Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 F-250 - Turbo BBF - It's off to a new home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    Traction will likely be a problem when the converter is changed. Right now it slips so much it just hazes them in 1st.

I have not talked to anyone about it. I talked to Lenny at Ultimate once and quickly decided I couldn't afford anything he had to sell. The Hayes (which is very like a rebranded ACC) is rated for 1000 hp so I should be ok. I ordered it yesterday from Super Shops. They beat Summit and Jegs price by about $30.

Thankfully I planned ahead when building the turbo stuff and made it where I can get the starter out and get to the converter bolts without having to remove the exhaust crossover. I also left the trans cooler lines long enough to lower the trans without having to take them loose. I should be able to drop it down, swap converters and stab it back in without too much trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    How's the traction?

Trying to keep a straight face when I type that. You're probably right about stall... not typical torque for what they use in their estimate is my guess. Have you talked with the folks at Broader about it?

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Took it on it's longest drive so far. Got on the gas semi-hard several times. Boost follows tps very closely. Jab the throttle and the boost shoots up almost instantaneously. Still leaner than I want, but I am slowly getting that better.

I did make the noob mistake of not setting the fuel pressure when it was running. It had just under 30psi when idling. Oops. I turned it up to around 43 but could go higher I suppose.

Currently eyeing a Hays 97-2G24F converter, 2400-2800 stall, with anti-balloon plates. I figure it will stall on the high end of that if not more.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Played a little more today. It is less lean under boost but still in the 13.3-13.5 range. I am creeping up on it trying to get a feel for how sensitive it is to changes. Still have only been to 50% throttle. Warmup enrichment + accel enrichment is a little fat. Wack the throttle when it's cold and the duty cycle shoots waaay up. Lol.

I bought a windshield mount for my phone so I can watch what is happening easier. Much better than chasing the phone all over the cab!

I gotta do something about the converter. It was loose behind the 552 in the Mustang, but not horribly so. Flashed to 5200 on the launch and worked ok behind that 700 hp NA motor. It was no good when I tried to spray the 552 though. I suspected it would be loose in this truck so this is no real surprise, but this is not going to work.

Example: Turn a corner in 1st gear, mash the gas and it flares up to 3500 just to get it moving up to 30-35 mph. I got into it a little harder yesterday and it flashed to 4700 in 1st, stayed there through the 1-2 shift and still stayed there up to 65 mph where I let off.

Thinking a 2800-3000 would probably be a better fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_172125.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	1286335

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I drove it some more and got some good data. It is pretty lean on boost and the wastegate seems to be set at 5psi.

The converter is probably going to have to be changed. It is pretty loose. It might be ok at the track, but on the street it is kinda annoying.

Logging with the map overlay is fantastic.

Name:	20210115_210408.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	1286188

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Hot restart.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    So it seems they run much better when they actually have fuel. Haha.

Tried driving and dataloggjng/autotune, but it was dang near empty and that was causing fuel delivery problems.

Limped back to the shop and then went and grabbed two 5 gallon cans of 91. Should be good to go for next time.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    When I asked during the Durango repair about the truck, this is the one I was asking about. Sounds good!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Making progress. I moved the battery cable to go to the starter first and it really helped the hot start. I warmed it up and drove it yesterday and it restarted every time. I worked on accel enrichment quite a bit to eliminate a stumble when the throttle was yanked open. I rolled into the throttle in 1st fairly hard a couple of times and I think it is going to be a lot of fun. Haha

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Drove it on the street for the first time. Not far, but I did manage to get some data logged. It died as I was pulling back into the parking lot. It was a little too lean to idle after warm up enrichment ended. Went to restart it and it wouldn't turn over. Had to pull the 83GT out and jump it. The alternator is charging fine. I think the battery is just too small to spin over a 552 when it the engine is warm.

Name:	20210107_173252.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1285843
    Last edited by BBR; January 8, 2021, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Finally closed up the holes in the rear windows.

Name:	20201011_172809.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1282079

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I trimmed the grills, and installed them along with the front bumper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201010_151305.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1282048
    Last edited by BBR; October 10, 2020, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Finished it up today. These are all plates from cars I've owned but a couple stand out. AP-6101 is from my first truck, a 73 F100. ZU-7529 is from my second truck, an 84 Ranger.

Name:	Snapchat-145091825.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	777.5 KB
ID:	1281953

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I think the only pic I posted of it when I did it is here:

https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...78#post1281937

Basically just cut as close to the frame rail as I could, then slid the piece over and welded it back on. It has had a gap for quite a while.

Here is just after I welded them back in.
    https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...87#post1281937

Couple more:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20170114_151428.jpg Views:	0 Size:	864.5 KB ID:	1281939Click image for larger version  Name:	20170114_151403.jpg Views:	0 Size:	919.6 KB ID:	1281940
    Last edited by BBR; October 8, 2020, 06:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teddyzee
    replied
    I had to visit this thread after catching the mini tub shot on FB

Any other pics of cutting it open?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X