Water Injection under a Holley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Injection under a Holley

Is there anyone here using water injection that is being sprayed into the intake under a Holley (or any 4bbl)?

I am about to fit my kit, but am not sure how far below the nozzle should be.

I posted this on Snow's site, but so far have not (and may not) reply. :-\

I have a Stage 1 N/A kit.
    I have a question about the iinstallation of a single nozzle is into a Victor Jnr intake manifold below a Holley 4 bbl carb.
    :?:
    How far below the carburetor base should the nozzle be for best atomization, and without water pooling on the underside of the carb? (Is that an issue if it's too close?)

This picture gives a good view of the intake.

I am intending to mount the nozzle in the central location between the left and right intake runners.
    I just wish to know how far below the carb is recomended.

Also, I have intentions of mounting the nozzle on the rear (secondary) side of the carburetor.
    Is this preferred, or is the front (primary) side the best side?

Anyone here with experience with this stuff?

Re: Water Injection under a Holley

I don't have any hands on experience,but a friend made his own kit using a Nitrous plate and fuel selenoid.You would thnk it would get more evenly displaced than just a single nozzle.

Comment

10secVega is correct.

A nitrous plate w/multiple nozzles/discharge-ports around its inner circumference.

What will you use as the intiator? RPM? Vacuum?

Would strongly suggest using a progressive controller.

The most capable user-friendly progressive controller is at: www.coolingmist.com

They have the most-scienced-out components of any kit we've seen.

They'd have every component you'd need, minus the nitrous plate.

And, they've got an awesome stealth trunk-mount reservoir! ---------------- 8)

Comment

I don't have a progressive controller. Apparently they are available with Snow now, but not when I purchased.

I can't fit a plate under the carb because of hood clearances, but this may be answering my question regarding the proximity of the nozzle to the carb base-plate.
        I need to drill & tap my intake and I didn't want to put the hole in the wrong spot. They're hard to move! :P

The initiator I am using is a vacuum switch, and the pump is a 220 psi unit through a 625ml nozzle.
        I'm told this should be good for what I have.
        Here is the kit.
        http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=31

Comment

i wouldn't run the snow controller anyways... I'd try the alkycontrol.com controller. I've put Julio's setups in tons of cars and his controller is awesome. He recomends straigh meth with his, but you can also use water, or washer fluid which is 50/50

Comment

Thanks, but I'll run what I have.

I'm just trying to find out what nozzle location is best before I drill.

Going by Snow's 1" plate, I guess 1/2" away can't be too bad, but it sounds way close to me. The nozzles spray wider than a 90° angle.

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=51

Comment

I was just about to drill a hole for the water injection nozzle, when I had a thought.
              I searched the 'net for tech tips on nozzle location, but no luck on information it seems, unless I have a turbo EFI car. So, it seems that I'll just do what seems logical. -To me at least!

The "typical" location for the nozzle on a 4BBL N/A application is under the carb at 90° to the air-flow.
              The water sprays out in a cone shape with an included angle of about 100-120°.

To me, this just seems like a really poor location for even water distribution, but great for soaking the carb's base plate with a good percentage of the water being sprayed. That can't be good.

I reckon it would be far better if the nozzle were to be located vertically and spray upward. (Even better downward, but physically not possible without major compromises.)
              This way, even water distribution to all cylinders would be greatly improved, and water soaking the carb's baseplate or any other surfaces virtually eliminated, and I reckon the water would vaporize much better too.

I can mount the nozzle there with surprising ease with just a few brass fittings and the Victor Jnr's "air-gap" allows for a hidden installation as well.
              If it doesn't work, oh well, 1x NPT plug eliminates the installation.

I think I'm going to do it anyway, but I would like some feedback if you have any.

Comment

I'm thinking that mounting it there is going to cause turbulance in the air flow in the plentum. Which could cause poor atomization of the fuel mixture. Not to mention your going to be spraying the water against the air flow which could cause even more disruption to the air flow.

Also that nozzle is going to spray out a pretty fine mist, which I'm sure is going to be sucked down into the motor, rather than be sprayed up against the carb. Not saying it won't happen but the amount that we're talking about is probably minimal.

Comment

I believe there will be turbulance in either installation, however, I feel it would be a much more "uniform" amount of turbulence to all 8 intake runners in the inverted position.

Visialize the suggested set up where a nozzle on one side of the plenum sprays a cone shaped mist to the other side right next to the carb base plate. You can't convince me that that is even distribution to all cylinders, or utilizing all the water that's being injected because much of the spray will pool against the base plate.

At least with the inverted nozzle idea, the spray is symmetrical to the plenum, well distributed against the WOT airflow, and an even amount points to each runner. Pooling would be virtually non-existant.

Anyway, I'm gonna go with it.

Comment

Sounds interesting, keep me informed.

Comment

I have a buddy running a snow system on his saleen stang only he is using a methanol based screen wash instead of water

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop
                        10secVega is correct.

A nitrous plate w/multiple nozzles/discharge-ports around its inner circumference.

What will you use as the intiator? RPM? Vacuum?

Would strongly suggest using a progressive controller.

The most capable user-friendly progressive controller is at: www.coolingmist.com

They have the most-scienced-out components of any kit we've seen.

They'd have every component you'd need, minus the undercarb spray plate.

And, they've got an awesome stealth trunk-mount reservoir! ---------------- 8)

And here is the perimeter-spray plate you can use with H20, or H20/Methanol blends.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                          I believe there will be turbulance in either installation, however, I feel it would be a much more "uniform" amount of turbulence to all 8 intake runners in the inverted position.

Visialize the suggested set up where a nozzle on one side of the plenum sprays a cone shaped mist to the other side right next to the carb base plate. You can't convince me that that is even distribution to all cylinders, or utilizing all the water that's being injected because much of the spray will pool against the base plate.

At least with the inverted nozzle idea, the spray is symmetrical to the plenum, well distributed against the WOT airflow, and an even amount points to each runner. Pooling would be virtually non-existant.

Anyway, I'm gonna go with it.
                          Steve I'm not saying it's not going to work, I'm just pointing out some of the things I see that can happen with doing it that way. Also is the nozzle going to be sitting up that high in the plentum, because if it is did you ever think that that could cause your fuel to puddle. Also and what concerns me the most is spraying the water against the incoming air flow. IMO it has to disrupt air flow, I really can't see where it wouldn't. And one more thing have you even sprayed water through the nozzle yet. You might want to see what kind of spray pattern and how fine of a mist and how hard it is spraying out, to see if there might be any concerns with doing it that way. And then there is the possibility that the nozzle will spray water at the bottom of the carb and you'll have more puddling than if you where to have it mounted on the side. Because when spraying it from the side the spray pattern enters between two of the bores in the carb, which is going to mix the water into the fuel as it's entering the plentum.

And hey like you said if it doesn't work out it's nothing a plug won't fix. ;)

Comment

Thanks for your input.. It's what I'm asking for..
                            Yeah, I test plumbed it and looked at the spray pattern. Just like a garden sprinkler at about 100-120°. The water comes out in a really fine mist, which I feel will not disrupt the incoming airflow very much at all.
                            I do intend mounting the nozzle high up like you see in the pic, so that it covers the ports and all incoming air has to pass through the mist for maximum vaporization.

The only downside to the set up is that the carb must removed for nozzle changes. But once it's set up, it stays as is.

More pics to come.

Oh and the Zex plate, good idea but no adjustability when it comes to nozzle sizes. Water injection spray volumes are not adjusted like nitrous oxide. ;)
                            ..and I have a space issue.

Comment

Here is the nozzle fitted into a 1/2" hose barb with a 3/8"npt thread. Inside that is a 90° push-on hose fitting with a 1/4"npt thread.

Here is the nozzle fitted into the plenum. From the outside, the install is invisable with the exception of the 1/4" nylon water feed tube.

I measured the angle of spray to be 125°. The wire represents the water's angle of spray. It totally covers the ports and is high enough to achieve the maximum amount of distance between the intake valves for the most amount of time to vaporize.

I ran out of time to hook it up and get it to spray for the camera. Tomorrow night perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X