Comp roller cam=noisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp roller cam=noisy

New build,355 vortec,itm vortec heads,comp extreme energy 270 roller cam with 1.6 roller tip rockers..This setup has been noisy from day one,I've run a solid flat tappet cam that sounded about the same..I've read alot online and it seems to be a common complaint with this series cam due to the extreme ramp profiles..I'm running oem gm performance roller lifters,should I look into some aftermarket lifters?What brand is best?I guess I should go with comp but I've read bad stuff on them..Do I just get oem replacement ones?Sorry so many questions but I'm hoping to get some good advice from someone who has had the same problem,and fixed it..In an attempt to quiet it down,my builder installed a longer rod and went with more preload (1 1/2 round )..It did not help..With him doing that,that tells me my left Era are bleeding down to fast..any advice??If I knew it was gonna tick this loud,I would've went with a different series cam..It sounds like a bad lifter to me..

Comment

never gone that far on preload, that would remove any pump and oil getting up the push rods. Its like setting lifters without knowing if the zero lash is on top.

Comment

I'd also run back thru the valve adjustments. Also, my FMPP roller rockers on my Mustang ('96 5.8l with Edelbrock and Comp Xtreme Energy cam) are noisy. Nothing wrong, they're just noisy. You might want to do the old garden hose trick (or use a stethoscope if you have one) and see if you can narrow down the exact point the noise comes from. That might help find the cause and cure.

Dan

Comment

Man I've tried everything,the heaviest noise is from passenger side.The engine builder took the engine apart,even replaced a few lifr's and it made no difference at all..And on the lifter adjustment,some builders actually set lash from bottoming out lifter ,up,,,unlike most that set from top down..The geometry is correct as he installed longer push rods..It makes me wonder if running the 1.6 rockers with this cam may he the culprit..I tell ya,it drives me nuts..

Comment

I have a Comp Cam's Xtreme Energy roller in my 350. It sounds like a sewing machine when warmed up. From what I am hearing, it doesn't sound like valvetrain. Get the correct length pushrod, and adjust lifters to 1/2 to 3/4 turn past zero lash. 1 1/2 turns you are nearly bottoming out the lifter which will pop it's spring under the cup. This band aid fix will eventually screw up your geometry.

If the lifters are bleeding out, then get the engine up to full temp, shut engine off, pull valve covers, and push down the lifter side of the rocker arm. If you can push the lifter plunger down, pushing the oil out, the lifters are bleeding down. Replace them. New ones from GM are not that expensive.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lit549 View Post
              New build,355 vortec,itm vortec heads,comp extreme energy 270 roller cam with 1.6 roller tip rockers..This setup has been noisy from day one,I've run a solid flat tappet cam that sounded about the same..I've read alot online and it seems to be a common complaint with this series cam due to the extreme ramp profiles..I'm running oem gm performance roller lifters,should I look into some aftermarket lifters?What brand is best?I guess I should go with comp but I've read bad stuff on them..Do I just get oem replacement ones?Sorry so many questions but I'm hoping to get some good advice from someone who has had the same problem,and fixed it..In an attempt to quiet it down,my builder installed a longer rod and went with more preload (1 1/2 round )..It did not help..With him doing that,that tells me my left Era are bleeding down to fast..any advice??If I knew it was gonna tick this loud,I would've went with a different series cam..It sounds like a bad lifter to me..
              David Vizard recommends that for higher output and rpms to bottom out hyd. lifter - half turn .030" clearance I tried it and was worth a little 400 rpms and 6hp on the dyno
              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Certainly wouldn't hurt to double check the geometry.

I would want to know which one was making that ticking noise, and adjust it. This means let the engine warm up, then shut it off and remove the valve cover from the side making the noise. With a gloved hand or a rag in hand, press on each rocker arm (while the engine is idling) to find the noisy one, then back it off a turn or two - make sure it doesn't pump itself up and stop clattering, give it a few seconds - then tighten it until it stops plus a half a turn. Also, observe how much oil is coming up the pushrods.

Are the valve springs the correct ones for this cam? For the 1.6 rockers?
                New block or used block? Could be an oil pressure issue - is it coming up the pushrods properly?

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                  Certainly wouldn't hurt to double check the geometry.

I would want to know which one was making that ticking noise, and adjust it. This means let the engine warm up, then shut it off and remove the valve cover from the side making the noise. With a gloved hand or a rag in hand, press on each rocker arm (while the engine is idling) to find the noisy one, then back it off a turn or two - make sure it doesn't pump itself up and stop clattering, give it a few seconds - then tighten it until it stops plus a half a turn. Also, observe how much oil is coming up the pushrods.

Are the valve springs the correct ones for this cam? For the 1.6 rockers?
                  New block or used block? Could be an oil pressure issue - is it coming up the pushrods properly?
                  Block was used,when I bought it the rid bearings were toast ,mains also..He is a very reputable builder ,he set everything up so I'm assuming it's all the right stuff..?Also,we ran the lash at 3/4 past zero and it was the same..When he freshened it up he replace the 2 lifters that were bleeding down..THEN he said he had the same problem on a 53 vette he built,he talked to comp and they recommended trying a longer pushrod and more preload,I called comp and they said they've never heard if anyone doing that,but their techline hasn't been the greatest..When I first got the engine (the 1st time),I tried adjusting the valves and couldn't because they were bleeding down so fast..Now with the way he has it with the longer pushrod and more lash,it doesn't bleed down..I'm wondering if I need a comp lifter?My builder says the gm ones are fine but something Def isn't right..Maybe it's just the combo of the extreme series cam and crappy lifters??I'm sure running 1.6 rockers doesn't help either.Guess I'm gonna tear into it again and just replace lifters with comp ones and check geometry with an adj pushrod..

Comment

I'm hoping someone with a lot more engine building experience will chime in, but I don't think its the cam or the grind, because this would be common, and we'd all know about it and how to fix it.
                    I asked about the valve springs because they may be too stiff - perhaps they're solid roller springs rather than hydraulic roller springs. I asked about the block because the lifters may be loose in the lifter bores or something unusual, not allowing enough oil to get inside them.

I had a 350 build that worked great at first, then it developed a smoking problem that got downright embarrassing after a couple years. The guy who did the valve job on the heads only put seals on the intake, not the exhaust. The guy who bought the truck put new seals on the intake AND exhaust, and it stopped smoking.

Comment

Well that's what I thought but I googled "comp xr270hr noise" and there's alot complaining of the same thing..But this thing actually has a knock to it..I'm about to say screw it and take it all apart,AGAIN..

Comment

Block was used,when I bought it the rid bearings were toast ,mains also..He is a very reputable builder ,he set everything up so I'm assuming it's all the right stuff..?Also,we ran the lash at 3/4 past zero and it was the same..When he freshened it up he replace the 2 lifters that were bleeding down..THEN he said he had the same problem on a 53 vette he built,he talked to comp and they recommended trying a longer pushrod and more preload,I called comp and they said they've never heard if anyone doing that,but their techline hasn't been the greatest..When I first got the engine (the 1st time),I tried adjusting the valves and couldn't because they were bleeding down so fast..Now with the way he has it with the longer pushrod and more lash,it doesn't bleed down..I'm wondering if I need a comp lifter?My builder says the gm ones are fine but something Def isn't right..Maybe it's just the combo of the extreme series cam and crappy lifters??I'm sure running 1.6 rockers doesn't help either.Guess I'm gonna tear into it again and just replace lifters with comp ones and check geometry with an adj pushrod..

The company I work builds thousands of engines using factory type lifters on performance cams like Comp's without issue. You may just need a whole new set instead of replacing one at a time.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

.533 lift is way too much lift for a standard vortec head. Retainer to guide interference and possibly valve spring coil bind.
                          Last edited by Aircooled; February 14, 2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I'm afraid he did the spring /retainer kit from comp that prevents ya having to machine the spring pockets..He said he used the beehive springs and that I had plenty of room..Idk but it sounds like anot her vortec I built,I used that kit with a zz4 cam and it sounded just like this one,noisy!Constant ticking..Well after taking engine out 2 different times now,I've had enough of this guy.Last conversation I finally snapped after he started saying it's my fault,I shut him off and told him ok,I'll get an attorney..He started being a little nicer after that..I have almost 4600$ in this long block jacking with him!!And 8t still smokes and just doesn't run right..I think the short block is fine,I may just buy me some new heads!Maybe some edelbrock or bowtie vortecs! ???

Comment

I'm afraid he did the spring /retainer kit from comp that prevents ya having to machine the spring pockets..He said he used the beehive springs and that I had plenty of room..Idk but it sounds like anot her vortec I built,I used that kit with a zz4 cam and it sounded just like this one,noisy!Constant ticking..Well after taking engine out 2 different times now,I've had enough of this guy.Last conversation I finally snapped after he started saying it's my fault,I shut him off and told him ok,I'll get an attorney..He started being a little nicer after that..I have almost 4600$ in this long block jacking with him!!And 8t still smokes and just doesn't run right..I think the short block is fine,I may just buy me some new heads!Maybe some edelbrock or bowtie vortecs! ???
                              You might not have to have machined the valve pockets but the valve guides need to be machined, from the factory they used a tall valve guide and they only allow .420 lift. Even when they are cut down they are only good to about .525 lift. Your cam with 1.5 rocker has .495/.502 lift, but with 1.6 rockers that lift becomes .528 intake/.535 exhaust. Which is just a little too much lift for those heads. You can try swapping some 1.5 rockers on the motor and see if it quiets it down, since the 1.5 rockers would reduce lift under .525....
                              Last edited by BigAL; February 16, 2016, 01:04 AM.
                              The Green Machine.
                              http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X