Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Ford LTD LX 5.0

Sleeper anyone?

It's in Inyokern Ca. 2.5 hours north of LA I can check it out if anyone needs an eyeball put on it.

Looks pretty clean. That body style was bad for corrosion at the bottom of the doors up here in the rust belt area. A friend had one of these years ago, I had the Canadian only Mercury version Marquis LTS as well. Recently I took a peek at an LTS for sale on the other side of Toronto ... only $1200, but pretty crusty underneath.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Well, this one is sitting in the dry upper Mojave desert. I'd be surprised if there was any rust (other than light surface) anywhere. I can go check it out if anybody is interested.

Comment

I'd almost rather have that than the Crown Vic for a DD, I like those.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I see it, and I can't help but think:
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by 66gg1tnc View Post
            Well, this one is sitting in the dry upper Mojave desert. I'd be surprised if there was any rust (other than light surface) anywhere. I can go check it out if anybody is interested.
            if it's not all that far out of your way.. and what does non op with dmv mean, is there taxes owed..

Comment

DMV non-op means no back fees. You pay the registration, tax title and any other "fee's" Cali DMV decides are due (the state is broke donch'a know ) as you would to normally re-register it and/or transfer the title. If your outta state then you get to dance with your own states DMV. If the seller sells it without a smog cert, then it's on the buyer to obtain one before transfering the title and registration. So if it fails.......but again, if your out of state, then you get to deal with your own smog laws, if you have any.
              Last edited by 66gg1tnc; October 13, 2011, 12:09 AM. Reason: update post

Comment

85 would have fuel injection?

Comment

more than likely throttle body FI, not port.
                  Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

http://www.ltdlx.org/history.html I wanted one when they came out... but they were too rich for my punk a$$.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                      Looks pretty clean. That body style was bad for corrosion at the bottom of the doors up here in the rust belt area. A friend had one of these years ago, I had the Canadian only Mercury version Marquis LTS as well. Recently I took a peek at an LTS for sale on the other side of Toronto ... only $1200, but pretty crusty underneath.

cheers
                      Ed N.
                      just like all the other 70s and 80s EGR tortured.

however nice the 5.0 package sounds, it needs some reworking. A normalized camshaft will get most of it.

I'd buy for around here..try to barter a drop of 500 or so.
                      never seen one.. the v6 used to choke the chassis and owners to death. let alone a v8 puking the same lack of exhaust.

85 is smack dab rght in the middle of an insanely built generation.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Got a reply back from the seller. He won't be home until Monday or so....

Comment

Yup, those were throttle body injection, "CFI" in Ford terminology. Same drivetrain as an 84/85 Mustang or Capri 5.0L HO with the AOD. The CFI and HO didn't seem to like each other, I still remember part throttle surging issues with my LTS, and also the low mileage 85 Capri that replaced it. On the non-HO engines it was OK, I don't know if it was a vacuum issue with the bigger HO cam or what that caused it.

Best fix would be either a swap to carb or the proper 86-up SEFI system.

cheers
                          Ed N.
                          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

This just in

"not even a good old people car"

following

"looks like ass"

Classic sleeper, and now of course, I want it.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                            X