Tire and Wheel combos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire and Wheel combos

I sold tires for 9 years and am quite familiar with the aftermarket fitment guides that BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Goodyear etc have to offer. My question is this: Does anyone offer a fitment guide or spreadsheet showing what tire and wheel combos fit well on particular make/model cars?

As an example, through trial and error I have found that a P295/50R15 mounted on a 15"x10" wheel with 4-7/8" backspacing fits quite nicely on the rear of 1968-1970 B-body Mopars.

Thanks,

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Tire and Wheel combos

Most guys who have been thru it know what fits their particular car, but not many guys really care about fitting wheels to all cars.

Also the older the car, the more likely things will be funky and a combo that fits one particular car won't fit another particular car of the same year and model. And some cars are different side to side...I had to pull out the replacement pass side quarter on my 55 to get it to fit the same tire that fits on the driver side, which had the original quarter pulled out and rolled, and whatnot.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've never seen it confirmed yet, but I believe when it comes to Mopars, any wheel on which the backspacing is almost half the rim-width, will fit perfectly. (as long as the tire is not too wide of course)
      I think Mopar put the axle-flanges pretty much dead in the middle of the wheelwells, when looked on from behind.

Here's a 325/50-15" tire on my '60 Chrysler.
      You gotta love those fullsize wheelwells on those fullsize cars... :D

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Ya gotta love a 325 on a car without cutting into the sheetmetal. Early Chevy II owners are jealous!

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I always ran 15x8.5 w/5" bs on all my E-bodys w/ 295-50/15s. Every now and then I would run it to one of those cars that you had to loosen the leaf springs at the axle and shove them as far in on the pin as they would go because it runs really close to the leaf spring but don't worry, I ran over 20k miles on a '70 cuda with this arrangement.

Comment

If you have the patience, go back and look thru the "Pit Stop" section on the HR forum. There's a thread on a gizmo to mount on the hub, set the tire size, and slide the jig to give you the back spacing. It took a while for the name of the gizmo to get entered, but someone did eventually come up with it. My son is a Discount Tire manager (Detroit area) and I suggested that they buy one, but I don't know if they did. It was pretty spendy but is rumored to work well. It was something like "Wheel Master" or "Wheel Rite" or some such. If I sold custom wheels, I'd have one for sure.

Hope that helps
            Dan

Comment

Here's a wheel/tire fitment database for Chevelles:

http://www.chevelles.com/database/

1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

A friend of mine who's working on a pickup bought this gizmo recently and showed it on my DutchMuscleCar-forum.
                Another forum-user mentioned how ridiculous overpriced that thing is, and I can't disagree with him.
                On the friend's photo it was quite obvious at first, but the Summit item shows all the gory plastic details... : No way I will ever lay down that much money for such a flimsy piece of china-plastic... :-X

Here's a similar item;

IMO, this is just a $8.95 part, NOT $89.95!
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

The one that came up in the hR forum was (or seemed to be) out of some sort of metal, and was even more expensive. It looked a lot nicer than this one, though.

Still, a lot of $$ (or Kroner, or Euros, or whatever you guys use!)

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X