just a diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a diesel

I always find more getting made fun of than the real hunt to get a project going..

this one here, I'd be magnifying glass and trying to fix a pmd/fsd myself: ~~

I would insert picture here, but the nerds who compiled this place can't seem to respect my paragraph spacing.

6.5 turbo diesel, bigger turbo. $1400

this cab size is like a regular bed, but more room given to the driver, keeping the bed short. Always a favorite.. (they don't all need to be Texas ranch size to enjoy a diesel.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 30, 2014, 09:57 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Just needs a PMD ... is that Craigslist for "I know they are 300.00 but I'm not sure that's what's really wrong with it so I'm selling it" ? I'd want to drive it... but that's probably just me.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      Just needs a PMD ... is that Craigslist for "I know they are 300.00 but I'm not sure that's what's really wrong with it so I'm selling it" ? I'd want to drive it... but that's probably just me.
      this place, especially into the woods..its life and death. No bullshitters.
      some famous integrity has climbed out of this place.

I trust what that guy is saying. the other thing that happens here is the swamps, diesels need a good cleaning. The arctic jelly.

my dad has had his trucking career conquered for 25 years here.

I recently found another diesel, 2wd, single cab.. 6.2 n/a unmolested.
      Going for foot pounds as usual, I'll inquire there first.

The .5 overdrive swap and a 2.2 something rear.. its a dream to shift onto top gear at 75 and 1500 rpms, already passing nearly everything. Those chores are easier staying 2wd, down low to the ground as well.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

My thought is how does he know it's just the module? How much is the injector pump? I looked... 600.00. Not the end of the world, but not 300.00 either.

They put heavier springs in most of the 6.5 era , 7.3 PSD, or a Cummins (1000 pound engine!) so lower to the ground may not always be true. My Ford is 2wd and sits as high as a 4x4 of the same era. Rides like a brick. Okay, maybe a 70's school room chair on a brick with wooden wheels. The GMC will probably be a lot easier on your kidneys, A-arms are a better ride than twin I beams in my experience.

SBG has a 6.2 with an aftermarket turbo kit (Banks I think) and turned up pump and says it has plenty of power. I'm assuming he's already done a lot of research on the Detroit, Maybe he'll chime in here. I like the idea of a fully mechanical setup... I'm still giving the 4BT Cummins serious thought as a transplant into a 1/2 ton, 5 speed, Zombie Attack Vehicle. They'll keep running after the EMP goes off.

The Cummins 6 cylinder can be made into a real beast but they sure are proud of them, and I don't really care for the truck that surrounds the engine. Good luck with your hunt!

Comment

here in the cold, we are like the swedes. the v8 diesel is just incredible. I remember starting them at work, on the windy flight line, below zero in the sun.
          of course, military version of same stuff seems to have 100 more foot pounds, no turbo...very stringent upkeep. They are worth more than people do not strive to learn.

the 6.2 has a mechanical, but can be swapped to mimick 6.5, electric rotary.. and computer driven anything is a fun thing , wherever one might be playing.

the 2wd gmc I found is still up for sale. 98k miles. They never even gave it a cold tube out to the fender. My kind of starting point. I learned of the glow plugs, original has an error, especially civilian. Other than that, I mapped out a corrective gear set to match a touring type torque curve, not a screaming mud bogger.

80mph at 2000 rpm..

I had been looking since early 2000s.. fell into the ten geared subaru, was not even looking. It is funny, the final drive in my suby is where the 6.2 should have been all along...and there it is 1781cc making an ass of facts even further.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 2, 2014, 08:27 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

you only need glowplugs on the International T444E if it's below 45* F... or an extension cord and outlet to plug in the block heater. I keep a generator in the back just in case during the winter. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              you only need glowplugs on the International T444E if it's below 45* F... or an extension cord and outlet to plug in the block heater. I keep a generator in the back just in case during the winter. haha.
              today is quite smart. My dad does not even plug in the 550 cat most of the winter.

That used to be one of my chores growing up in the 80s. Incredible pain in the ass, a big cam cummins 350. go to school smelling like ether.

I am still searching around... often. most likely 6.2 or 6.5, either ignored (original) or someone who went guru with upgrades, and wants to pass it on.

That sound in the winter, I am quite serious.. seems all is dying and frozen and still...and here comes that little diesel v8, no worries at all.

Of course old ones, need more attention, long warmups.

that truck I kept hearing in the take offs, all winter.. simply incredibly confident.

Found it for sale, he got the big bucks in it, I should have guessed. incredible runtime. To hear it, you would not think to see those giant treads climbing that confident by sound alone. The turbo spools right in. Large and in charge. ~~

Attached Files
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 10, 2014, 05:05 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
              X