New pistons, old rings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New pistons, old rings.

I put dyno only used pistons and rings in my newly bored 454. I'll let ya all know how it works out.

Comment

It wouldn't worry me in the least. Just be careful not to spring any when you remove them and install them. Putting them on by hand without a tool can do this if you are not careful. They should all lay flat, and be flat on the new piston.

I have had rings spring from having too wide of a ring land gap, watch for this too. They need to seat on the ring lands just as badly as on the bores.

Comment

i reuse rings all the time, but then again sealing the cylinder is not as big a deal to me as it is to most of you.
        i look at the side to see how much of the material is worn off, from the bottom on up. if it gets past 3/4 of the way up or it gets sprung, i'll toss them.
        i never use a tool on them, i roll them on and off. i reuse bearings too, i measure them, mark it down in a note book, and write what they are with a sharpie on them.
        Originally posted by TC
        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

maybe we should have said... Customer's cars NEVER... but how bout your own?

Hmmm

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
            maybe we should have said... Customer's cars NEVER... but how bout your own?

Hmmm

K
            i was talking about my own. it's very common on fuel cars to reuse stuff like that. the biggest reason they are torn down so often is to check everything out. if they haven't reached the end of their cycle life they are put back into service.
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I can usually look at a worn set of rings and tell if they were improperly installed by hand.....

Comment

I'm waiting on pistons for now. I'll let you all know what I do.

Thanks for the opinions
                Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
                X