X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low mileage diplomat

1978 diplomat 318 - 36k miles
    $2500

I like these, learned the errors. One used to frequent the quick lube I worked at in the early 90s. Similar color. Very good shape. I was in awe, never saw one that stayed together. It was nice and quiet, love the size of the chassis.

My manager and I were enthusiasts, both drove chevelles to work.. we were under there deciphering the only known tragedy: the front ends kinked at the A-pillar.

I stilll remember how easy the plan was to strengthen..anyway, I'd do this in a second, add my modern tricks.
    Attached Files
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

As the owner of several M-bodies, I'd go for it. Other weak points: gearing and power. All of the newer cop equipment will swap into the 1st gen, since it was just a sheetmetal refresh, as well as later interior bits to keep you comfy. Since it's Aspen underneath, which is Dart with a slightly different front end, any engine from Mopar's stable will fit, though RB motors are a bit tight.

That thing is the same color as my first one, a '78 LeBaron coupe. Looks more like the brown '78 LeBaron sedan that I purchased and quickly sold to the owner of the Diplomat site about five years ago. He still has it, last I checked still trying to unload it.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

That is good info.

I have been swapping emails with owner, car came from wisconsin. The guy who has it now is also elderly, wants to sell for debts. He does not want it on the salt roads..

cannot blame him. I have said the same thing after many hours of body work. To have an original like that, I'd be stubborn.

He also told me, he is well aware he has it listed as chrysler, "we all know its a dodge."

he was getting trade offers he did not like, and changed the ad.

I'd do it in a second...just cannot.

The one I serviced, to see that they can be very nice.. I look twice every time I see one. Been 20 something years. A little town called milo maine used to pounce the real cop car versions over the frost heaves. That is when I learned about the front end errors. they all sold cheap at auction. I still liked them. Nothing exactly worked here anyway..
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The K-frames on the AHB's (cops) come in two varieties: Brampton (stayed together) and Kenosha (former AMC plant, possibly sabotaged, known to bend). I can attest to the utter destruction of an '87 Gran Fury AHB that held up frighteningly well...rolled, jumped, pitted against a '75 Omega in a redneck demo derby. If a ball joint hadn't failed the car would've lasted longer. It is difficult to tell where the K-frame came from, but it's known that all Fifth Avenues of that generation came from Brampton..
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
        X