Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 41 Pontiac......"Garbage that barfed".......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the car to the track last Friday. It didnt do well-
    It has had a popping back fire coming out of the passenger side header since last Wednesday. So Friday, I changed back to the Holley carb, (no washer incident this time), loaded up some tools, and left for the track. Unloaded and went thru tech, and passed with flying colors. I went back to our trailer area, then on to the staging lanes. The entire time of running, the 41 never backfired or did anything weird. I get into the water box, do the burn out, and the car just doesnt feel right or sound right. I staged, and mashed the pedal. The car launched hard immediately, then fell on its face. I stayed in it to about the 330 mark, and let off. it started banging and popping all over again. We were at a 1/8 track, and I coasted thru the lights at 9.00 sec. In the hurry to get to the track, we forgot the extra distributor and wires, etc....I did throw the timing light on it and it was set initial 12 degrees.
    I loaded it up and brought it home where it sat until Monday. Monday, we found that the 3/8" vacuum port was never plugged at the rear of the carb, the distributor,($20 garage sale item) had no springs or weights, and was welded solid to be set at zero, and the entire passenger bank of plugs were fouled and the gap was all over the place. I replaced the distributor, wires, and cleaned and regapped the plugs, sealed the vacuum leak, and it roared to life. It runs better than it ever has!
    While at the dragstrip , trying to foot brake the car was almost impossible. I couldnt get the rpms high enough before the car tried to skid forward, even though it was running poorly.. So yesterday, a trans brake was ordered, and will be installed hopefully by Friday. I still havent had the time to run any type of exhaust, so the car has only seen road driving in the country in front of my house.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0952.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1119210
    Attached Files
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12,16,17
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• This is great!
      Hope you get it dialed in for the events you want to make!

Comment

• The debugging stage is the best.

It can be the most frustrating, but is also the most rewarding.

Nice work!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• We got rained out Friday at the local tracks, I was hoping to get a few passes in on the 41 before doing the transmission brake. We removed the transmission yesterday and took it over to a shop in Defiance Ohio. The brake should be finished up by Wednesday, and ready to be reinstalled on Thursday. In the meantime, I have decided to swap the rear gears which are currently a 3.50, to a 3.89. I also have a set of Flowmasters I found, (probably from the Judge) that I can install while the trans is out.
          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
          DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• Keep the earplugs handy. Have you fashioned up a billet cnc center console with Iphone charger, dual thermally insulated cup holders, GPS dock, etc?

Refer to Squirrels dragweek center console in the Chebby 2 You need one!

I took the liberty of doing some shopping for you:

Here's a center console with a built in FRIDGE for $46! :

Last edited by milner351; August 22, 2016, 06:04 AM.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I like the cooler/armrest item! Ive still got to make the brackets for the other seat, and get another harness installed. I'll have up to 3 or 4 12 volt recepts under the dash, and was thinking about a couple of the "school bus"type windshield fans to blow on me while in the car. There isnt a bit of insulation in the car, and it is like riding in a drum when its running.
              I just got a call from my buddy Doug, the trans brake will be finished tomorrow.
              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
              DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• We drove over to Defiance and picked up the transmission,.....and a box of parts that were replaced. Frustrating, but I have a solid piece of mind knowing that the trans is now the last thing I need to worry about. To date, The engine, transmission, driveshaft, wiring, are all things that I have no worries about. I will be replacing the rear gears this weekend, and running the exhaust. Then its just a matter of mounting a license plate light, and drive it for the next 2 weeks to get the road manners sorted out.
                HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                  DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                    Looking wicked cool awesome job!
                    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• I'm looking forward to the first trans brake launch daylight under the front tires picture.....

It would be worth a trip to the closest home improvement store to pick up the "foil faced bubble wrap" type insulation - and some 3M spray adhesive - glue that stuff to the inside of the roof at least, upper firewall, rear firewall, etc.

That stuff is Randal approved, so it must work!

Don't forget the ear plugs!

Comment

• Easily knocked 20ºF off the floorboards, maybe more. I meant to put some in the roof, but never got around to it.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• 20° is a bunch when your feet are sweating!
                          Last edited by STINEY; August 25, 2016, 08:41 AM.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I have those microspheres of ceramic to mix with latex paint and paint on the floors too - DIY lizardskin.

I would atleast glue that silver stuff to the roof, firewall, trans tunnel, rear firewall. The floors - not sure how it would hold up when stepping on it?

Comment

• I throw a floor mat over it, the kind without spikes on the bottom. It eventually does get beaten through though. I've only replaced it once since I first installed it in 2010 or so. And I drive my car A LOT, practically year round.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I would love to get some of the heat out of the car, but for now, I'll have to deal with it. I'll be drinking lots of water for sure.

The trans brake works flawlessly! I did a few launches just to test. first launch was at 2000 rpm, then 3000 rpm, then 4000 rpm, on Dougs concrete pad. Not ideal test track, but its not horrible. MAN-.....The car is a very angry Gorilla!! It launches straight and hard. I took it down the road a mile and back, and it is stupid fast.I was helping on the nova and cobra most of the weekend, so I still need to run the exhaust,change gears, and run some 12 volt outlets. Then .....do I dare say.......it might be DW ready....
                                HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                                DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Working...
                                X