No announcement yet.

'68 Mustang project Trade for VW Type 3 / 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks man, you made some good points on the rebuilding/ longevity part. I also like the idea of the 4BT with TH400 and possibly a GV behind it. I'm reading folks comment about how primitive or loud the 4BT is (mostly the tdi site) but I think it would still be cool in the car, it can't be much worse noise wise than the engine in the yellow car with short 3" exhaust. At least I hope not. Most guys tell me that car is quiet compared to theirs anyway.

I did find the 4BT swap site thanks, as well as looking at the TDI site swap section now too. I like the aspect of 3.9 vs 1.9 but on the other side of that I like that the 1.9 is only 360 pounds. I'm still reading but it looks like the non 'M-tdi' can be done without a lot of electronics if any.

I'll go talk to the guy I mentioned earlier and see what he says. My guess is he'll vote for the Cummins. He just finished putting in a 4 cylinder out of a John Deere into his custom extended/ lifted chassis 60's Bronco.

edit: holy crap what a mess in that picture. That must have been taken right after I unloaded the truck and was rushing to get the truck and trailer into impound.
    Last edited by Dignlif; January 2, 2013, 05:28 PM.
    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

hah - that's breakfast beer she's drinking... her hair is still wet and she's got the "Dammit, I just got up" look on her face. I'm pretty sure it was during the drivers meeting as pretty much nobody is around their car.
      Last edited by Beagle; January 2, 2013, 06:33 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

what about the Jeep Liberty diesels - are they worth messing with? hardly hear much about them.

damned shame we can't get more of the euro diesels over here.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

well I talked to him a little this afternoon and he shot down both ideas...4BT too damn loud/ rattley and the tdi not enough power. He did however tell me there are other options to look at depending on how over the top and/or how much fab I'm willing to do. Turns out he put a 4.5L out of a John Deere in the Bronco and twin turbo'd it. He loves it and says it is getting super mileage and is a freeway flyer. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and will take a notepad to copy down his ideas. I'll start a new thread with the information I get.
          Rich

Comment

1000 Pictures are worth a notepad.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There are certainly a bunch of agricultural diesels out there that could be used, but any of those usually come with a price tag that's shocking, and a weight that's crushing. I hope you will prove my preconceived notions wrong....

I'm still considering dual purposing the falcon - I have a 2.3 twin plug engine sitting behind my shop with something like 60k on it, with the bellhousing and clutch.... run that as a commuter (don't have wiring or computer though) then put the high revving small block carbed engine in for DW man I'm a sick puppy.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

ding ding ding...you got it - the weight is the killer along with the height, at least for a 68 Mustang with factory type suspension. After talking to him and checking out the Bronco I see I'd have to do some serious mods to the front end of the Mustang to take any readily available diesel but the VW tdi. So, it looks like I have a choice of two under powered options (in stock form) for this daily driver/ commuter: 2300 w/ turbo option added later or a tdi.

He scaled it and the weight on the front tires of his Bronco is 3000 lbs, 26-2800 on the rears. I got permission to post on BS so I took a bunch of pix of the Bronco and some specs. I will start a new thread once I figure out how to make all the pictures smaller as a batch. I hate doing them one at a time.
                Rich

Comment

Working...
                X