No announcement yet.

Low buck 68 LeMans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No reason to doubt your homework here, prefer to learn rather than see who has a bigger dick. Save that shit for the dickheads.

Comment

P.S. I'd offer up this set of 13's I have sitting here but I know I'll probably need them down the road for another engine. Like you, I like running a lot of compression.

Comment

One more for you Todd. I don't know if this will help or not but back when I lived in MI I got allot of high performance Pontiac parts from a guy that owns Carquest on Richfield Rd. out in Flint. Him or his dad use to dragrace Pontiacs and he had a nice little stash.

Comment

I can find parts easy, even RAIV heads are easy to find, just expensive. PY has plenty, and Facebook got me ten guys wanting to sell heads in an hour. I have a Summit 2802 cam on the way, cheap and kinda mild, but will work with the 3.08 gears I have for this thing.

Bottom end is machined, cost a little more than I expected but I have everything to put it together, and ordered the cam and gaskets last night. $1750 for the entire bottom end including the cam and lifters, so it's less expensive than buying a crank kit and getting the block machined. A 461 crank kit for a 400 block is $1600 all on its own. Leaves some wiggle room for heads, but I can use heads I already have too. The heads I eventually use will go to SD if I have them ported, $1400 for 250cfm isnt bad at all. Looks like it will come in around $4500 all up if I get some heads ported. Still looking around for ported small chamber heads if I can get them cheap.

Picked up a bundle of fiberglass fence posts, looks like they will work. I'll probably start on the bumper then the hood today, the hood mold needs a trim and a little work with wax, but it's done enough to pull a hood from it. The bumper mold is good to go, and even if thats the only glass piece I use the weight savings on the nose will help this thing hook. Eventually it will get the fenders done, but I have other stuff to build this winter so it will most likely get stuck back together so it can sit outside.

Moar pics later.

Comment

Differential and brake fun.

Comment

Big squeeze and some home made fuel, I'm liking this.
              Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
              1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
              1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

I've ran summit cams once or twice and had good luck with them. Where's a shot of those pistons?

Comment

Had a Summit cam in my '73 Monte. Worked just fine.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have a summit cam in my mustang. When we degreed (?) it, spot on.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I put one dot to dot with a good chain & gears in a 351c and it ran better than expected.

Comment

When I get it back from the machinist I'll post a shot of the slugs. I've run the Summit 2802 in other 400s, it's in the 65 GTO's low compression 400 with ported 5C heads which should have the 2801 with manifolds rather than headers, so im putting headers on the 65 this summer so I can drive it. The 68 is definitely getting headers, this isn't a cruiser. If I get it light enough, get it to hook, it just might be the car that gets all my big engines. I like full frames so the LeMans I have will probably become the fast ones.

This cam is only a couple degrees smaller than the RAIV, it's not a wimp cam, but it's the smallest I will run in a 400 or larger.

Comment

Long day.It's January and it was mid 50s today, and has been. Wtf? Make hay when the sun is shining, so I've been kicking ass and getting things done. Theres no pic of it, but the primer is on after a 12 hour day. I hurt everywhere. Here it is right before I shot it. The $16 HF pos HVLP actually shot rather well. Color me surprised. Used about a quart of primer, tomorrow it goes satin black. Cheap tractor enamel with a hardener is my weapon of choice.

Comment

Sorry if I missed it, but are you no longer in the UP of Michigan?
                            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                            DW- 12,16,17
                            "Stay thirsty my friends"
                            The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Renting shop space in an undisclosed location. Since the weather is freakishly nice here, I got something done. Check it out.

More to come, weather is supposed to be good all week.

Comment

Looking great!

And I love me some slots. Do want.
                                Local person
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X