Low buck 68 LeMans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
    I have three sets of 6X sitting here, might as well use them.
    Every time I say something like that I end up with a set of fully machined heads sitting in the corner. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Motive View Post

Every time I say something like that I end up with a set of fully machined heads sitting in the corner. Just saying.
      I have enough engines to build it wont hurt to have a set of stock port 6X, ported 46 with bigger valves, and whatever else I can scrounge. Im looking for more 72cc heads to fill out my collection, they run between $150 and $400 a set before being rebuilt. Have three or four 350s to build, five 400s, and a 455 block sitting here, I'm a little short on "good" heads since I have four sets of 1972 heads that are missing the end bolt holes. Any heads I have done will be used on something.

Dropped off 6X big chamber heads today, valve job, springs, and whatever they need, but no port work. I'll send a set of 46 to Canada for a CNC port and bigger valves.

Comment

Prices on e-bay appear to be all over the chart for a decent set of 72cc big valve heads. Have you decided on a cam profile yet?

Comment

With stock ports it won't be huge, somewhere in the 232-240 @ 050 range seems to work. I don't shop ebay, my Pontiac network is huge, I can get a set of 62 heads for $600 ready to bolt on, or some ported 455 HO heads for $1800 that would really wake up the domed slug 400. For now dirt cheap works. I can put ported heads and more cam in later. Looking through cams a Thumpr has the intake duration I want, don't care if it sounds mean as l8ng as the power is where I want it. I like dual pattern cams in my 400s. Have a while to decide, will be next month before I can order the cam. Thinking about these.

Free Shipping - COMP Cams Thumpr Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ Classic Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

With ported heads the XE284 would work.
          Free Shipping - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

The RAIV copies would work with ported heads, but everyone wants more for them for some reason.

I have the Summit 2802 in my 65 GTO with ported low compression heads, with headers and a good carb it will run great. Its cheap, but still a tad small for what I want.

Comment

For $1800 you're extremely close to a set of these http://www.race-mart.com/Edelbrock-EDE-61525.html

I'm sure you already know they come with a new CNC'd heart shape combustion chamber. If you wanted to go old school e-heads because of your pistons they're even less.

Comment

I believe they relocated the plugs on the CNC'd version also.

Comment

I have a set of heavily ported E heads on my 79 Formula, if I'm going aluminum I'm going RAV. http://lmc3470.wix.com/mccarty-racin...t-engine/c196g

gotta keep this thing under budget, and $3600 for the top end puts it over. Maybe once my shop is built I can throw those heads on something. Man it would be a fun ride in this thing.

Comment

Understand the 5k thing and I'm liking the idea of lightening up the car to compensate. Looking forward to that 1320 video.

Comment

So far I have molds for the bumper and hood, and it cost under $200. Looks like $30 to finish the bumper and $100 for the hood, since the hood mold will work for three other cars of mine. Takes time to do it, but its rather cheap making lightweight parts.

Comment

I've always liked the 68/69 Lemans body style excellent choice of cars to play with. I'll stay quiet now mainly because I feel like I might be dominating this thread and that's not my intent.

Comment

No worries, I need someone to talk to.

Comment

There's not much I can say that you don't already know when it comes to Pontiacs. My thoughts on the body is it's going to hook better than a leaf spring car and have less flex with a full frame.

Comment

If the front end is light enough, and the rear doesn't squat then wheel hop, it should run good and hard. Could never get the 70 to hook, way too nose heavy. Plan on changing that with this one and the 65 LeMans.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                              With stock ports it won't be huge, somewhere in the 232-240 @ 050 range seems to work. I don't shop ebay, my Pontiac network is huge, I can get a set of 62 heads for $600 ready to bolt on, or some ported 455 HO heads for $1800 that would really wake up the domed slug 400. For now dirt cheap works. I can put ported heads and more cam in later. Looking through cams a Thumpr has the intake duration I want, don't care if it sounds mean as l8ng as the power is where I want it. I like dual pattern cams in my 400s. Have a while to decide, will be next month before I can order the cam. Thinking about these.

Free Shipping - COMP Cams Thumpr Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ Classic Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

With ported heads the XE284 would work.
                              Free Shipping - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

The RAIV copies would work with ported heads, but everyone wants more for them for some reason.

I have the Summit 2802 in my 65 GTO with ported low compression heads, with headers and a good carb it will run great. Its cheap, but still a tad small for what I want.

Out of curiosity, how come all these cams have over 230 duration, but under .500 lift? Do Pontiacs have problems with higher lift with these duration numbers?
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                                Out of curiosity, how come all these cams have over 230 duration, but under .500 lift? Do Pontiacs have problems with higher lift with these duration numbers?

Probably the same issue with lifter bore's breaking with too fast of a ramp on the cam. They appear to be mostly unsupported like the Buick's.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X