ready to go, it is the cone I am going to keep using.
                              that is a great episode, must watch on MOTD
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• one for the boxer

cessna crossing the atlantic. I am guessing IO-240, seems very modern.

like a dream.
                                just found the plane model..
                                cessna 210..
                                io470 to io520. all six cyls.
                                air cooled,modernized.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 16, 2017, 05:53 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X