BFG radial T/A's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFG radial T/A's

Any of you guys ever had a problem with these being out of round? I have a set of 275 60 15on the back of my Monte and Im getting an awful shake like out of balance. They were just balanced too and did since I first put them onbut it got worse. They were on 2 different rims and still were a problem.
    Last edited by antmnte; August 13, 2015, 06:17 PM.

be it my own observation.. something is bouncing in everything tires. I can hear other vehicles coming down the road, that oblong tire smacking sound.
    I wonder what it is out there.

my truck is an animal lately, as if to have four oblong balloons for tires... today was the worst yet.

bfg is good.. take it to 80, smooth out nice.
    wait for the east u.s. chemical bomb to clear out, tires go back to normal.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 13, 2015, 06:30 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I hope they don't suck. The old raised white letter goodyear eagle ST tires on my phoenix are way done. So these are the only thing I can get in a P225/70R15 that isn't a truck tire.

Comment

I had one of my front ones (215/65/15) go bad after sitting for several years.

Are they new or old? On our classics that don't see daily use, often the insides will fail or the rubber will dry out before the tread wears out. Also, any tire that has been repaired is more likely to have the chords fail internally, as the nail or screw may have broken some of the structural integrity of the tire.

...but I've not heard of it being a problem with the bfg's.

Jack the car up and spin each wheel/ tire and look to see if it is out of round or if the tread dances around side to side. While you're at it, check the rim for out of true or out of round.
        If the tires aren't old, see about warranty where you bought them.

Comment

I've been using that same brand & size for years. The only problem I've had is that they don't last long. That could be my driving style.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Rims are new but I had the problem with the previous rims as well. I tried the wheels from my other Monte on it which has bfgs as well and are actually older but different size and no shake. Could it be the size ? Is there any problem with balancing that size tire?
            Last edited by antmnte; August 13, 2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

they get old, the tread separates....how old are yours? look up "tire date code" on the internet to figure it out, if you don't know already.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

One of mine started to thump right before the tread separated. But they were 14 years old.
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Bought them in Sears anout 5-6 years ago . But who knows how old they actually are. I will check

Comment

are you sure they are not rubbing when the suspension starts moving. I have those on the camaro as a push around the shop tire and they have to be close on a monte carlo. Pretty sure somewhere in the 215 or 225 range is all that is recommended. We were thinking of going to 255 when we get the new ones.

Comment

im surprised the shop that mounted your new rims didnt mention you had a problem. perfect time to sell you a tire(s). Michelin warranty only lasts 5 years from the date on the tire. (michelin/BFG/uniroyal same company)

Off topic, I had a customer bring in some BFG tire to mount on his mustang. he said, I know they fit the car, I took them off it in 1989... they were made in 84. yikes!! i convinced him to scrap those tires.
                      Charles

Comment

Of all the tires I've owned over the years, the BFG Radial T/A's have stood out for being well-made and long lasting. Once when I had a set that was used-up tread wise, I took 'em out to a dirt lot with lots of smallish sharp rocks and did donuts 'till I couldn't see from the dust anymore...much of the rubber was literally torn from the tire carcass in shreds but the things still held air and I drove home on them. I was looking at a CL ad a few months back that had an old garage-kept show car that still had it's 1970s first-gen-style T/A's on it. I've never had a balance or roundness problem with them as I have seen with other tires.

But anything can have problems. In this case I'd think there would be no substitute for actually jacking up the back of the car, checking runout (slowly) and then running it in gear to the speed where the shakes happen (maybe have it nudged up against a wall or chained to something when you do that). Could be a bent axle, too.

Comment

Dean on here had his brand new BFG's seperate back in 2010 on Powertour. His tires had no miles but were like 5 years old because he bought during the resto of his 71-173 Mustang.
                          Ties anymore once they hit a 6 year date get sketchy. Tire shops due to a rash of accidents and failures won't touch them around here.
                          I'd tall you look for the date code, call a tire shop.

Another thing. Take the car in, have the tire pulled, and put the wheel on the balancer and check how it runs, see if it wobbles alot. A could guys off our GranTorinoSport.org and the Fairlane club of America had issues with repro Magnum 500 wheels being not true and wobbling bad brand new out of the box and it took like 2 sets to get the issue corrected.

Trust me when I say...GET THE TIRE REPLACED.
                          Not worth messing up your car or a possible accident at speed over a $150 tire.
                          Andrew
                          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

There is a smart phone app for checking date codes on tires.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I run em on my 57 Ford and 69 Catalina. No issues here.

Comment

Working...
                              X