Do you replace tires based on age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Wait a minute - you mean tires actually last longer than a couple of years?
    I expect I'll either have to replace tires due to age on the Nova and Mustang or do more extended smoky burnouts. (note to self: Mustang will need a posi and some tuning to insure even tire wear.)

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    Just came back to this thread.........they were 7 years old. The fronts were still pretty good, but the rears were worn a bit.
    Thanks Ed. I'll have to rotate mine for even wear once I implement the more frequent burnout plan.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I used to buy new tires every 12 months or 10k miles which every came first back when I was single and one the smokey burnout plan ;)
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

NHSTA says 5 years. now, i would let 5-6 year old tires go. even being a technician that sees this every day on snow birds cars that do alot of sitting.
        you have to remember that most tires when they are installed are already almost a year old. considering the time it takes from manufacture, to distributor, then to warehouse, and to installation. just something to keep in mind. the older the tire is the more susceptible to belt separation or tread separation they are.

we just put a set of some gaudy ugly ass white wall with a gold stripe in them tires on a Cadillac eldorado convertible three days ago that were already 2 years old off the truck.
        Last edited by Techmarcb; February 14, 2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I like your bug. Im not really into them but it looks sharp.

Comment

I found out a few years ago what can happen with old tires. I was doing about 70 on the freeway in the Montego on it's 14 year old T/A radials and the tread on the left front separated from the carcass. It didn't go flat but whacked the crap out of the fender hard enough to knock the side marker loose. So it's not just replacing a blown out tire but the damage it can cause when it comes apart.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Techmarcb View Post
              NHSTA says 5 years. now, i would let 5-6 year old tires go. even being a technician that sees this every day on snow birds cars that do alot of sitting.
              you have to remember that most tires when they are installed are already almost a year old. considering the time it takes from manufacture, to distributor, then to warehouse, and to installation. just something to keep in mind. the older the tire is the more susceptible to belt separation or tread separation they are.

we just put a set of some gaudy ugly ass white wall with a gold stripe in them tires on a Cadillac eldorado convertible three days ago that were already 2 years old off the truck.
              Thanks for the insider insight! For now we are going with the cheap black wall tires. I'll keep an eye on the mfg date.

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
              I like your bug. Im not really into them but it looks sharp.
              Thanks. We're pretty happy with it so far.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I have replaced BFG's based on age. But, living in Southern California has far more hot dry days as Minnesota does. When they start showing cracks, I say it's time to replace. That said I have driven on 25 year old tires. I wouldn't drive on road trips like that.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  I have replaced BFG's based on age. But, living in Southern California has far more hot dry days as Minnesota does. When they start showing cracks, I say it's time to replace. That said I have driven on 25 year old tires. I wouldn't drive on road trips like that.
                  my eyes are going out on me and I thought you said "I have replaced GF's based on age" which I thought was a little heartless. eeek. Carry on.
                  Last edited by Beagle; February 19, 2015, 07:13 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                    I found out a few years ago what can happen with old tires. I was doing about 70 on the freeway in the Montego on it's 14 year old T/A radials and the tread on the left front separated from the carcass. It didn't go flat but whacked the crap out of the fender hard enough to knock the side marker loose. So it's not just replacing a blown out tire but the damage it can cause when it comes apart.
                    Had one do this and beat a dent in the rocker area of the right front fender. Went to get the spare out and had none. ( was a station wagon with it hidden inside a interior panel) We had to nurse it another 60 miles.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

my eyes are going out on me and I thought you said "I have replaced GF's based on age" .................n.
                      some junkies have all the luck

Chris, glad to hear you're changing those G/damn tires, I've heard scary stories about good looking, old tires on restored cars which resulted in disaster like here (http://www.loveburkeliving.com/tires.html)
                      a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj View Post

some junkies have all the luck

Chris, glad to hear you're changing those G/damn tires, I've heard scary stories about good looking, old tires on restored cars which resulted in disaster like here (http://www.loveburkeliving.com/tires.html)
                        Yikes! I know we'll feel better with the new rubber. I should probably check the codes on the Nova tires.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                        X