• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Injection under a Holley

Are you going to use Meth or water?

Comment

Just water at this stage. Hopefully, it's all I need.
      One oversight of the nozzle mount I made was the use of brass. Methanol and brass are not good together.
      I think if I want to use methanol later, I will need to find or make one out of stainless steel.

Comment

Could you not have it nickel plated?

Comment

If nickle plating is acceptable, then I guess, yes! ;)

Comment

Steve, I installed one of the Snow kits on the Pontiac just before I did the top end swap and hiked the compression up. We ended up at 11.5:1 (not quite where your at) but found that it wasn't even needed even with 91 octane fuel. It may not take much to keep your BB happy.

I installed two nozzles in the carb spacer. One front and one in back. They spray directly at each other and are 90 degrees to the incoming air/fuel charge.

So far I have even been able to spray a softly tuned (fat) 175 shot of nitrous on pump gas and water. It goes back to the track this Sunday for another bottle attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
              Just water at this stage. Hopefully, it's all I need.
              One oversight of the nozzle mount I made was the use of brass. Methanol and brass are not good together.
              I think if I want to use methanol later, I will need to find or make one out of stainless steel.
              My kit has brass fittings,the Meth has not effected them in two years of use.

Are you going to dyno tune this combo?I would like to see if there is a horsepower difference with the water.I would also like to see you spray Meth and see if you can pick up more horsepower.

Comment

Hey Brian :D, I've run the engine before with flat tappet and it pings a lot on premium. I expect the roller will more so as it will generate more cylinder pressure.

That's good about the brass. It was just something that Snow had mentioned.
                Any chassis dyno/drag strip comparisions would be AvGas verses water/premium I guess, and yes, I wish to do one.
                Might add some meth as well to see what happens. ;)

Comment

I would be intrested in the methanol results as thats what i would run. I like the way you installed the spray head but i have a dual plane manifold which would be so easy as i would need a pair of spray heads

Comment

Hey Steve do they sell E85 down there? I've been seriously thinking about running it in my '71 Camaro.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                      Hey Brian :D, I've run the engine before with flat tappet and it pings a lot on premium. I expect the roller will more so as it will generate more cylinder pressure.

That's good about the brass. It was just something that Snow had mentioned.
                      Any chassis dyno/drag strip comparisions would be AvGas verses water/premium I guess, and yes, I wish to do one.
                      Might add some meth as well to see what happens. ;)
                      What state do you live in.I have a personal friend with a dyno.I would like to see a test between Av gas/race gas.Drain out the AV gas then run water/pump gas.Then Meth/pump gas.

Another question is how are ou going to tune it,are you going to tune it to air fuel ratio?Even if the air fuel ratio is correct how do you know it's still not detonating?

Comment

You can get a knock sensor for it, pretty sure edelbrock make for about $250

***edit***

It was MSD

Comment

I can definitely vouch for Julio's progressive systems. We installed one of his meth systems on an '87 Grand National and made 28~30 psi with a GT70 on pump gas with no ping.

Comment

I wuld really suggest running 50/50 windshield washer fluid in there. water by itself is hurting the power cause you can't burn it. And the washer fluid will cool better than water anyways.

Julio, is the man when it comes to progressive alky controlers I think they even used one in a HR article a few months back. I just love the customer service and the fact that he is always making his kit better, and its already better than the rest 10xxxx. Sorry to keep messing up your thread blackout....

Comment

Originally posted by Rickracer
                              I can definitely vouch for Julio's progressive systems. We installed one of his meth systems on an '87 Grand National and made 28~30 psi with a GT70 on pump gas with no ping.
                              I also run one of Julio's kits,TE61 with 25 psi and zero knock.

Comment

Originally posted by 10secvega
                                What state do you live in?
                                I live in Victoria... Australia! :P

Shell sell "E10" which is a 100 octane, -Research number only, probably a 93 or 94 octane by (R+M)/2 method. I guess the name is suggesting it has 10% ethanol. I don't know if I will use it though. I'm not a big fan of Shell. Their premium is the least best out of the majors..

Using a 50/50 mix is not mandatory to avoid detonation, and water on it's own can vaporize well enough to avoid quenching. Sure the meth will help and add power, but if I can avoid having to use it, I will. -Not to say that I wont be trying meth and possibly liking it too much!
                                Snow also have a progressive injection. I am waiting on a reply which will tell me if I can upgrade my existing kit. I agree it would be a better performer.

I also have the MSD knock sensor. Thanks. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X