No announcement yet.

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Daily Driver LQ4 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the tune mostly figured out. Few small quibbles to get over, but I'm happy to report it burns rubber once again. Hopefully the new MT Drag R tires show up in time for the track next month! Never have I been so sideways at 60mph...
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

• I'm noticing a bit of project creep on this one.....

went from just building a driver to.....this.....

Keep it up!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
        I'm noticing a bit of project creep on this one.....

went from just building a driver to.....this.....

Keep it up!
        Yes, the creep is very real. I did what the original project goal was, which was to get the car and engine together and make it a daily driver for little money. That happened. Then...I decided to partake in an event this summer and it quickly went from "oh, I'll just get a custom cam" to "and a FAST intake, and throttle body, and rear suspension, and front suspension, and front brakes, and shocks and new DOT slicks....and still daily drive it." Bad news: it's at the expense of my newly zeroed out credit accounts. Good news: there's no more room on my credit accounts, so the project creep is over!

Comment

• Untill you graduate and get a job to pay for it..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Untill you graduate and get a job to pay for it..
            Pretty much. Not sure how much longer my wife can take our current living arrangement/conditions.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post

Pretty much. Not sure how much longer my wife can take our current living arrangement/conditions.
              Supposed to be temporary, right? It will get better!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Supposed to be temporary, right? It will get better!
                I have a feeling that even if it was supposed to be permanent it would end up being temporary anyway. Funny thing, I don't mind living with my mother-in-law...my wife however...I think at this point she would rather live in an alleyway under a cardboard box than to live with her mother.

In other news, this car is freaking quick now. 30mph to 103mph in 6.8 seconds spinning hard for 1.2 seconds at 60mph per yesterday's log. Take away the tire spin and it almost matches acceleration with a 2015 Z06 to 100.

Comment

• Here's how it sits after the suspension work.

Before:

After:

And a little video of a cold start idle.

Comment

• And now a little drive video.

Comment

• Finally did some WOT tuning almost up to max speed/rpm at a roll race (I KNOW...I KNOW...). Went 30mph to 121mph in just under 10 seconds spending .6 seconds spinning hard on the 1-2 shift and .2 on the 2-3. Lambda was pretty close the whole way. I really need my new MT ET Street Rs to show up. I got one of two delivered today....also need to get some dyno time in...

Comment

• Just took my last final of the quarter and I have one week until I leave for the Northwest Drag Tour. Last minute preps include a pair of MT ET Street R tires on a pair of cheap aluminum wheels, fixing a header leak at the collector and finally getting the car aligned. Then it's off to three tracks in three days and almost 600 miles of driving. In a car that hasn't been down the track yet. It does have 5,500 mostly trouble-free miles on it now though.

Comment

• Running the Northwest Drag Tour. Drove down to Woodburn, OR today and ran three times in 100+ degree heat. IATs were above 120 at one point! Car ran 11.922, 11.927, 11.934 with a best MPH of 118.12. My 60' wasn't that great at 1.8x, but it was consistent and didn't spin at all. I tried flooring it from idle to try to hit the tires harder but that screwed with the computer and it didn't go into PE and didn't add fuel like it should have. I think with the traction at the line it went into an area of the VE Map that wasn't tuned before, so I richened that up. I will see if that fixes it at Portland tomorrow evening. Car really needs a 4000+ stall converter. Maybe this winter I will get a triple clutch billet.

Comment

• I am impressed! I can not remember have the heads ever been off it?
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• Yeah, it has PRC 5.3L CNC heads on it.

Today at Portland I had a 11.80, 11.75, 12.75(nevermind this) and an 11.78, all at about 118.4mph. The air was better, and I managed to get a 1.78 60'. But, the car simply won't launch any harder than that with the 3200 stall. Never broke the tires loose once, hooked hard and scooted! The new MT ET Street R tires are great!

Off to Bremerton in the morning for three more runs and then eliminations!

Comment

• Woodburn is about 40-45 miles from me..
                                End of the month broke and too flippin hot as well as being in the middle of a build for Forks derby on the 4th..
                                Utah got dropped because 2 cars of the 4 car team quit..
                                Some day I'll lay eyes on this and Aaron's stuff!
                                Saw "Mousetrap" (46Austin) in Mac a couple years ago..

Comment

Working...
                                X