No announcement yet.

Low buck 68 LeMans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks guys, and you're welcome Scott. I like transmission work. Made it safely, long damn drive with three vehicles running together. Got here about 0630 and started killing skeeters, then unpacking. Need to make parking spaces, too many cars. Also checked the 65 GTO out, fender and top of the c pillar took the hit, can fix it. Need a shop.

Comment

• Have a idea for this one. Zip tie drags in September. Outside St. Louis, so not too far away for me, think it'll pass for a $3000 build?

Been a long time since I posted about the 68. I did some work on it other than pulling the heads for the blue GTO. I'll post pics later, once I get back to work on it.

Found a cam I want to run, it's bigger and needs more stall. Just might borrow the 3.42 12 bolt from the 70 too, no E85 available where I live, but I can get a barrel easy enough. It's getting some ported 670 heads I have laying around, should run hard with them.

With slots

With the cheap wheels I ran on the GTO last year

Comment

• Here is the low buck 400 with some old small chamber heads I have had for a couple decades now.

I kinda like the slots.

But I kinda like these on it too.

Now to edit all of these so the pics show up, and I'll just leave the PB links there because screw em.

Comment

• Slots!

Comment

• Definitely slots

Comment

• Yeah I like the slots, but they need tires. Have two sets of Centerline auto drags now as well. They look kinda cool on this body style, and some of the 5 hole Centerlines, champ 500s I think they're called. Well anyway, it should be running tomorrow, have all the stuff it needs now. Fresh oil, belts, and some small stuff. Needs a radiator, so need to find one in my stash that doesn't leak. Im not buying one for it yet, since it will be next year at the earliest before it becomes a driver. Might get raced yet this year, time will tell.

Comment

• I done screwd up. Not sure how, but the head gaskets didn't work for me so I pulled the heads again, they weren't Felpro or Victor, but I figured why not give them a try since they're sitting around. Well this is why. Swapping the spare set I have sitting around on there, and the head slipped out of my hand putting a crease right down the middle of the ring seal on number 7. Having never done that before, I must be getting old and decrepit. So the LeMans sits in the shop for another day until I can get the gaskets from Napa tomorrow, well actually later today.

Just for fun here it is the day I pulled it home in Nebraska...

Comment

• I picked up a set of heads for this thing, moving the cost to $3900 once I remove all the stuff that the old heads entailed. Found cheap headers to go with them, because they are round ports. Its all going together over the winter, and I hope to drive it next summer. I have been thinking about making it look like a 1980s era street freak, gold valve covers, Champ 500 wheels, a big yellow Accel coil on the firewall, but not actually hooked up because those things suck. Make it look like it was pulled out of a barn and gotten running again after a 30 year slumber. So finally a use for all that crap I still have from way back then.

I'll make it legal to drive, pass tech at the track, and see what it runs on the strip with a 400 and 3.08 gears. I suppose I could put the 12 bolt from the 70 under it, and put this 3.08 under the 65, but that extra $1000 puts me over the budget before I buy a couple of drag radials. This thing is going to need them. I wonder what it weighs..

Comment

• I didn't mention the used heads are aluminum... It will run on pump gas or E85 now so I can move it around without using all my GTO fuel. House is finally moved and mostly livable, so I can get back to the car stuff. This one is short list for a driver summer 2020, we'll see how far I get on that. At this point without the alignment being done, and too low of a stall, this thing is slightly scary, need to run the valves again but it thumps. It actually has an exhaust system under it too.. well, sorta. two 4 ft lengths of 3" pipe and a Summit Turbo muffler that was under the 70 GTO for years and then under the 76 C10 until recently. I have been getting the Jones to get back into the car stuff.. I can finally see it happening.

Comment

• 2020 has sucked major ass. Just two months left for it to get worse. Can't get cars legal unless I already had plates on them so I can renew them online, the state is still closed down. I got it running good, did some work on it over the summer and man does it rip. Problem is, nobody to race and nowhere to race them anyway. Had to rework the brakes, the pushrod was too short and in the wrong hole on the pedal, put it in the top one and made it the right length now this thing stops great despite having 4 wheel drums. It even does power stands, something it would not do before because the front brakes didn't hardly work at all. I could have driven it in July, no reason to and can't get plates. If she ever opens the state again, I will get it legal, along with all the others I have around here.. at least a title in my name if nothing else.

Looks like I am a month early on the yearly update on this thing. I made some video of working on it though, that is in the works. I took a shot of the drivable toys earlier this summer, I think it came out nice.

Comment

• Its no longer low buck... but if the engine comes out, its low buck again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	910.0 KB
ID:	1350994

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	1350995

Name: