New (Used) Front Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (Used) Front Shocks

I have a Chinese 200cc quad that I've been preparing for my wife, and the front suspension sucked. The original shocks were waaaay too stiff, too ugly and non-adjustable. The reservoirs on them are fake! I scored a pair of good 2006 Yamaha Raptor shocks on eBay and began making new shock mounts, due to increased height and width. While at it, I observed the range of suspension articulation that kept the front end out of bumpsteer and engineered accordingly. My only regret was rushing to weld the new shock mounts on with my MIG; it was very windy outside that day and my garage isn't ready for welding yet. The beads look like boogers and popcorn. Oh well. Since these photos, I've painted the whole thing and bombed around the yard on it. I'm very pleased so far.
    Initial mockup.

Mount fab.

Final mockup with caps on the mounts and a bridge between the shock mounts for added strength.

Anybody else into these? They can be picked up where I live for around $900.00, and the engines are very good Honda clones. As long as you don't mind the PDI process (gobs of Loctite), replacing chains, bushings and bearings, these are alot of fun for the money.
Working...
X