1982 mb 240D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 mb 240D

the term "miilion mile engine" started here in the little mb diesel realm. mechanical everything.
    it is funny, the first of the turbo version did not balance air like this one.

imagine 300k+ miles to go on a mint chassis 100k diesel?

Even a monkey could slap a turbo on and not even have to tune it.

this got my fancy for today.(I am price matching what I offer up my current project for)..

500nM (whatever that is) possible. one day with a mig and ebay turbo.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 24, 2012, 09:57 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

That would be a great car - but that's the small engine - I think it's a 4 cylinder. The 300D was the more popular one.

SLOW that thing would be without the turbo kit it so desperately needs.

That thing is all you man!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      That would be a great car - but that's the small engine - I think it's a 4 cylinder. The 300D was the more popular one.

SLOW that thing would be without the turbo kit it so desperately needs.

That thing is all you man!
      you know, its the same numbers as a 1781cc boxer, horses and foot pounds. Now the boxer was way way under rated simply on the horse side. Add air, sqaure it up..but gas is gas. little is little.

the mb diesel can triple the foot pounds. even the little one is a big one.

it really is my realm to have some fun in. I hope to take at least one on. (I never take just one of the same car on)
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 24, 2012, 09:48 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

I loved that era of Benz, they just looked elegant, especially the S-class. For years I lusted after the 560 SEC's. That would be a nice DD if you weren't in a hurry.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
          I loved that era of Benz, they just looked elegant, especially the S-class. For years I lusted after the 560 SEC's. That would be a nice DD if you weren't in a hurry.
          560. that is a big one.

I was actually liking the 5 and six TD..tuned enough it almost a hint of detroit two stroke..as a four stroke. that makes the 90s merc and onward darn smart on diesel.

I still want to bail a little one out..a true story like a 3 main bearing subaru. The math is there to be near doubled what is written...simply so.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 26, 2012, 09:10 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Barry - if that car is still for sale and close to you - you really need to check it out - non rusted versions of that chassis are getting harder to find. they have flakey AC systems but are otherwise nearly bullet proof - including the interiors. My 95 was a total disaster for me - wrong era of engine - if I'd only known then what I know now! This one is all mechanical.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              Barry - if that car is still for sale and close to you - you really need to check it out - non rusted versions of that chassis are getting harder to find. they have flakey AC systems but are otherwise nearly bullet proof - including the interiors. My 95 was a total disaster for me - wrong era of engine - if I'd only known then what I know now! This one is all mechanical.
              it took the internet to figure that stuff out for me..
              there is something with any diesel, and it is scary..won't mention. but fixable (simply a foolproofing way to kill switch)

I have found several others. I forgot the wheelbase is like 110, simply large.
              the root arches also get challenged..not as bad as a subaru AWD, but same welds result.

the no bullcrap hunt down of a diesel mercedes...and the steering box. No rebuild..pay the bucks for new castings.

I also found coupes, they are not favorites local, they even sell much cheaper, even as errorless door seams. My mig weld awaits...

seems I am not getting ahead of myself this summer, stuff is moving along...got an eye out.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 28, 2012, 07:53 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

You should Gail to help you keep an eye out...

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

that is fake. I can tell.

I found another one today:

$1400 for a nice looking 300td coupe. doors still aligned.

they made less than 100k of those versus 3 million sedans in the same time frame (79-86)
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                    http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3130539067.html

the term "miilion mile engine" started here in the little mb diesel realm. mechanical everything.
                    it is funny, the first of the turbo version did not balance air like this one.

imagine 300k+ miles to go on a mint chassis 100k diesel?

Even a monkey could slap a turbo on and not even have to tune it.

this got my fancy for today.(I am price matching what I offer up my current project for)..

500nM (whatever that is) possible. one day with a mig and ebay turbo.

Buy it and you'll be getting passed by the hippies in their VW Minibus. Slowest car ever built.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      Buy it and you'll be getting passed by the hippies in their VW Minibus. Slowest car ever built.
                      my n/a sube is even less.

say that again after I take you for a ride.
                      being a foot pounds kinda guy..90mph at 78,000 pounds is not a dream.
                      I know the flaws..simple.

that generation was runted by politics, america suffered too. Dieseles and boxers, can't just runt..that means easy to get to normal life.

as factory the 300td is 181ft pounds.
                      I recently found a mercedes site, guy talks as much asI do about errors.. I am more enthused after finding it. even made special tools himself to sell. I did the same about the worlds slowest subaru.

I am stopping myself at 3rd gear and 103mph...two more gears to go for someone else. I got grey hairs that aint leaving. rally cars are for kids.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                      X