Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 41 Pontiac......"Garbage that barfed".......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    yeah, I wouldn't have taken that as well either... after all, weren't Lohnes and Frieburger both driving rental cars?

Bwaahaahaaa!!!! Touche'!
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• It was all good, Not everyday a guy can get his car affectionately named by "Celebrities"......
      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
      DW- 12,16,17
      "Stay thirsty my friends"
      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• It wont be long now.....
        Looks like the 388 is coming out soon, and one of 2 options will be going in. I started a local machine shop on a sbc based 434 build, back in December. The block is almost finished. But now a hi reving 358 has come into the game. Its a proven 9.80 set up in a 2750 Chevelle. 30 less cubes, but 200 more rpm and twice the horsepower of the 388.

Anyone have any thoughts?
        HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
        DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• Damn! Wish I was closer to snatch up your rejects. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Damn! Wish I was closer to snatch up your rejects. Lol
            The 388 was hurt a week before going on DW. I did get the head gaskets changed, and the scarring in the #3 cylinder from the "washer incident" was pretty pronounced. But the engine is running well-last time at Millan the car ran a easy 11.5, and I never spun it faster than around 5200 rpm. I have someone interested in the 388, so that will free up the car for one of the two other potential engines. The 358 dyno'd around 750 hp at 7000 rpm, on a run dyno. The 434 still needs all the rotating assembly purchased and assembled.
            I am going to start getting the rusty hulk of the body repaired some more, do some more welding, and probably put it in primer. We are scheduled to be at "Meltdown Drags" in July-so I need to get working on the car again.
            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
            DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• Is the 358 an old Nascar engine? The LSR guys really like those, they seem to run well. I know nothing about 434, other than no replacement for displacement (other than boost and N20). Is there anyway to ensure that 358 is in good condition, that may be simpler. How does total cost / time line compair.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• You nailed it Russell. the 358 is a older Nascar engine. It was last raced in competition around 03,In my friend Dougs 66 Chevelle. It was maintained flawlessly. The game plan, (if I choose) is to pull it out of the Chevelle, and pop the pan, do some inspection, and go from there. It also may be too high of compression for any possible street use. In which case, the 434 would be the main player. The 358 has run about once a month since the Chevelle was somewhat retired, so I know its in good running condition.
                The 358 is essentially ready to drop in the 41, and go racing. The 434, will need to have everything purchased. The only thing complete is the block work at this point. So all indicators are pointing to the 358 being in the 41 soon, if the compression doesn't put a hinder on it being a street car for DW. Doug wasn't sure what the compression was, but was going to find out.

And...The 358 is a solid roller set up. I am not sure how well that will work for the street portion of DW.
                Last edited by RAIV70Judge; February 15, 2017, 06:19 AM.
                HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• What about E85 to cool the compression?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Our best derby motor was a former circle track "Modified" car.. Dyno'd around 750 hp too.. 14-1 CR with Dart heads and solid lifter cam, roller rockers
                    Ran E-85 for a long time.. Last year our source went away so switched back to race gas. That motor must run race gas or E85. It ran cooler on E85

Comment

• I had thought a little about the e85. I have very little experience with it. We are pretty sure the 358 is around 13-1 or more, but not sure what thickness head gasket is in it. The engine builder is right down the road, in fact it is the shop that fixed the 388 after the "washer incident". We are going to give them a call and getthe specifics on the 358.
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• Update,-We let the 388 stay in the car and took it to the Meltdown drags. Car ran great, little off pace but ran 5 passes 12.3 @ 109-111 mph. very consistent and even got a picture in the night run live feed with a front tire in the air for a split second
                        Ultimately we changed the rims to the slots, put a Hoosier 29" slicks on the back, and reworked a Holley 750, and added a MSD ignition with a 6AL box.
                        Car ran suuper, and only flung the water pump belt once at 6500 rpm....
                        HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                        DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• i LOVE this car....seriously. although id go for a stout 455 pontiac
                          or a nasty 454 chevy, but thats just me--im a bit weird.
                          maybe the sbc fits in 10x easier too....
                          anyway, again-i love this car..

Comment

• Thank you...
                            The goal is to eventually run a big cube Pontiac, but for now the SBC approach is working and helping to iron out the car. The SBC is using motor plates front and rear. Thats about the only thing I would need to change to run the Pontiac engine.
                            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                            DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• The 41
                              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                              DW- 12,16,17

Comment

• MUCH more "period" looking with the (ansen?) slotted mags.
                                just needs "A/GS" on that B pillar...and 2 feet of lift on the
                                front end, hah hah....

Comment

Working...
                                X