71 Grand Prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 Grand Prix

It's official. You guys in California make me sick! Look at this-what a car. What a deal.

Re: 71 Grand Prix

I'm wondering why none of you have the courage to fly out and drive a rust free car back home. I'm beginning to think you'd rather deal rusty shit boxes than take the easy, cheaper way out.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      I'm wondering why none of you have the courage to fly out and drive a rust free car back home. I'm beginning to think you'd rather deal rusty shit boxes than take the easy, cheaper way out.
      Scott you are damn right about going out there and bringing it back,I was just saying that to my brother even to transport it, the dough you'd save on bodywork would be worth it plus it seems the cars overall are cheaper.Im doing this for my next old car for sure.

Comment

I have-if you consider Tucson close enough. I have also bought cars sight unseen and had them shipped here. I won't deal with rust repair-period. It still requires a serious leap of faith when you can't just drive across town to check it out. Jumping in a 30 year old car you don't know anything about two thousand miles from home requires a serious leap of faith too.

Comment

"Leap of faith" ;D My RR I bought from out on Long Island NY. I couldnt afford the trip to check it out and trusted the seller.I got extremely lucky.Sure it has some flaws but what 30-40 year old car doesnt. If I had the money to buy the deals I see id be rich. OPPS No Capital ;D

Comment

People from the east need a trustworthy person Cali who will:
            1) Inspect the car
            2) Negotiate the deal
            3) Coordinate the transfer of money and tile
            4) Do some minor maintenance on the car to make it road ready. Fluids and filters, belts and hoses, tires etc.
            5) Store the car until the buyer can fly out to retrieve it.
            6) Maybe, store the cars until enough accumulate that he can negotiate a substantial discount on shipment of the cars back east to a single delivery point.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled
              1) Inspect the car
              2) Negotiate the deal
              4) Do some minor maintenance on the car to make it road ready. Fluids and filters, belts and hoses, tires etc.
              6) Maybe, store the cars until enough accumulate that he can negotiate a substantial discount on shipment of the cars back east to a single delivery point.
              I bought my T-bird with out any of that, just some good pictures and the willingness to eat the cost of a plane ticket. Packed some tools into checked luggage, flew 800 miles to Pueblo, CO. Checked the car out, test drove it, bought it. Did a quick brake check in the hotel parking lot, hit a parts store for some incidentals (brake/carb cleaner, quarts of oil, atf, brake fluid, shop towels and duct tape). Of course it promptly died 10 miles outside of town, haha, but I got it back on the road in no time and was at work the next day (yes I really gambled on making it home 800 miles the next day, just took me longer than expected). Rusted out gas tank was plugging filters left and right, but I figured it was either a pump or plugged filters, so in the next town I bought and electric pump incase it was the pump and a stack of carb filters. Got about 120 miles out of each filter.

I'd do it again too. When I get serious about purchasing a '69 Firebird I can see myself doing the fly to/drive home routine again.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

1) Inspect the car
                2) Negotiate the deal
                I'm betting you haven't asked anyone yet.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

1) Inspect the car
                  2) Negotiate the deal
                  I'm betting you haven't asked anyone yet.
                  I'll be contacting you for the next one Scott. I trust your opinions and I'd love to have that GP but the money is not there at the moment.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

People in the east don't need to go that far west, try the southeast. My last 3 vehicles have been from there and all were in excellent shape. Luckily I have a brother down in SC that can help me out. The last one, a '97 Suburban, I bought at the height of gas prices. 'Burbans were CHEAP at that point, I picked it up for $2700 and it only needed tires but it had about 185k miles. I'd rather have rust free high miles than a low mile rust bucket. Anyway, I had my bro drive it for a couple of months before I bummed a ride off a buddy to get there and then drove it ~800 miles home, trouble free.

Comment

I got my Camino off Fee-bay sight unseen until I showed up at the bus stop to pick it up. Drove it home 500+ miles from OH with no tools. Cali would require a few more days than OH, but if it is in the right place at the right price there is the chance of a Red Ball.
                      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Working...
                      X