Do you replace tires based on age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you replace tires based on age?

We are trying to figure out if we need new tires for the 65 Beetle project. I have 4 new appearing tires on the car (no spare) but they are made in Brazil so they lack the DOT date codes you would expect on domestic tires. From the history of the car, we believe that it was stored inside and not driven in winter conditions. The little bit I read about tires "aging out" had a lot to do with UV damage which I don't believe has been an issue for this set of tires. I would like to just buy a spare and roll the dice but we are planning Power Tour in this for this year so I am looking for some opinions and logic one way or another. We can get new tires (5) mounted and balanced for under $400 but the 2-3 year plan needs these tires (wide whites) at 160-195 each when we do the paint with color change. we are planning Java Green with color matched rims.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tires java.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	1007213

Name:	Tires.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1007214
    Attached Files
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Yes. Just replace Earl's tires last year due to age.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

None of mine have a chance to get old, they get bald first.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        Yes. Just replace Earl's tires last year due to age.
        Thanks Ed. How old were they?
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I've always heard 5 years...never had any last that long.

If youre going to drive the car, and are dont know the true condition or history of the tires...for piece of mind I would put new ones on.....JMHO anyway...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

VW bugs were cheap cars, and never had wide whites in the old days...so they look really strange on them now. Blackwall would be the way to go, both from cost, and aesthetic points of view.

Are you sure there are no date codes? If the tires were sold in the US they should have date codes, no matter where they were made. 1999 and older are 3 digits, 2000 and newer are 4 digits, first two digits are the week, last digit or two is the year.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              this

check both sides of the tire. both sides have a spot that says DOT, 1 side doesnt have the date code. look at both
              Charles

Comment

After rolling the wifes truck with her in it I'm a little more cautious on tires these days.

Comment

For putting around town, I wouldn't sweat it too much, but for a long distance trip like the power tour, I would definitely get new tires.

The skinnies on the front of the Chevelle are 10+ years old and have plenty of tread. It's garage kept, so there is no sign of dry rot cracks. The belts inside that I can't see - that is what I worry about. Even putting around town, I'm nervous about those tires. A blowout can do more than inconvenience me - it can do body damage or worse.
                  Last edited by yellomalibu; February 11, 2015, 05:04 AM.

Comment

UV is only one of a tire's many enemies. As tires age, the plasticizers in the rubber evaporate. As this happens, the tires become less pliable and the rubber cracks and breaks. Without the "connecting tissue" of pliable rubber, the cords in the sidewall and the belts in the tread lose their stability. If you are going on Power Tour, put some new tires on.
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

all I can say is you usually cant tell unless you deflate them, then bend the rubber as much as you can to see if there is dry rot. Usually dont look bad when they are filled.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        VW bugs were cheap cars, and never had wide whites in the old days...so they look really strange on them now. Blackwall would be the way to go, both from cost, and aesthetic points of view.
                        You're probably right about the period correctness. We are going for a mild custom look though and the wide whites are part of the current thought.

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        Are you sure there are no date codes? If the tires were sold in the US they should have date codes, no matter where they were made. 1999 and older are 3 digits, 2000 and newer are 4 digits, first two digits are the week, last digit or two is the year.
                        Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        this

check both sides of the tire. both sides have a spot that says DOT, 1 side doesnt have the date code. look at both
                        I'll take a wheel off and check both sides but I could not find DOT anywhere on the side I was looking at.

Thanks for all the input guys.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Here is how my luck works sometime: 3 of the 4 tires are mounted DOT info out #4 is DOT info in. The one I checked yesterday was the only one with the DOT info in. Go figure. This is what I found tonight:

Name:	IMG_6820.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	1007493

The money shot (date code wise):

Name:	IMG_6821.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	1007495

According to TireRack.com that decodes to the 43rd week and the 7th year of the decade. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

It is worth noting that after 2000 the number shown above changed to 4 digits the first 2 being the week of the year and the second 2 are the year.

So best case scenario is 1997 (could be 87 or 77). So at least 18 years old. Wow do I need new tires!

​Thanks to everyone for the input. I appreciate it.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 11, 2015, 06:06 PM.
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Wait a minute - you mean tires actually last longer than a couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

Thanks Ed. How old were they?
                              Just came back to this thread.........they were 7 years old. The fronts were still pretty good, but the rears were worn a bit.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X