cams and idle quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cams and idle quality

i have a buddy with a 68 mustang with a newer 302.(roller motor) his motor is built almost the same as my 351w(roller also). compression is the same,heads, and so on. we are both running the same cams and his motor idles much harder than mine. can anyone tell me why.

ps this sight is cool, iam learning lots-lets keep it up. thanks
    -vic

Re: cams and idle quality

Larger engines can handle 'wild' cams better than smaller engines. Hence they sound a bit milder.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

do you now why this happens. and are others(chevy, moparts-just kidding) the same way?

Comment

It's like that with every engine.
        I really can't explain in detail why this is, simply because I don't know, but I think it must have something to do with the volume of air and fuel being used in the burn-process compared to the valve-lift and timing being the same, compared to the smaller engine...

(how does that sound? ;) )

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

??? ??? ??? i just thought i was crazy when i installed the same cam and it idled much smoother.

Comment

I've been told it's the stroke, and it kinda makes sense.

Comment

The bigger the dude, the bigger the lungs. . . :D
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

As I understand it, stroke is not the reason. Think of it like this; the overlap of a camshaft is like a 'hole' in the intake system. The engine is sucking in some exhaust instead of all fresh fuel/air mixture. This hole weakens the pull on the carburetor. It is a fixed-size hole, however. The greater the engine displacement, the more vacuum an engine can pull to overcome the 'hole' left open by the fixed overlap of the camshaft. Thus it works the carburetor idle system better and gets more good mixture into the cylinder. Naturally, then it idles smoother.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

that makes good sence thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                  X