Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 F-250 - Turbo BBF - It's off to a new home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    Whoo Hoo! Finally working on the truck again!

I decided to play with the old rail, drill a bunch of test holes to get this situation figured out. First, I painstakingly set up the drill press so that it was drilling straight and square. I chucked up the 17/32 bit just to see if maybe last time I had something crooked. I drilled it, then pulled the bit and the hole was way bigger than the bit. Interesting. I chucked up a 1/2" bit that I really though wasn't in very good condition and drilled a 1/2" hole in the rail. Removed bit and slid it in. Spot on. Bit fit the hole perfectly. So I decided it must be the bit. The 1/2" makes long aluminum curls and the 17/32" makes chips . I suppose the chips do not clear well and causes the hole to end up larger. I chucked up the 17/32" in my 1/2" hand drill and just made a quick finish pass in the 1/2" hole. Checked it afterwards, perfect size. Whoo hoo I have a technique. I practiced a few more times on the old rail perfecting my technique and getting my depth set correctly for the shoulder down in the hole. Then it was go time on the new rail. Drilled the 1/2" holes, smaller feed holes and then hit them with a 17/32" clean up pass and it ended up perfect. Wheeeeeeeewwwwww.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_215005.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	1254894

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Yeah, 8 years ago. Haha.

We "what if'd" one time too many and someone REALLY wanted our house. Good market, very motivated buyer and we own a property we could move right into. It worked out perfect. Goodbye big house with a million stairs, hello smaller house with NO stairs!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    wait wut?! I thought you just moved into your digs....

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Moving sucks. Moving in the rain really sucks. That is all.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Yes I have seen those, but they are danged expensive for only 4 holes!

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Have you considered using one of these?

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Well they worked great on both sides up to 20psi. The ones on the passenger side started to weep at 45psi though. I ordered a new fuel rail blank today and will try this again. This time I am going to use a 1/2" bit instead of the 17/32". I think my drill press has just enough wobble that the holes end up being a bit oversize.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    New blue o-rings arrived Saturday. I didn't have time to really mess with them but did test fit and quickly snap a pic. Seems to fit the rail really well. Hope they work.

Name:	Snapchat-439152592.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	1251516

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    schmidtz happens to the best of us. Especially tired!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Me too. I measured the crap out of everything this time. Holes are all ~0.565". (The bit is 0.531") The new o-rings are spec'd at 0.600" to 0.610" (0.035" to 0.45" crush)

The stock Ford fuel rails measure 0.520" ID. The o-rings that came on these Deka 80's measure 0.560". (0.040" crush) So I should probably be good.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Sounds a bit like my "carpentry". Measure twice, cut it three times, and it's still too short. Hope the o-ring fixes it!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Edit: went back again and I must have been cross-eyed (dark shop, very tired eyes) because I DID have the correct 17/32 bit chucked up. I don't know what the problem is but it looks like I can get an injector o-ring that will fit and work. LS1 injector to an LS2 intake uses a fatter 15.25mm o-ring with the same ID.
    Last edited by BBR; September 9, 2019, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Bummer, start over

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Rail mounts made and fuel system is plumbed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190907_215932.jpg Views:	1 Size:	484.7 KB ID:	1251187
    And it leaks.

Well the driver's rail does not, but the passenger rail does. Bad.

I pulled the rail and jacked around with it, still leaked. So I decided to pull it, tap and plug the holes, move over 3/4" and painstakingly drill new ones. (which would actually make the rail fit much better) No sweat. Tap all 4, put 3 brass pipe plugs in and then proceed to twist the head off of the last one. Genius.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Snapchat-1830431519.jpg Views:	1 Size:	293.9 KB ID:	1251186

I drilled it out and got the threads all clean. Screwed the fittings back on the ends and walked over to the truck to test fit. That's when I realized I offset the new holes the wrong way. I think I am going to die.

Go back, flip the fittings, and hope it will work. Stick it on the truck and it falls over the injectors WAAAAAY too easy. WTF???? I am dead. I hate cars.

Last edited by BBR; September 9, 2019, 08:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Dummy distributor and coils are mounted. The dummy distributor is just an old billet housing with a shaft, no cap, no guts and a cover over the top. It's only purpose is to drive the oil pump. The bottom right coil tower is pretty close to the back of the tensioner pulley. A plug wire will go on to problem. but time will tell if it is going to be a problem. Still pretty cluttered looking and it's driving me crazy.

Name:	20190827_175455.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	1250500Click image for larger version

Name:	20190827_175506.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	698.3 KB
ID:	1250501

Leave a comment:

Working...
X