No announcement yet.

Bearing failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russell, the drop in spring kit I used is a kit from Alex's parts. He offers a .540" or .600" spring kit. I used the .540" as he was out of the .600" kit which was on back order. The keepers are different for the exhaust valve to compensate for the different location. I bought new seals and a shim kit. New retainers come too.

Brags, the chamber on the P heads is about 60 CD. The advertised compression is 9.5:1. It's interesting to not the P motor was rated for 215 hp, I believe. That's with a very mild cam, incredibly restrictive exhaust manifolds and single exhaust. The last year of the 5.0 in Mustangs, 94, with better manifolds and true dual exhaust was rated at 200 hp. Ford changed their SAE testing, same engine just factored and derated.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I thought the (95 and) 94 GT still had E7 and the cobra got GT40. I have the Alex parts springs.

I would have gotten the tfs but I didn't think they would work b/c of the keeper and locks. That article said that there was also a beehive kit. Looks like it's out of stokes at summit now.
      Last edited by Russell; April 10, 2016, 05:52 AM.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        I thought the (95 and) 94 GT still had E7 and the cobra got GT40. I have the Alex parts springs.

I would have gotten the tfs but I didn't think they would work b/c of the keeper and locks. That article said that there was also a beehive kit. Looks like it's out of stokes at summit now.
        F3ZE GT40 heads on the Cobra I believe... 7/16 head bolts, not the 1/2 the boats and Lightning got with their 351's and GT40's. Ford is so confusing... the truck 302 gets a big runner intake where it would have really benefited from the Cobra or even GT manifold. The "sports" car gets the manifold better suited to the truck. Go Figure.

I lost the math I had on using LS1 beehives. I was looking at the latest BBC springs. They had beehives and the right dimensions and spring rate for a little hotter than mild hydraulic roller cam from what I remember. I may look that up again, or not. haha.
        Last edited by Beagle; April 10, 2016, 06:11 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yeah, the regular Mustang 5.0 used the E7 heads up to the end. The Mustang went from 225 hp to 200 hp. The 25 hp loss was solely due to a different SAE testing that was a more accurate rating.

The whole reason for the P heads was that the Explorer GT40 engine wasn't going to be able to meet Emission standards for 98. The new Explorer that would hold the 4.6 was a few years off and 4.6 wouldn't fit in the current Explorer. Ford needed the V8 option to compete with the Durango that had a V8. Ford was forced to spend the money on R&D new heads for a couple years production that they really didn't want to do. The P not only met the new emissions standards but did so without a smog pump and made more power.

I think it's something like a .020" cut will bring the CC down to 55 CC which will put you around 10:1. I've read due to the efficient combustion chamber of the P heads it only needs like 28-30° total timing.
          Last edited by Huskinhano; April 10, 2016, 06:43 AM.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I want to thank Dick and Dan again for the Volvo engine. I went ahead and unloaded it I hate for them to sit outside. Dan also had an some goodies to help with rhe head swap!

I have to mow the grass tomorrow after that hopefully I can get some welding done. Once the floor pan is finished I can start moving things from the 89 to the 87

Last edited by Russell; April 10, 2016, 07:21 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

took me a second to realize the right one is upside down... kept looking at the accessories going "Barooo?"

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                took me a second to realize the right one is upside down... kept looking at the accessories going "Barooo?"
                after I put the main caps back on I will flip it back over.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

You're more than welcome. Ms. Elliott was a hoot and SUCH a good girl! Hope the engine works for you. I think Dick will be interested to see his "old" engine running down the track - pretty sure he'll be at at least 1 meet coming up.

Can you put a mower deck on Elliott's coupe? Then she could take care of the lawn.

Dan

Comment

A belly mower would not work it's flint stone power. Pull behind might be an option. Tell Dick we can have a old motor vs. New motor race if I can hook and he spins it might be close!

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Don't waste your time with E7TE heads. They are awful for making power. You can make near 80 hp more with just a head swap with fairly mild cam..Good aluminum heads are about $650 each these days.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I am not going to put any money in the E7 heads. I might put the GT40P heads on later. But I still don't plan on putting money in them either. Long term goals are a turbo. Even the E7 can flow enough with boost to split the stock block.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          I am not going to put any money in the E7 heads. I might put the GT40P heads on later. But I still don't plan on putting money in them either. Long term goals are a turbo. Even the E7 can flow enough with boost to split the stock block.
                          that takes all the fun out of it. You're gonna want those GT40p's.. don't want it to be too lopsided. What's the '87 weigh?

Comment

Not much now but it's missing a lot of parts
                            Last edited by Russell; April 15, 2016, 04:49 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Not much, huh. I get it. :|

Comment

?? I am having a slow day! What's lopsided?

I drove 5.0 mustangs for years that had stock motors they are fun, reliable, slow cars! Mine is not get any closer to running mark another week off the calendar with no progress. It's not that much harder to swap the heads in the car, or a couple more hours and I can have it back on the stand.

1)I have to finish the floor.
                                2)Then start moving hoses lines and wires.
                                25 hp extra on the stand is not helping one or two get done.

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X