'83 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - $2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '83 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - $2000

This is a car that my father-in-law is selling. It's in central Florida, and I don't have pics of it yet. I'll have him email me some if anyone is interested. This car has been in storage for the past several years, but was stored properly and has been put back on the road properly.
    The car has about 170,000 miles on it, 20,000 since the engine and turbo were rebuilt. The car has a little problem running, but it does run. He says it seems to be lacking low end power, and someone told him that it was the MAF sensor. I haven't checked any of it. All belts and hoses are new, it's been repainted recently, including hand-painted TURBO emblem on the rocker pannels and hand-painted pinstripes.
    The interior is immaculate with the exception of the steering wheel. All the rest of the leather was redone.
    This is the 2.3 Turbo. It's the first year of the turbo coupe, so it's not the intercooled turbo. Still a good motor and he got 150,000 thousand miles out of the turbo before it needed to be rebuilt.
    He loves this car, the only reason he's selling it is to make room and because he lacks the time to work on it. If interested, PM me and I'll get you in contact with him.
    I'll try to get some pictures in the meantime.

Re: '83 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - $2000

any update on pictures? would have mild intrest in seeing the pictures to see if i would have intrest in the car. not really what i'm looking for, but you never know.

regards,
    cobra
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Asked him to send me some photos today. The car's been in the garage for a while and it's dusty so he wants to wash it first. I'm hoping he gets around to it this weekend. If I don't get them by Monday I'll remind him.

Comment

post some pics...sounds like a cool car for a DD.

Comment

Ok. Got this email from my father-in-law today:

Attached are 4 photos of the cleaned up T-Bird for your use.

T-Bird Info:

Yr: 1983
          Model: Turbo
          Original Owner: Me
          Miles: 175,000
          Miles Since Rebuild: 25,000
          Rebuild finished in 1997.
          Rebuild included:
          1. Rebuilt engine
          2. New turbo
          3. Rebuilt clutch and transmission
          4. New interior, seats, carpet, headliner, door panels, etc.
          5. New exterior paint ("clear coat" finish)
          6. New exterior pin stripes (painted) and vinyl "Turbo" graphics to match factory original.
          7. Miscellaneous such as, shocks, tires and worn suspension parts.
          Stored since 1998. Recovered in late 2007.

In 1998, when stored, the car functioned perfectly (all systems). When I first stored the car, I would drive it occasionally, and did the routine maintenance. After six months in storage, I stopped driving and maintaining the car. So, no maintenance for about 8 yrs. Bad on me!

When I recovered the car this year, I had it sent to a garage where they replaced belts, hoses, ignition components, a leaking radiator, valve cover gasket, clean fuel injection system, battery, etc. At that point the car was running and the garage had no interest in doing more. So they drove it to my place from Deland (via I-4), with minimal problems.
          Total cost after recovery about $1,600.00.

The following is a list of known, undiagnosed mechanical issues:

Poor low end power.
          Possibly due to: 1. Exhaust system, plugged catalytic converter.
          2. Problem with mass air flow sensor.
          3. Not properly timed.
          4. Turbo
          Malfunctioning fuel gage
          Air conditioning not functioning
          Driver side electric window lift not working

Good news:

No oil leaks. I now drive the car at least once every week (if only twice around the block), and I have not noticed any oil on the floor of the garage or on the engine block.

Based on Ford about 1,200 vehicles of my variety were built in the 1983 model year.

Comment

Wow, looks like a pretty clean example of an early aero Bird. I'm sure those mechanical issues could be fixed up fairly easily. Just FYI, I would guess that those stripes and logos were a dealer add-on, I don't think it left the Lorain plant with those on.

Good luck with sale in any case ...

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
            X