Starter Ring gear interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Ring gear interface

Hmmm well now that it's Monday and I've been able to spend half a day on the phone with engineers in one hand and a Vernier in the other.... here's what I know about this crap...

A. GM starters have 3/4" of throw... or engagement from the static position.

B. Japanese Mini Starters have 1/2" or throw or engagement from the static position.

C. Pinion gear engagement only has to cover 2/3rds of the ring gear to be successful ( I call BS on this ... but they are the engineers who am I to argue with Power masters best? )

D. A Stock starter while heavy... will start a 9 to 1 motor all day.

E I only had one stock starter bolt from the bolt bin at my local parts store... (read the helpless items pre-package for mass consumption) But one starter bolt of the correct thickness is enough to locate the starter fore and aft as well as laterally... so that wasn't the problem.

F. Power master while helpful can't help you if you are not inside the box... they don't have answers for problem stuff like this... cause it's not the exact correct deal... and nobody can tell me "WHY" it's not right...all the measurements are within "Spec" Except the distance of the pinion at rest to the flywheel which is .300 instead of .100 so basically along the with the other culmulative errors the Starter misses full engagement by 1/4"... or .250... Hence the teeth ripped off half of the ring gear...

G. To solve the problem I'm going to run a Stock starter which works "Just fine thank you "... and take my Power master back to the Autozone who has actually been REALLY damn good about the whole thing... ( seriously impressed with them through this gig ) ( I would expect your mileage to vary on this issue...mine always has )

Keith

Re: Starter Ring gear interface

Hey Keith when returning that starter to AutoZone make sure they give you your core and core deposit back. ;)

Comment

On the Power master stuff I'm taking back there is no deposit... the GM starter I had to pay it because I didn't have a core...

Still less then 1/3rd the cost of the Powermaster stuff that didn't work...

Hmmmm

Keith

Comment

So, basically you're telling me that you can build a camaro to run 261mph... But... you can't put a starter or damper in a big block chevy.... I guess thats why david handles everything from the bellhousing foreward....

Thanks, David for making up for Keiths short comings. ;D (I almost feel bad when its this easy...)

Comment

You realize that's going to cost you right?

Ahhh the joy of a moments satisfaction.... ain't Youth Wonderful...

Those of us with old age and trechery on our side... well we wouldn't jump quite so fast at opportunity.... no matter how wonderfully presented...

Keith ( I know where you SLEEP ) ;D

Comment

damn I love stock parts!

anyways, glad to see you got it figured out, and see if you can find a good used old starter bolt or two to replace the wrong bolt and the imitation bolt

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yeah Jim.... I've got two real ones now... just couldn't get them on a weekend at the local wax shops...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                You realize that's going to cost you right?
                Keith ( I know where you SLEEP ) ;D
                And the race director.....
                There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Its ok Turk.....There is one thing dave doesnt have.... A 32 roadster with a bigblock and a do it yourself!!!!!!!

Do I get punished for Daves Idiocracies ??? ;D
                  A wise man once told me if it was easy everyone would be doing it!!!!! Maybe We'll stop by the house this weekend and give you a hand throwing that thing back togther. That is if Dave stops crying about how long the drive is!!!!!!

Comment

What parts are you needing? LOL

Ahhh it's about done... but he is right...the damn thing has simply kicked my ass... silly stuff that oughta be easy...

lots of little things... but that's the nature of building a new car

ahhh life is good...

Keith ( oh and Mike... I've got the twin thing covered... I don't care where you sleep... it's the other ugly one... LOL )

Comment

Keith, you may have the wonderful and beutiful tonya. But I sleep next to a redhead every night +1+1+1 lol....
                      You''ll be ok, really. I told you last night on the phone, You just tossed up a wiffle ball here, and gave me a tennis racquet to whhhuack it with....

Comment

LOL.... life's good... well at least mine is...

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Green Junk
                          So, basically you're telling me that you can build a camaro to run 261mph... But... you can't put a starter or damper in a big block chevy.... I guess thats why david handles everything from the bellhousing foreward....
                          that was possibly the funniest post on here, in weeks!!
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott... I know where you sleep too.... BUT MY SAMSONITE would REVOLT...

K

Comment

I'm not sayin' a word! I know where my used LSR tires are buttered (I love mixed metaphors).

Let me know when you three are done kickin' each other
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X