Low buck 68 LeMans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low buck 68 LeMans

It was a beautiful day today, so I started on this thing. First thing, I hate mice, second thing, this just might be the least rusty A body I have. After yanking the poo infested interior and cleaning the detritus left from sitting since 1976, the floors are surprisingly intact. Less than 2 square feet of metal will be needed to patch them. A nice change from massive rust repair. I like the ratty look, so I will bump some dents, clean it a bit, and maybe never touch the body again. Uglier can be more fun, and this is a build more in line with RoadKill™ than some I have done already. At most it might end up satin black.

Drivetrain choices are open, I have three virgin 400 blocks, and two 30 over, a 455 that needs a sleeve, and a 455 foged rod shortblock in the works for $1000. A pile of heads, and I brought my 850 Demon E85 carb and a torker II intake with about any cam I feel like round out the top end. There are a bunch of th350s, a 2004R or seven laying around, and I can scrounge a Th400 if Ireally feel the need. There is an 8.5" G body posi rear with 3.08 gears sitting here that could have the backets swapped with the 8.2" for laying the power down.

This is a low buck, nearly every expense spared, get it done, form follows function, take it into Lincoln and end up on 1320Video, rat machine. I'm rebuilding the drum brakes rather than putting discs on it, that's how cheap I'm going. It's all reworked or rebuilt crap I have laying around, only buying things I have no other choice about.

Last edited by Thumpin455; March 29, 2020, 11:40 PM.

Awesome start! I vote TH350 since you have 3.08s
    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Probably th350s since I have the drive shafts for it. Maybe an OD, but cheapest is the venerable Th350. Will have more pics to post later today. It's a rather solid car for $300 and sitting for over 30 years.

Comment

Is there something wrong with the front end or is it just the camera angle that makes that left front look funny?

Comment

It has some bent parts, not a problem I have spares.

Comment

I like the look, id just leave the exterior as is, or flat clear over whats there.

and 300 bucks? good lord, around here you cant buy the door for 300
            Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

It's in the shop, still cleaning the mess that was in there, and everywhere around it too. Brake parts are in, next I need to order engine parts, suspension rebuild stuff, and get a block in to be bored.

Comment

Started pulling it apart, yanking the front end to facilitate rebuilding the front suspension and brakes. Needs all new bushings, and if it needs a control arm or something, I have plenty of them here.

The floors have some rust, but it's lighter than the 70 or either 65, very yeast to patch, don't need to buy anything. Dash is torn up, but I don't mind so much. Its a speed machine, not a trailer queen.

Comment

looks like a trailer queen to me

Comment

I know, this thing is show car clean compared to the 65s I have.

Comment

Progress for this afternoon. It's nice knowing these things inside out. Ordering suspension parts tomorrow, then cleaning the brake lines. I have a secret weapon for this one...

Comment

I'm wondering what transmission this car originally had, being a 68 I'm thinking Powerglide?
                        Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                        1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                        1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Sell the g-body 8.5" for $800-1000 and buy a 12 bolt that will bolt in with the gears you really want.

Great car, lots of potential and I'm sure your talent will get it there.
                          Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Not sure if it was a two speed, if it was it would be the ST300 rather than the glide. Started making a bumper mold to drop some weight from it, will finish it up tomorrow or the next day. Need to get some more resin. Going to do the hood for sure, maybe the fenders too, and the wheel wells because I don't want anyone being able to tell its lightened.

Comment

Decided to pick up an 8.2 posi, they're only $404 through Summit. The 8.5 is going in the Ventura. Yard crawling with Scott today, then picking up more mat and resin.

Comment

Working...
                              X