Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SBC splayed caps

please help me set some numbers straight,

1)how much hp can a stock 2 bolt mains handle?
    2)can the block handle more than 900 if you short fill and splay the caps?
    not to hijack this thread, but for comparison's sake:
    3)i have a 4 bolt mains 350, what can that handle stock?

Comment

Originally posted by JustinSuhas
      please help me set some numbers straight,

1)how much hp can a stock 2 bolt mains handle?
      2)can the block handle more than 900 if you short fill and splay the caps?
      not to hijack this thread, but for comparison's sake:
      3)i have a 4 bolt mains 350, what can that handle stock?

2 bolt 500-650
      4 bolt 550-650
      Early 010, 3 steel splayed, short fill 900ish

Comment

Rpm and tune come into to play as well.
        More stuff gets ruined from bad tunes.

Comment

I know its a different block but my 287 pontiac block didnt have the width to go 4 bolt so i simply had billet 2 bolt mains made and added number 1 to it as well

Comment

I have a 509 casting sbc 400 block in my 406. The 3 middle caps are splayed caps, I also have a Crower 4340 crank, and Manley H-beam rods with full floater forged pistons. Also the block is a low(or regular) cooling block. I was told that my low end was good for 800-1000hp. And no the block isn't filled. You have to realize that on a 400 sbc there is no water between the cylinders they are connect to one another, which makes the cylinder bores much more ridged and resistant to deflection, when compared to a 350 sbc where water runs between the cylinder bores.

And also to what I said about the low cooling block. What I was told is if you measure the pad on the front of the block where the serial numbers are stamped and it is about 2 inches wide that it is a low or regular cooling block. Now if the pad is about 3 1/2 inches wide it is a high cooling block. I'm not really sure what the difference between the two are, but what I'm guessing is that the high cooling block has bigger water jackets in the block to hold more coolant. Which should equate to less material around the cylinders.

Comment

get out the half inch drill martha , gots me some holes to drill

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                I have a 509 casting sbc 400 block in my 406. The 3 middle caps are splayed caps, I also have a Crower 4340 crank, and Manley H-beam rods with full floater forged pistons. Also the block is a low(or regular) cooling block. I was told that my low end was good for 800-1000hp. And no the block isn't filled. You have to realize that on a 400 sbc there is no water between the cylinders they are connect to one another, which makes the cylinder bores much more ridged and resistant to deflection, when compared to a 350 sbc where water runs between the cylinder bores.

And also to what I said about the low cooling block. What I was told is if you measure the pad on the front of the block where the serial numbers are stamped and it is about 2 inches wide that it is a low or regular cooling block. Now if the pad is about 3 1/2 inches wide it is a high cooling block. I'm not really sure what the difference between the two are, but what I'm guessing is that the high cooling block has bigger water jackets in the block to hold more coolant. Which should equate to less material around the cylinders.
                Good info, Alex. I'm really interested in hearing your 406 thump.

GM 400 blocks have a bad reputation. And there are tons of myths. I have the same block as TC has, sitting and ready to build. Mine is fresh at .030 and the cam tunnel is honed oversize. When I get ready to build it, it will be short filled and have splayed caps.

As far as how much power this motor can take and that motor can take, it depends on too many things. I can probably build a small block that will make 1200 HP, but will need work after a few passes. But I can build a 500 SB that will run 3 years without touching it. All depends on what you want.

As far as cooling with a street fill in the block, don't worry. It will be fine and it will cost you $60. The bottom of the bores do nothing for cooling. You can do a steet fill on the block and never think twice about it. If you have a cooling problem, it's not the fill that's doing it.

But your block will be very heavy and it's really not needed until 500+ HP.

Comment

This is a 509 the "good block".

For every hero story about 400 block we see too many failure.
                  If you want over 1k get a Dart. You are just asking for trouble.

Comment

Love that pic. 2-bolt block and it split stright down through the bottom of the cylinders were the bolt holes go. Splayed caps pull from the block walls and a short fill could help make it solid. And that's not a 509 block.

Comment

I always run a dual remote Oil Filter and Cooler Setup on Engines I build. I hav'nt had a problem with OVerheating like some of the other guys do. I'm talking 400 SBC. But it is even better for a 350. I'm getting ready to build a 350 4 bolt now and the first thing I bought for it was the Oiling System. And then have the Caps checked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X