Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 F-250 - Turbo BBF - It's off to a new home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    Well it isn't. Hooked it all up yesterday evening and messed with it for a few hours. First off, the instructions are really pretty bad. It auto-recognized the ABS sensor's signal just fine, but I killed a lot of time because I got the two rotary dials mixed up. Oopsie.

It will accept a Hall or VR input and has 3 output options.

1. square wave going high (0v-5v-0v)
    2. square wave going low (5v-0v-5v)
    3. AC sine wave

I had it set on 1.

Anyway, it took a while to figure out if I needed to set the dials for 80% or for 20%. 8000 would be about 20% of 39460 (the ppm number generated by our last 2 mile Autometer speedo calibration) but it is also 80% smaller than 39460 so you can see my conundrum. I finally figured it out, but with the dials set to 80, I was only getting a ~50% reduction in PPM (20048 ppm according to the speedo). Not sure what is up with that, but it is still way too high for the EEC-IV. I didn't have time to work on it any longer last night.

One thing I have noticed is that with the speedo connected and calibrated it does not register any mph until you get to about 15-20 mph. I'm not sure this thing is going to be my solution or not.

So, I did more research into just exactly what type of signal the EEC-IV and stock PSOM require. The PSOM take a VR signal and outputs a square wave to the EEC-IV. Sounds familiar.... haha. I am thinking I might be able to use the stock PSOM in about the same manner as the speedo corrector, except that I 100% KNOW it's output signal is compatible with the EEC-IV computer. The kicker is that while the PSOM is programmable, the lower limit for correction factors is 5.0.

The conversion factor is calculated: ConvConst = TireRevsperMile x ToneRingTeeth / 8000

With our front tire size and 50 tooth tone wheel, we really need 4.93. That works out to a difference of something like 10 tire rotations in a mile. Certainly ballpark to make this crazy thing realize it is moving. I hope. haha

THe other kicker is that it can only be changed 6 times then it's locked. Maybe I won't have to ever change it.
    Last edited by BBR; March 14, 2017, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    here's hoping it works the way you want..

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Brake booster is in and working nicely. Changed it in the cold and mist on Saturday. Brrrrr.

The speedo adjuster arrived Friday, but we didn't have time to install it on Saturday. Sunday we made a quick trip to White Sand, NM. Not really so quick. It's a 6 hour drive over there.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170310_172945.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	983.5 KB
ID:	1149624

I originally planned to just use this to feed the ECM. But, there is no way to verify the ppm of the output signal. If we set it to what we think is the ballpark correct ratio, then feed the signal to the speedo and the ECM , we can recalibrate the speedo and it will display what our ppm signal is. Then we can play with the adjuster until we get close to 8000 ppm if it is way off.
    Last edited by BBR; March 13, 2017, 07:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Found the single greatest E4OD operation thread in existence. Thankfully it is not dead!

Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case - E4OD Operation - I have an E4OD behind my EFI 434 'M' block in my '53 F100, and I have an E4OD behind the carb'ed 302 in my '83 F100. I use a Baumann Controller to control the shifts, but I only have one Baumann. I swap it between vehicle as I need it. I am...

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Looking over the wiring diagrams I found another wire that needs to be grounded. There are 2 VSS wires at the ECM. One is the signal input and the other is the signal ground. I had input attached, but not the ground. I have not had time to ground it, but am glad I found it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X