teflon lined fuel hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teflon lined fuel hoses

Since converting to E85 last year I think its wise to convert my old braided fuel hoses to Teflon-lined units. I am going to do this in the off-season. Since the PTFE uses different fittings, I think I will just send my old rubber-lined units to a professional and have them fab up replacements. It will be a little more costly but I know it will be done right and I they should last a long time. Anybody have recommendations on a company and/or type of Teflon hose to use?
    ed

I'd go with the PTFE/braided stainless. Any Parker or Swagelok dealer should able to fab those up for you - here we have Fensel but most town of any size will have a dealer or two. They'll crimp the fittings on and they'll last pretty much forever. We had PTFE/braided lines that we used for toxic and/or calibration gasses that were in use for the entire time (31 1/2 years) that I worked at EPA. TOUGH STUFF! Just don't bend them TOO tightly as they can be crushed that way.

Dan

Comment

due to proven fails, nearly every auto parts shop silently hands you the good stuff.

I continued to have problems local, with some stuff. shops were still throwing brake lines at people, even if you said you were there for fuel. Be it wood pulp mills, road salt, extreme temp variants, barometers...

solid stainless right out of the tank, or the heavy low side of the system wrapped the chore up good. Just a couple of feet there. the rest uses modern.
      An all almunum block does something amazing here as well. This is while e85 stuff isn't even around yet.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

teflon is teflon, but some are softer and end up kinking at bends, so reroute if you have any or add elbows.

The one thing to remember though, its the teflon is taking up room in the line. On the race setup on the A Fuel Dragster, we took all those braided lines off and went to tubing, since we knew we had the .375 ID.If you have feed questions you might want to go up a number.

Comment

Want to know something interesting? My fuel hoses last year's longer running ethanol than they did running pump gas, and race gas was even worse on the rubber and gaskets. Why go to Teflon?

Comment

How about trying one of the site sponsors??

cheers
            Ed
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Quite honestly I am planning to replace the lines because of articles and blogs that are out there. The lines right now are going on 3 seasons. I realize that E85 is not as corrosive as methanol and I have read from a few folks (like Thumpin455) that say they run the standard braided rubber lines with E85 for 5 years and longer without any issues. Because I am running EFI I am a little more cautious and that Teflon should last forever. I have one in-line filter with a SS-screen (10 um) that I check periodically. I do find very small pieces of black "dust" in the filter. In addition, if the system sits for more than about 2-weeks I will find a gel-like buildup too (although I think that is the fuel, not the lines).

Comment

I went with TechAFX lines. They are a little more expensive than Summit but not as bad as Goodrich or Fragola. Plus their hose ends are black. Gonna cost me around $800 before its all over but they should last forever.

ed

Comment

Working...
                X