Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 F-250 - Workhorse Revival -> Sport Truck -> Turbo Truck (Well Over $5k Now)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 F-250 - Workhorse Revival -> Sport Truck -> Turbo Truck (Well Over $5k Now)

Take a trip in the way back machine with me to the year 1986. The epic year I finally got my driver's license. My dad bought this 1973 F-100 new and daily drove it for many years. I loved that truck and was beside myself with excitement that it was going to me mine. It was a dog. 2bbl 302/C4, PS and manual brakes. I drove it for a few years and decided it would be a good idea to get a Ranger to drive while in college. We sold it to my next door neighbor and he drove it for several years. He eventually sold it and the last time I saw it, it was in sad shape. Click image for larger version  Name:	1909609_45956379484_7659_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	1093777
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1909609_45956369484_6556_n.jpg Views:	2 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	1093779

At Amarillo Dragway - ran solid 19's. lol Click image for larger version  Name:	1909609_45956359484_5061_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.5 KB ID:	1093776
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1909609_45956364484_5553_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	1093778

Fast forward to 2013!!

I have been wanting a pickup ever since I traded the Mazdog (99 4x4 B4000) in on Julie's Mountaineer. I really wanted an older one that I could easily work on, so I decided I wanted an old Ford or a Dodge. I decided I really wanted a 3/4 ton truck with a decent sized engine and automatic trans so I could use it to pull my big trailer and Mustang. I have been watching Craigslist, etc for several years now just waiting for the right deal to come my way.

Yesterday I ran across a 1973 2wd F-250 LWB. 460, C6 transmission and a Dana 60.... best part was the price.... $500. An added bonus is that it is at least partially the same color as my first truck. Man I would have loved to have had a 460 truck in high school!

This truck was last registered in 1994 and has been parked in a barn ever since. Although the big mirrors and emblems are gone, it is a "Camper Special", which really does not mean a whole lot as far as running gear goes.

Well it made it 7 miles to my house. It definitely needs work. Doors rattle, steering wheel is thrashed motor misses pretty bad, but does not smoke. There is a leak in the fuel lines (dual tanks) so we drove it using a 2 gallon gas can bungee'd to the inner fender. lol Motor ran cool in spite of stop and go traffic and the oil pressure looked great. Power steering works GREAT, brakes are awesome, trans shifts nice but the old bias ply tires are square as a rubik's cube. Interior is pretty dirty, speedo does not work, no keys (you start it with a screwdriver) but has a new battery.

There is one rust hole in the passenger fender and the spot above the driver's rear fender is just barely starting to rust. It looks pretty clean underneath so far. It had a camper on it for years so I am hoping the bed is in decent shape. It came with 4 chrome wagon wheels and 2 white wagon wheels and a bed load of crap that was in the camper. I rubbed a spot on the yellow and it shined right up so maybe there is hope for the paint. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20131204-01463.jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.5 KB ID:	1093780
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20131205-01480.jpg Views:	1 Size:	242.0 KB ID:	1093781

The plan is to clean clean clean and get it running good and reliable. Then buff up the paint and replace some of the missing trim, etc. Then I can start diving into the engine for more power and efficiency (lol). If I spend anywhere near $5000 on this thing, I will probably have a heart attack. I am thinking the wagon wheels with some sort of A/T tire, buffed up paint, refurbished trim, aluminum diamond plate tool box and a decent hitch on the back.

I can't wait to get started!
    Last edited by BBR; August 14th, 2018, 01:18 PM.

• BBR
    replied
    Yes I have seen those, but they are danged expensive for only 4 holes!

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Have you considered using one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-Bosch-...-/264430717854

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Well they worked great on both sides up to 20psi. The ones on the passenger side started to weep at 45psi though. I ordered a new fuel rail blank today and will try this again. This time I am going to use a 1/2" bit instead of the 17/32". I think my drill press has just enough wobble that the holes end up being a bit oversize.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    New blue o-rings arrived Saturday. I didn't have time to really mess with them but did test fit and quickly snap a pic. Seems to fit the rail really well. Hope they work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-439152592.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	1251516

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    schmidtz happens to the best of us. Especially tired!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Me too. I measured the crap out of everything this time. Holes are all ~0.565". (The bit is 0.531") The new o-rings are spec'd at 0.600" to 0.610" (0.035" to 0.45" crush)

The stock Ford fuel rails measure 0.520" ID. The o-rings that came on these Deka 80's measure 0.560". (0.040" crush) So I should probably be good.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Sounds a bit like my "carpentry". Measure twice, cut it three times, and it's still too short. Hope the o-ring fixes it!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Edit: went back again and I must have been cross-eyed (dark shop, very tired eyes) because I DID have the correct 17/32 bit chucked up. I don't know what the problem is but it looks like I can get an injector o-ring that will fit and work. LS1 injector to an LS2 intake uses a fatter 15.25mm o-ring with the same ID.
    Last edited by BBR; September 9th, 2019, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Bummer, start over

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Rail mounts made and fuel system is plumbed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190907_215932.jpg Views:	1 Size:	484.7 KB ID:	1251187
    And it leaks.

Well the driver's rail does not, but the passenger rail does. Bad.

I pulled the rail and jacked around with it, still leaked. So I decided to pull it, tap and plug the holes, move over 3/4" and painstakingly drill new ones. (which would actually make the rail fit much better) No sweat. Tap all 4, put 3 brass pipe plugs in and then proceed to twist the head off of the last one. Genius.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Snapchat-1830431519.jpg Views:	1 Size:	293.9 KB ID:	1251186

I drilled it out and got the threads all clean. Screwed the fittings back on the ends and walked over to the truck to test fit. That's when I realized I offset the new holes the wrong way. I think I am going to die.

Go back, flip the fittings, and hope it will work. Stick it on the truck and it falls over the injectors WAAAAAY too easy. WTF???? I am dead. I hate cars.

Last edited by BBR; September 9th, 2019, 08:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Dummy distributor and coils are mounted. The dummy distributor is just an old billet housing with a shaft, no cap, no guts and a cover over the top. It's only purpose is to drive the oil pump. The bottom right coil tower is pretty close to the back of the tensioner pulley. A plug wire will go on to problem. but time will tell if it is going to be a problem. Still pretty cluttered looking and it's driving me crazy.

Name:	20190827_175455.jpg
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	1250500Click image for larger version

Name:	20190827_175506.jpg
Size:	698.3 KB
ID:	1250501

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    We have a townhouse we bought for a rental about 5 years ago in a real nice part of town. It is a nice size and has a sideyard. We are going to move there for a while until we decide what we want and where we want to be. One thing is for sure, I do not want another fixer upper. I feel like I have been working on houses since 2005. Boo.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Good luck with the move, my suggestion is small and paid for with cash. But this is not your first bull ride so you don't need my advice. If I ever move I hope I take my own advice.
    Last edited by Russell; August 26th, 2019, 07:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Not quite yet because I accidentally sold my house. lol

We tossed the idea around between ourselves and mentioned it to a few friends. Next thing we knew we had a offer. A very good offer. So my free time will be limited for a little while. Thankfully, the truck and shop stuff is not at my house so I don't have to move any of it.

Injectors are in and I need to measure to make rail retainers. I think the next thing though is to install the dummy distributor and the ignition coils.

Can't wait to neaten everything up and get the fuel lines and reg in their proper locations.

Name:	20190823_171226.jpg
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	1250356
    Last edited by BBR; August 26th, 2019, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X