New pistons, old rings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pistons, old rings.

If the clearances come out right, I was just going to change the pistons and leave the rings and cylinders alone.

What do you all think?
    Cognizant Dissident

Re: New pistons, old rings.

It can be done, but I am not a fan of this, even using the same pistons and rings once they have been taken out I would rather file a new set, you never cheap out on cylinder sealing
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I'm just curious as to what could be wrong with the pistons that would warrent changing them when the clearances are still ok. Maybe going to a different compression ratio?

Comment

What would be the point? Why not drop in new rings?

Comment

I don't understand why one would want to change pistons and not change rings? ???

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn -- I say, I say boy . . . somethin' just don't add up. ;)

Comment

If you've done anything more than break the motor in or dyno it I really don't see why you'd want to reuse the rings. I guess I could understand building a motor for forced induction and then deciding to NA or vis versa and reusing the rings if you hadn't really run it but I'd still change them out just because. With such a foundational piece of your engine I wouldn't chance it. Heck even that ultra cheapskate that CC has doing the junkyard warriors puts new rings on the pistons he digs out.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

i have the same question as others, why wouldnt you change the rings at the same time?

WTF

Comment

Why not dig thru some machine shop's garbage and see if you can find some good bearings too?

Comment

I'm putting flat tops in instead of dished. The motor probably doesn't have 500 miles on it.

I was just thinking since the rings already ran on those cylinders why wouldn't they work again?

So, would you rehone for new rings? I know there was a thread about that, but I think there a lot of new members since then.
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

If I change pistons, I use new rings, and hone the bores, regardless. It's cheap insurance. I'd hate to lose a good motor over the cost of a set of rings.

Comment

I was trying to come up with a senario where you hurt a single piston and wanted to simply change out the piston because it was damaged.. and didn't want to get junk in the oil from honing a single cylinder...

A whole set... And I'm laughing because I'm trying to say why not... other then the insurance thing...and I don't think your going to hurt the motor by re-using CLEAN rings in the same bore in the same order...

Think about this....STD is a real race car guy... not a Hack like me.... Re-ringing a motor really isn't an issue... the question is has he got the good out of this set of rings or not? hmmm

Jeff is VERY right about not cheaping out on what keeps Hp going to the back of the car... Sealing is just that important... but would there be a loss of sealing? or would it actually be better based on "break in"... ( which I don't believe in ... but that is a whole nother thread )

STD.... Shoot bud... go for it and let us know how it works out...

Keith ( In Australia... they wouldn't even have asked the question... and would have been pissed at you "not" reusing the rings... ( wait that means drunk... think Mad...)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                        It can be done, but I am not a fan of this, even using the same pistons and rings once they have been taken out I would rather file a new set, you never cheap out on cylinder sealing
                        Which brings us all back

Comment

You know the deal Jeff... lets say it's your car and money isn't an issue... but avaliblity of the parts is.... would you do it?

I guess the point is that we are so used to pitching stuff and going back new... rather then deciding if something is adequate or not...

This really isn't a modular Maintenence debate... but think of it like one.... ( that's where you simply change parts till you get it right rather then doing "real" mechanicing on something, ya know with trouble shooting and everything )

Comment

Hell yes, I have done it! LOL

I have some saved right now got 5 miles on them for my blown alky motor.

Comment

A perfect set of low mileage rings on the same cylinder bore would not bother me at all. They'll be fine.....

Comment

Working...
                              X