help me pick a cam for my combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me pick a cam for my combo

I have a 454 in my camaro. It is new,but it was built for a different car than mine. I took it apart and checked everything before it went in to the car.It has 10.5 to 1 comression, 049 oval port heads and a rpm airgap intake on it. I have a 825 mighty demon carb on it right now. The cam is a comp xtreme energy 262 with .505" lift and 218 @.050 duration. The rest of the car is pretty basic as well. B&M 10" holeshot convertor, turbo 400 with a shift kit,and a 9" rear with a 4.10 gear and a detroit locker in it. I would like to get into the 11's with out spraying it.The car is only a weekend toy but I want it to be a little quicker.
    Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Re: help me pick a cam for my combo

Something in the 235 range at .050 with close to .600 lift....hydrolic I prosume.

Comment

Try this

Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Here's the cam that I put into my 454 that's going in my '71 GMC. It is a nitrous grind but I like the split lift/durations that it has. I've got pretty much the same setup as you, and figure the combo with this cam should be good for 450-500HP, which should be plenty to get you into the 11's.

Comment

my buddy is doing a similar build, we ran a bunch of cams through two different sims (ez dyno and dyno pro 2004)

hyd:

sld roller:

11-12.5:1 compression ratios

Comment

The 218 is gonna have way too much cyl pressure for that compression ratio. I'd probably run something like 236/242 or even 240/246 @ .050 on about a 110lsa. fun and quick but still daily driveable.

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary
              The 218 is gonna have way too much cyl pressure for that compression ratio. I'd probably run something like 236/242 or even 240/246 @ .050 on about a 110lsa. fun and quick but still daily driveable.
              I agree 100%

Comment

I went to Rex Hutchinson Racing here in Sacramento for machine work, parts and advice when I rebuilt my 427. This is the cam they suggested, a CompCams hydraulic roller, 11-470-8. I also used a set of Isky dual springs (8005-A) instead of the recommended CompCams set. The Isky springs are 135 lbs seat and 395 lbs open, quite a bit stouter than CompCams (112 lbs & 355 lbs). Rex recommended this to offset the agressive ramp and heavy roller lifters, to help push float further out.

Note that I have this rather lumpy cam running under a 671 blower so I don't see the down side of this much lift and duration while cruising around town. With the blower I get a real healthy 'yakata yakata' sound at about 950 RPM without the rest of the bad behavior. It's really a sweet combo. I have a video with audio I'll attach once I get it downloaded to my pc.

I dunno how this would be in a naturally aspirated build. Anybody out there running this grind in an non-blower application ?

my 2 cents....

Comment

My question for you is, have you ever considered a good roller Cam. I've read some good articles lately and am kind of kicking myself now with going with a flat tappet verses the roller set up. It seems like you need a litl bit of maintance but over all a good set up and better performance.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyT
                    My question for you is, have you ever considered a good roller Cam. I've read some good articles lately and am kind of kicking myself now with going with a flat tappet verses the roller set up. It seems like you need a litl bit of maintance but over all a good set up and better performance.

Mike
                    Mike,

That prolly wasn't directed at me, but I'll volunteer this bit of info. I opted for a hydraulic roller for my build: The roller design allows high lift, steep ramps, etc. (the primary reason you go with a roller cam to start with) and the hydraulic aspect means you don't have to periodically set valves. A nice combination.

However, there is a Paul Harvey moment...

The down side is that you have a hybrid roller / hydraulic lifter with substantially greater weight and mass. I learned *after* I installed the cam that I prolly wouldn't be able to reach the 7,000 RPM I was hoping for with this new build. I'm using a 4340 crank with h-beams, balanced to go um, prolly 9,500 or so, but will likely end up with valve float before I ever hit 7,000, maybe 6,500. Of course, with this street blower I'm not gonna be really winding this motor up, but for a NA build with say, a dual quad tunnel ram or old school injection, you're going to hit some limitations in top end with the hydraulic roller combo. I opted for heavier valve springs to help offset this somewhat, but you can only run so much hard core on the street. Now you know the rest of the story ;D

Another 2 cents...

Btw, here's a short vid clip with the yakata sound I mentioned in my last post.

Harry

Comment

I am very seriously considering a roller.It just might take a little longer to get there.I can justify the extra cash if would mean an extra 50 horse or more.
                      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Comment

Harry

Nice bit of info, but I was actually pointing it out for the guy who posted the question, 82z.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyT
                            Harry

Nice bit of info, but I was actually pointing it out for the guy who posted the question, 82z.

Mike
                            ;D

Comment

You should not fear a solid roller for the street either.
                              I know the myth is, You have to adjust a solid roller it at every stoplight!
                              With good parts you don't have to. If you are constantly adjust it somthing is wrong
                              and the stuff you have is falling aparts.

With good parts you should not adjust more than once or twice a year and expect to thousands of miles on it with no problem.

I drive one of or bbc on the street, it turns 7500 has .7xxx lift solid roller.
                              N/A @ 3500 9's and 145. We adjust it once maybe twice a year.
                              We check it every weekend and before races but, we almost never need to adjust it.

Comment

Working...
                              X