What's best for a posi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's best for a posi

Think I have broke my 9" posi. its a Eaton truetrac .. Been thinking about a Detroit locker what most DW'er running
    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

locker is good. Spool is good if you are ok with the steering issues.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have been looking at the track loc on ebay, says manufacturer is FP, dont know who it is. 4 pin with a forged hat that uses Ford clutches which is supposed to be an improvement over the 2 pin 2 spider gear that came stock..
      Last edited by anotheridiot; June 20, 2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

The cast housing on the ford unit tends to break, so a forged part could be better. What you need depends on a lot of things, most of the more serious cars just need something besides a clutch type limited slip.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Interesting, I have an Eaton Tru-trac in mine from the recommendations of Mr. Bill Fowler, which I interpreted as pretty dang strong. Of course I don't make much power compared to others.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The Eaton tru trac is supposed to be a good one...
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              The Eaton tru trac is supposed to be a good one...
              There all good till they brake... The Truetrac I'm using has done a good job till now.. Called Eaton and spoke with tech they said truetrac will not be as consistent as a locker

Comment

I can believe that...

I've run a locker for 20 years, I like them.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Has anyone, used air lockers, seems I've only seen them in 4x4 offroad use..

Comment

go as tough as the stuff holding it under the car.

I see a lot of broken diff remarks..
                    my locale breaks vehicles in half to the maine cryogenic rear end taking over a 1 ton frame...before nothing even darkened the fluid in the diff. Nevermind hurting it. Never does.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 21, 2016, 08:02 AM.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My 84 C10 has the original G80 locking differential... still works. The Auburn posi and the Eaton style posi I've had in my Chevelle have both worn out... so I guess a locker would be the way I would go next time. A bit more money than rebuilding the Moroso Brute Strength I still have (in a box in my garage), but it seems like the durability of the locker would make it a better choice in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        locker is good. Spool is good if you are ok with the steering issues.
                        It's amazing how many people don't understand one tire spins slower than the other when cornering.

Comment

Made it to the track yesterday and the truetrac seem to work fine still making a clunk turning right

Comment

Originally posted by G-Motive View Post
                            It's amazing how many people don't understand one tire spins slower than the other when cornering.
                            Only if they skipped 7th grade math and science classes.. then most of high school..

I've always wondered.. if you could take a full floater axle, say a nine inch ford, set up like a circle track unit.. then have a locking/unlocking hub on one side or both, and run a spool in the center..
                            locker when you want it, open any other time..
                            I'd think fixing a broken locking hub would be faster/cheaper than having to remove the diff and it most likely have taken out the gears and bearings and/or case.

Comment

9" axles dont have "posi", its not a GM junk stick

Comment

Working...
                              X