No announcement yet.

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Daily Driver LQ4 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the new bumpers and the wheels look good on that car too.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with my decision to change the bumpers. Really improves the over-all look and demeanor of the car. Of course, they fit like fiberglass do, good enough but not really good. For my purposes though they work just fine. Really starting to lean towards just painting the whole car from bumper to bumper in flat black.
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Car is bare metal now and 90% sanded and ready for paint. But, I tuned it, it's running killer and it's too damn sunny around here to let paint dry, so I've been driving the pants off of it. Minor things are bothering me like the front ride height and the terrible, terrible, terrible under-steer. Also, although the 1-2 shift happening at 62mph and 6,700rpm and the 2-3 at 103mph, I think I would rather have 4.10 gears instead of the 3.42s. That puts 1-2 shift at 54mph, 2-3 at 92mph and I'm good until 120 or so unlocked in 3rd. Cruise at 60 goes from about 1800 to about 2200. Not bad. And, the MAP sensor reads 90 past 5,000 rpm (should read 100), so the intake is really, really restricting power. But, that's not a cheap fix! Did I mention I added a pair of PRC 5.3L stage 2.5 heads and SLP 1.85 roller rockers? The car moves out now!

Finishing the sanding, masking and applying primer tomorrow! Then it's time to see how many runs and drips I can make while trapping as much dust and pollen in the paint as possible. Going with a charcoal metalic spray paint.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
          Car is bare metal now and 90% sanded and ready for paint. But, I tuned it, it's running killer and it's too damn sunny around here to let paint dry, so I've been driving the pants off of it. Minor things are bothering me like the front ride height and the terrible, terrible, terrible under-steer. Also, although the 1-2 shift happening at 62mph and 6,700rpm and the 2-3 at 103mph, I think I would rather have 4.10 gears instead of the 3.42s. That puts 1-2 shift at 54mph, 2-3 at 92mph and I'm good until 120 or so unlocked in 3rd. Cruise at 60 goes from about 1800 to about 2200. Not bad. And, the MAP sensor reads 90 past 5,000 rpm (should read 100), so the intake is really, really restricting power. But, that's not a cheap fix! Did I mention I added a pair of PRC 5.3L stage 2.5 heads and SLP 1.85 roller rockers? The car moves out now!

Finishing the sanding, masking and applying primer tomorrow! Then it's time to see how many runs and drips I can make while trapping as much dust and pollen in the paint as possible. Going with a charcoal metalic spray paint.

don't forget the missed dents. my pickup has one on the side panel - it'd have been so easy to fix when I replaced the side.... had I noticed... now I notice it about every time I look at it.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Just another reason to leave everything in sealer primer - if it doesn't shine you can't see the imperfections! ;-)
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sanding the primer and spraying on color in the afternoon tomorrow. Having withdrawls from not driving it. Getting ready to take it to the track too. I have a brand new helmet and a portable air tank for filling my drag radials coming my way.

Comment

Car is painted.
                Car is tuned.
                Car now has 4.30 gears.
                Hoping to get it on the track sometime in the next month.

Comment

pictures or it didn't happen
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

4.30 gears in a 6.0L DD? Either I do way more highway driving than you or I am just a pansy.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      pictures or it didn't happen
                      I'm working on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        4.30 gears in a 6.0L DD? Either I do way more highway driving than you or I am just a pansy.
                        You are a pansy.

Honestly though, with the OD trans it turns just under 2500rpm at 60mph with the converter locked. Not terrible, a big jump from the 1800rpm with the 3.42s...but not terrible. I also only drive it about 5 miles down the freeway per day. Mostly in the 35-45mph range on surface streets and the car is MUCH happier with the 4.30 gears. I originally was looking at a 250 mile drive once a week, so the 3.42s were good for that. Now I'm in a program at a local school for the next two years and the 4.30s get me to that no problem. I do have to occasionally drive it 80 miles or so at 70mph (2,700rpm) to visit my parents and pickup/drop-off my daughter.

Comment

• My junk has to be happy at 79 mph for 300 miles a week to call it a DD
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            My junk has to be happy at 79 mph for 300 miles a week to call it a DD
                            Ouch. Yeah, I would have something else entirely for a weekly 300 miles! I would be spending somewhere near $60 a week for gas!

Comment

• This is a sweet ride! I like what you've done with it!

Comment

• About 1,700 miles on it now running back and forth to school. I got some odd MAF readings yesterday and the car would go dead rich at WOT and then the MAF signal would drop off entirely. I've been thinking about going with a pure speed density tune for a while now and ditch the MAF and narrow-band o2s. So, I have some 4" tubing and elbows coming along with a new K&N filter to replace the 3.5" tube and 85mm MAF. Should also help to make the low MAP readings at WOT upper RPMs. If the ambient reading is 100, I was getting as low as 92 at 6,000+rpm.

Also, got a pair of Rampage headlamp conversion buckets that have reflectors and accept H4 style modern bulbs. Not HID, but better than the sealed-beams I have now.

Comment

Working...
                                X