71 Ventura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 Ventura

Dug this one, and four engines out of the shed today. It's not getting painted, not getting made nice in any way, it's getting a big nasty engine, a stall converter, a rear that spins both tires, and some sticky meats. Ultra low buck build, with nearly the entire budget going in the engine, and safety stuff. The side glass is gone so lexan or plexiglass is going in without regulators. Yeah its getting lightened more than it already is. I have 400 blocks and a 455 that needs a sleeve, lots of parts laying around to build engines here, hell a 350 would be crazy fast to throw together, have ten of them.

I think this car should be called Project Cookie Monster in honor of the seat cover. Plus its gonna be ugly and eat up pavement it the way he devours cookies.
    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Originally posted by Stewzer55 View Post
      I think this car should be called Project Cookie Monster in honor of the seat cover. Plus its gonna be ugly and eat up pavement it the way he devours cookies.

was thinking almost the same thing looking in there yesterday. I have an engine plan for this one now. Pulled a 400 apart today, might shove the rods and pistons into another block and see how fast it will go wih a junkyard style engine.

Comment

Love them Ventura's.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Something about an X-body...... they are just begging for some stance and a menacing engine.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I want a 400 4 spd, paint it silver, add some dog dishes. Then go reenact the car chase the 7 UPs car chase. Get that bent '76 Bonneville out of the weeds so we can have something to chase.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Might paint it someday, silver would be cool.

Started researching this thing, mostly what I might have for a rear end to go under it. Turns out it's not an 8.2 like I thought, it's an 8.5 which surprised me. That got me to thinking, because 72s had the 8.5 rear. So I looked to see if it ever had a regulator on the firewall, and it doesn't which means internal regulated alternator. Both of those point to 72 which is better for what I want to do. I have multiple posi carriers for the 8.5 since they came under so many things in the 70s. The Nova site I found says the straight 6 cars had 3.08 gears and I have four of those carriers sitting around, one is leaning against the John Deer A torn apart in the shed. Not having to come up with stuff to make it hook opens up money for power. Engine, Trans, fuel system, brakes, and the suspension looks to be in great shape. I'm thinking 489ci Pontiac with a Th350 behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                Might paint it someday, silver would be cool.

Started researching this thing, mostly what I might have for a rear end to go under it. Turns out it's not an 8.2 like I thought, it's an 8.5 which surprised me. That got me to thinking, because 72s had the 8.5 rear. So I looked to see if it ever had a regulator on the firewall, and it doesn't which means internal regulated alternator. Both of those point to 72 which is better for what I want to do. I have multiple posi carriers for the 8.5 since they came under so many things in the 70s. The Nova site I found says the straight 6 cars had 3.08 gears and I have four of those carriers sitting around, one is leaning against the John Deer A torn apart in the shed. Not having to come up with stuff to make it hook opens up money for power. Engine, Trans, fuel system, brakes, and the suspension looks to be in great shape. I'm thinking 489ci Pontiac with a Th350 behind it.

I will be dumping my 8.2 10 bolt posi when I get my 12 bolt together. It's a factory Eaton type with 3.36 gears. The housing will be useless to you, but the expensive parts will work.

Any one of your post '72 Trans Am rear diffs should bolt right in. They are all 8.5"
                Last edited by Scott Liggett; November 26, 2014, 12:41 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X