No announcement yet.

1956 Pontiac Chieftain, saving another one from the brink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a pair of NOS taillamps in the parts car. sweet, I needed some but I was going to put the accessory lamps on that have the chrome hoods over them. Not sure if they use the same lens.
    Attached Files

Comment

Scrubbed the hood to get rid of the tree dirt and bolted it on. Fits much better than the original hood, and I now have the missing front molding that completes the upper grille. Now we're getting somewhere.
      Attached Files

Comment

Someday maybe I'll start out with a nice car and make it the way I want it. Be nice to get one and not have to make a car before I make it cool lol.

Ah hell, what's the fun in that?!

Comment

I always worry about the work done on "nicer" cars... I appreciate the honesty of rust and faded original paint. The new hood really changes the car's attitude!
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Loving this thing!

Nice to see you back posting again VT!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Looking sweet!

And you mean when you drove by the guy under the mini-van you didn't honk your horn or yell "AAAHHHHH" at him?
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                Looking sweet!

And you mean when you drove by the guy under the mini-van you didn't honk your horn or yell "AAAHHHHH" at him?
                LOL, no i was trying to get a better picture, snapped one as I drove by, but it didn't turn out. Kicking myself now, that was unbelievable, and funny. No way I'd ever do that.

Death by minivan lol

Comment

Pulled the windshield the rear window out to fix a small hole in the front and rear corners of the roof on the drivers side. Besides that I wanted them removed to change the cracked, leaking seals, and I won't have to worry about them getting covered with splatter from the plasma cutter or welder.

The passenger side rear moldings near some work anyway, somebody had tried to remove them and didn't know what they were doing, damaging the rear pillar side trim.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is a really cool build! It's nice to see something that isn't main stream. I'll be following this.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

No build pics to add, been making some templates for the floor pan. Haven't had much time this week to spend in the shop doing anything, so it's been a little here and there as I can sneak time in. I'll have more time probably this weekend and next week.

Answered a Craigslist ad for a set of tires, scored a complete set of almost new 6.70x15 with 3" wide white walls. They are like new, and if I decide I don't like the size, I paid less than the cost of one new tire for the 4 of them.

Comment

I've been looking through the little pages for inspiration.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The day can't end fast enough, getting ready to spend a solid three days in the shop.

Comment

Need some parts?

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              I sent the guy an email. I could use a door, maybe the pair. Thanks!

Comment

Talked to the owner, sounds like his are rusty too, not as bad as mine, but enough that I'm not driving to NC to pick them up. I've posted some wanted ads in the New England area, I'm sure some will turn up. I've repaired these doors before, fabricated a bottom and replace the skin, but I don't look forward to that again. As far as repair panels for them, $240 for a skin, and $150 for a lower inner structure, plus my labor for a few hours, seems like I could buy a decent door for that kind of money.

Anyone have a lead on a set of 56 Chevy 2 door hardtop doors, or at least a passenger side, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X