Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 F-250 - Turbo BBF - It's off to a new home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    More hitch work. Welded up the tubes and added an angle support to the center. The center support will attach to the back of the angle.

It looks high, but the top of the ball is really only 1" higher off the floor than the ball on the red Mustang.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_180720.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1,015.1 KB
ID:	1293304Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_191427.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	1293305

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Chopped the receiver tube off and the ends off the brackets. I added a couple of pieces of roll cage tubing and now have the beginning of a much more compact receiver hitch. There will be a center bracket tying it to the frame crossmember that is behind it. It won't be as heavy duty as the other one, but it doesn't need to be.

Name:	20210503_180204.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1,002.2 KB
ID:	1293261

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Started to bolt it on and came to the realization that I hated how it fit. Too low and sticky outy. Back to the drawing board.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Every truck needs a receiver hitch. We had this hitch on the truck back when it was still a big truck. It hung down under the rear step bumper and looked dumb once we took the rear bumper off. I cut the welds and flipped the center tube over so the receiver is on top of the tube, up out of harm's way. Should be fine for anything this truck will need to pull.

Name:	20210418_181326.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	936.4 KB
ID:	1292413

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I finally put a filter on it. A really big one. I was super worried a rock was going to get flipped by the front tire, bounce around and get eaten by the turbo.

Name:	20210224_123247.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1288710

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    The focus the last few days had been on getting the brake lines sorted and fixed. To recap, this thing has always been hard to bleed and the pedal was always lower than I thought it ahould be. I discovered that somewhere along the way, some previous owner plumbed the master cylinder backwards. On a Ford, the large side of the master cylinder (closest to the booster) should be routed to the front disc brakes and the smaller side is for the rear drums.

The combination valve that these things have is a known problem maker, I decided to use one like the one in my Mustang. It has never given a lick of trouble and performs just as expected. JWS4621 let me rob the one from his parts car.

Of course this meant having to change some of the brake fittings to the proper size. While doing so, I noticed the line I just setup for the rear brakes was still loose when the fitting was as tight as possible in the mc. I pulled it back off and sure enough, the PO only used a single flare. I cut it off and reflared (double) the line, problem solved.

Good news is that I only flared 1 line without first putting the fitting on. Haha

Boring stuff, but completely necessary.

Follow up. I am happy to report the brakes feel awesome now.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    my city guy wanted to know if my truck was operational, said a video would do. I sent him this one. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's great James, Goodyear is gonna love it.
    hahaha niiiiice.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    my city guy wanted to know if my truck was operational, said a video would do. I sent him this one. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's great James, Goodyear is gonna love it.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Holy smokes it works!!!

Uploaded an old tune and took it out after work around the parking lot and it didn't lean out!! AFR was around 11.0-11.5 at WOT.

Still only at 5 psi right now, but man this thing feels and sounds rad!!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I feex!
    I ran the fuel pressure gauge up to the windshield wiper and watched as fuel pressure dropped like a rock under boost.

I started by checking the basics. I just filled the tank was full so it was not that. I pulled the fuel filter and bingo. The filter was completely clogged with fuel cell foam remnants.

I cleaned it out and whoo hoo!! Now it is stupid rich under boost!! Now I need to back up to an earlier tune and start over.

Name:	20210207_162558.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	882.8 KB
ID:	1287389

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    So yeah, then there is this. How did that get set negative???

Name:	IMG_20210205_181612_523.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1287290

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    makes total sense

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    The formula I ran across to determine the target cell value in theVE table is:

VE(new) = VE(old) * AFR(logged) / AFR(desired)

Simple algebra. Hope it works.
    Last edited by BBR; February 4, 2021, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Not yet. Still dealing with a lean condition under boost. I keep tweaking the VE table to throw more fuel at it but I don't think I am making big enough changes to be effective.

I did some math this evening and made a pretty big change so maybe tomorrow I will see some improvement if it's not too cold.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X