Speaking of S-10 Rears.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of S-10 Rears.....

Probably time to think about C-clip eliminators or some such for Mutt the Race Truck. He has the stock S-10 rear that would have come in an '85, at least as far as I know. Hope Terry chimes in here and tells me if there are already C-clip eliminators. And while I'm at it, I probably need a better ratio than the 3:08, like maybe 2:73 or so.

Anyhow, is this the time to come up with a better rear assembly? A 9" is the obvious choice and that solves the C-clip thing. I know they suck up HP which I don't have in abundance. Are there any short factory 9" housings or is there a cheap fix like with the 8.8 where you can use 2 short-side axles and get a pretty short backing plate to backing plate measurement? I could, of course, run an 8.8 but then I'm back to the C-clip thing.

Keep in mind, this is funded by a part of my Social Security so money IS an issue.

Any input is welcome.

Dan

Now you?
    Read my post in Redneckjoe's thread..
    You might as well go to BIAs via the Caddy way.. It also requires changing the side gears in the housing..
    You will still need to put something on your housing ends to take the BIA

Comment

Dan, for some reason I think that truck already has c-clip eliminators. It's easy to check just pull the wheel and brake drum. Post a picture if your not sure. I posted pictures of the ones in the 87 I would guess they would look similar.

What's the red line on the MB? How fast do you want to go? Until I hitting the red line i would not change ratio. I don't know a ratio between 3.08 and 2.73, but you might need shorter tires with the 2.73 to split the difference.

If you want a 9 inch look for a used one already the width you need craigslist, racing junk, ebay etc.

What you forgot to mention, and what mutt really needs is a quick change
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        What you forgot to mention, and what mutt really needs is a quick change
        thanks, saved me some typing
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Once you're out of gear multiplication, i.e.in 3-5th, it would be pretty tough to bust up even a 7.5 from torque (just launch easy). I'd still like a c-clip eliminator if it were me...I'm not sure but the axle sizing out there on the bearing (load-carrying) area looks pretty similar to the normal 10-12-bolt (Chevelle and down, not Impala) and stuff is probably available.

Comment

The rules want C-clip eliminators above a certain speed (a quick check of the book did not turn up the spec) so it's something to be planning for. The quick and dirty is to add C-clip eliminators if they're not already there - I'll take a look. Was there an S-10 with 2:73 (or so) gears? It would probably be easier and cheaper to just swap the whole deal if I can pull one out of PnP and add (or transfer) the C-clip eliminators to the new one. Or I could swap gear sets but I'm (always) looking for the quick & dirty.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              TWas there an S-10 with 2:73 (or so) gears?

Dan
              Yep, I have a 2:73 axle out of a 92 S-10 shortbed. It was a 4.3L 5spd truck.
              I grabbed the axle because I was gonna use the 5spd trans in my V8 truck.
              I got a hold of a 97 NV3500 instead, and now I'm looking for 3:08 gears.

Comment

the gears are probably the same in 78-87 A/G body cars, eh?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hi-jack: Tardis, is the trans from the 4.3 the pre-NV3500 5LM60? I'd had one from a full-size p.u. I thought to put in a 305 g-body El Camino but the shifter is too far forward and hits the dash...I never did the swap but wondered if the S-10 version of the trans had the shifter further rearward. Seems they were rated for 300ft/lbs (?) and should work for a mild application.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    the gears are probably the same in 78-87 A/G body cars, eh?
                    You betcha. Those gears fit any 7.5/7.625 application into the 00's.
                    I was supposed to get the 3:08 3rd shock axle from the 97 S-10 I got the trans from, but they ended up scrapping it... Bastards!

Oh BTW Jim... I added you on facebook.... 'Erich'

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                    Hi-jack: Tardis, is the trans from the 4.3 the pre-NV3500 5LM60? I'd had one from a full-size p.u. I thought to put in a 305 g-body El Camino but the shifter is too far forward and hits the dash...I never did the swap but wondered if the S-10 version of the trans had the shifter further rearward. Seems they were rated for 300ft/lbs (?) and should work for a mild application.
                    Yep, the 92 trans I have is a 'late' 4 rail 5LM60.
                    93-1/2 was the first year for the single rail NV3500.
                    97 is that last year for the 'forward' position S-10/C-truck.
                    98-up they moved the shifter back about 7" if I recall correctly.
                    The shifter location is the same on S10 and C-trucks from 89-97.
                    The 2wd S10 tail housing is actually longer than the 2wd C1500 trans.

300ft-lbs is the rating, 301ft-lbs you might blow it up lol!

Comment

I think I have a set of 2.14 or 2.16 gears for a 7.5" g.m.

Ford 9" has a 1/16th plate to hold the axle in, but a 1/4" thick disc brake clapper bracket and clapper isn't good enough..
                      Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; July 6, 2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Dan, go with the 9 inch and be done with it. I (almost) always get the truck axles. Cheaper because they are too wide to bolt in, better because they usually have 31 spline axles. You can get new axles with different bolt pattern on the flanges if you can't redrill them yourself. Lots of the trucks have the "pig" offset in the first place, right about 3". I usually shorten the "Long" side so that it uses the standard "short" axle on both sides now. This also brings the pinion back to "Centered" for "Hot Rod" type usage
                        See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

8.8 out of a 2wd ranger..
                          or exployer..

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                            8.8 out of a 2wd ranger..
                            or exployer..
                            Still needs C-clip elliminators...

Weird though, Jeep WK(1) Grand Cherokee Dana 44's and Corporate 8.25's have hubs and double splined axles shafts and should count as positively retained units. Gearing on the 8.25's should be available in some silly ratios, McSasquach might even have a set of 2.14's for you.
                            Last edited by CTX-SLPR; July 7, 2016, 07:15 PM.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by V12guy View Post
                              Dan, go with the 9 inch and be done with it. I (almost) always get the truck axles. Cheaper because they are too wide to bolt in, better because they usually have 31 spline axles. You can get new axles with different bolt pattern on the flanges if you can't redrill them yourself. Lots of the trucks have the "pig" offset in the first place, right about 3". I usually shorten the "Long" side so that it uses the standard "short" axle on both sides now. This also brings the pinion back to "Centered" for "Hot Rod" type usage
                              Thanks! Any idea of the total width with 2 short side axles?

Did you get my PM? Probably coming toward Auburn.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X