BMW 635CSi + 5.0 V12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW 635CSi + 5.0 V12

Sooooooo yeah. Ever since I've gotten into BMWs, I've liked the 6 series. I managed to get one of the first ones ever built (12/76 prod date) for the american market, and love it. It's too old and original to mess with, no matter how many times I want to. As I said, it's an American market car, so it has these awful diving board bumpers. Awful. I've lusted after a euro car for quite a while after driving one in '10. The euro cars are typically lighter, have more handsome bumpers, and usually have a more potent drivetrain. So, before I came on my extended business trip to sunny Afgh, I made a personal goal of finding a Euro sixer... slicktop (no sunroof). I'm rather tall, and I like my cars to perform a bit, so I like the extra headroom and weight savings. I've managed to find 3 slicktop cars in recent years.. 69 1600; white, 77 630CSi; red, and an 85 528i; white, so now I'm spoiled and won't accept a sunroof unless I can absolutely help it. American market cars usually came optioned to the hilt, so 99 out of 100 cars have sunroofs. Fast forward to the beginning of April, I see an ad pop up on my fave BMW forum for an 83 635CSi slicktop. In white. Hmmmm. It's a running car that has some rust issues, needs a new floor and some love, but it's all there, white, euro, and slicktop. Meant to be. I talk with the guy and we agree to a deal. He sells me the rolling shell, sweetens the deal with inside storage until I get home and come get it, AND some extra body panels, etc. Cool.
    But wait, there's more story...

Yup, you read it right, rolling shell only. I'll need an engine, tranny, and driveshaft to make my dream car go...

Let's go back to this time last year. I pretty much have the monopoly of old BMWs in Yuma, so when I see another, I typically notice and log it away. I'm driving back and forth to work and notice this big bronzit bomber of a 7 series on really blingy wheels on my commute. Eh. Not interested. Too big. Then one day, I notice a for sale sign on it. Eh. Still not interested. About a week later, I'm daydreaming at work and an idea strikes. On my way home, I cruise by the 7 reaaaaallllyyyy slow to check out the trunk badge. 750i. Hmmmmmmm. I make contact with the guy, we put a battery in the car, and we crank it up. 12 cylinders of fury. yum. He had already sold the cats, so it was gloriously loud. Apparently the transmission was toast. Common. I offered him $750 for the 750, and he wanted more. Losing interest....
    6 Months go by, I'm passing the car every day, HOPING that one day it will be gone and I can move on (anyone else ever have this weird emotion?) I notice a NEW sign on it. I guess the spousal unit got tired of the big bomber sitting on blocks in the front yard... For sale, as is.. $100. Done. I call the guy up and tell him that I'll have $100, a set of wheels, and a tow truck here TOMORROW. (I <3 AAA) So I go over that morning and get the wheels on it. I brought a couple guys with me to help get it in my storage unit with some of its' new brothers... Get it loaded up on the truck, to the storage unit, then we push it in. Ugh. Such a heavy car. So a couple days later, I go mess with the car (I just wanted to oogle and stroke the engine...) I start cleaning it, and she's looking pretty okay. I get to the passenger side of the engine and notice the Auto dipstick. I pull it... DRY. Bone dry. Hmmmmm.. wait... No. No way... I go to O'reillys and pick up $25 worth of tranny fluid. Dump one in, start the car, run the shifter through the gears, and I get the slightest of bumps in reverse... 2nd quart goes in, and now I'm getting bumps in all gears, and I can drive it back and forth in the unit. (Outside the unit is gravel, and I'm by myself today, so it's a risky proposition... ) Get the third quart in, and she feels great! I chance it and take it around the yard (open exhaust and all). She's in limp mode, but drives fine, otherwise. Amazing. $100 for an ENTIRE WORKING CAR WITH V12!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I come back a couple days later with more tranny fluid, and pour another in. THEN, I look under the car.. $25 puddle of red. Crap. Then I had to leave for my business trip.

So, I have:
    Car: 1200
    5.0 V12 etc: 100
    Coilovers/BBK: 2000

Engine: It's pretty tight even in the HUGE 7 series bay, it won't get any better in an older smaller car. I'll have to do some refreshing and 'tuning up' so that I don't have weird leaks, or have to take the engine out (for spark plugs) until I have a new one built up sometime in the next century.

Tranny: There are a couple options for transmission, but I don't want to break the bank. There is the v12 6 speed tranny, which is specific, and only about 1300 cars came with it. Probably about $3-5k... broken budget. There's the G265 5 speed transmission that lots of hot rodders like to bolt up to.. well lots of things. There's a whole bunch of adapter plates/bellhousings you can buy.. I haven't found one for the BMW v12 yet, but still looking. MUCH cheaper than the 6 speed, and I've been lugging one around for about 8 years, so I got that covered. Then, of course I could just fix the leak in the auto box and fab that up to work in the 6er. Of course, like any red-blooded BSer with working appendages, I want to row my own, so I'll probably go with option B for now until I can find the proper 6 speed. (and break the budget) But it's always nice to have a project that the spousal unit doesn't have to push from time to time.... yeah.

Driveshaft: Depends on tranny

Electronics: Are going to be a minor bear. I can pull all of the electronics out of the 7 and put it in the 6er, but that includes BOTH ECUs, and a bunch of other crap I don't need. I may try to MegaSquirt it, that could open me up for mods later. (later engine 5.4l hybrid motor)

Exhaust: custom, my welding skills put to the test.

Tranny/Engine Mounts: Custom. Some people have done this before, so I'll plaigarize.

Suspension/Brakes: I also bought a set of eleventy billion way adjustable coilovers (so I can tune the ride height in JUST right...) and a pretty new Big Brake Kit (bolt on stuff from 750, it works awesome in my 5er.) Also, since the engine takes up so much room, I'll need to switch from Hydro boosted brakes (yuk) to vacuum boosted brakes. Basically a remote mounted vacuum booster from a newer 5 series BMW

Body: I'll have some rust cleanup to do, patch panels shouldn't be too expensive, and I'll do the welding, so I get to cheat there.

... and last but not least,
    Wheels: I'll be looking for some 17" BBS RKs for this car. I've seen them on Mustangs before, so I know you know what they look like.

Soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll do so.
    Well that wasn't too hard. There's the roller and an e24 with BBS RKs, and "coilover" ride height. Sexy, huh?

Awesome, Can't wait to see how this works out.

I also hate sunroofs.
    I'm still learning

Comment

Always liked the look of a well done BMW.
      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
      DW- 12,16,17
      "Stay thirsty my friends"
      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

V12 in an old 6-series would be awesome ... waiting for updates!!

cheers
        Ed
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

more, more. more, more, more, more........
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Wow you are a glutton for punishment. I applaud your ambition.

Totally dig on the boat motor sound of the 12 with open exhaust. I wonder what it would sound like with the pipes merged and then split at the rear with no mufflers or cats?
            Thanks for the write up. I had no idea 6ers were available without a sun roof. Makes me want to weld up mine.

Steve
            Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
              Electronics: Are going to be a minor bear. I can pull all of the electronics out of the 7 and put it in the 6er, but that includes BOTH ECUs, and a bunch of other crap I don't need. I may try to MegaSquirt it, that could open me up for mods later. (later engine 5.4l hybrid motor)

This is by far the best thing you can do. It kills a ton of headaches you will have once you try to make that v12 breath better. I've always had a soft-spot for those BMWs. I would love to have one with a S85 V10.
              1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
              1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Welp. That didn't take long... I was searching around for transmission adapter plates, whole wrecked cars, loose trannies (waaiiittt...), nothing much. Then I found the BMW PN, and a dealer that had it for sale. Emailed my favorite parts guy and he pretty well matched the price. So, do I search and search (who knows how long) for an unknown history rare transmission and maybe get it for $3k... Oooorrrr, get a freshly reman'd one from BMW. For $6k. Budget = blown This is ultimately what I want, the v12, 6 spd Sixer. Why settle? Why do fabrication twice?

Comment

The styling on these cars (6 series) are just as beautiful as a muscle car. I love the sound of a v12 but man, I agree with Steve, your a glutton for punishment on putting the 12 in there. But I'm glad you are.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

It's easy to spend someone else's money while chasing the cool factor. I'm too cheap. If this was mine it would be re-wired with an aftermarket harness, and an american v8 / 5 or 6spd manual transplant., but I'd do the same thing with an E-type Jag.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Well first of all, its very cool to see other BMWs on here another e24 no less. Yours is the white one in the picture correct? very nice find its an early euro with the zender sides and slick top, very rare find. Looks like its in good shape. Also if those wheels are real alpinas they are worth a pretty penny and also rare. Not a big fan of the RKs myself I prefer the mesh or a lot of spokes but to each their own.

Even your 750il seems to be the e38 not the e32 I imagined for $100.

Now that engine swap, I applaud you for being so ambitious and really want to see it done. but a swap like that would scare me. I hope you don't mind me saying but if it were my money id go megaquirt and save use a different tranny. I think there may be a 5 speed or 6 speed out of an e39 that is more common and easier to bolt up.

Anyhow awesome build I will be following along. oh what is the BMW forum you frequent?
                      <3 RAF

Comment

I've done it

Comment

Looks full..

Comment

nice.
                            I see you got a real drain plug in there.

There is an ac schnitzer coupe that parks near my subae, thought nothing of it, seemed very small, slammed to the ground.

..until is started. Very impressive sound. Don't see many around here.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 22, 2015, 03:44 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

An engine swap I had never thought of. I'm watching this one carefully.
                              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                              X